“Beautiful property”

Montage Laguna Beach
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed 18 December 2013

This hotel is one of the best hotels that I have ever stayed at. The location in South Laguna could not be more scenic, several different coves and beaches within the resort. The service is truly out of this world, they could not be nicer or more attentive. Our room was just a entry level type of room for the Montage...only $500 a night. Great ocean view on the 5th floor with a very comfortable bed and upscale bathroom. Don't kid yourself, the spending dosen't end at the room rate. Drinks at the bar are $17 and the resturants onsite were so riduculously price that we ate downtown. Mandatory valet parking is $36 per day. This hotel is a special occasion type of place...don't forget your wallet.
I had to take a star off for one thing though. On the morning we were checking out we were notified that they would be checking the fire alams intermittantly between 10 am to 1:30 pm. It started at 10 am for 35 minuets straight. I was so piercing that my ears did not clear out until we reached Palm Springs. I understand that it is a safety issue and designated by the city of Laguna Beach Fire Dept, but could it be scheduled at a more appropriate time like 1 pm to 3 pm when guests have checked out and new guests have not checked in yet. We usually like to check out leisurely at about 12. We raced to get our things together to get out as fast as we could. I don't think this was acceptable when you are paying so much.
It is a great resort, but all considered I don't know if we will be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paul p
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

I truly regret that your relaxing visit was disrupted and hope you will allow us to make this up to you. Please reach out to me using the contact information I left you in a private message.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I am a local and won a weekend at the Montage in a charity auction. My experience there previously had been dining at Studio, which is a phenomenal restaurant, and having drinks in the bar. Our room was SMALL and the service was average especially for the price. I would suggest something other than a standard room. if you are there during a busy period, getting treated less well than you would expect from a hotel charging these rates. The positives are the spa was amazing, the location is perfect and the valet damaged my car but the hotel quickly paid for the repairs.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dan P
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My husband and had a couple of free days and decided to stay at The Montage Resort in Laguna Beach for our anniversary. We have stayed twice before and have always had a good experience. The spa is very pampering and the hotel location, right on the ocean, is the best spot on the coast.

When we arrived at our room they had a complimentary bottle of champagne on ice (the good stuff!) and the most amazing chocolates (made in house) with a card wishing us a Happy Anniversary. Even better, when we were down at the spa, one of the gals that worked there overheard us say we were there for our anniversary and she made up a gift bag of lotions and a candle and brought it to us while we were sitting by the pool (complete with a bow!)

Also, the food, albeit pricey is excellent quality. We had breakfast, dinner and lunch (at the Restaurant by the Spa and the Restaurant right below the lobby level) and were impressed with the portions and the taste.

It was unseasonable warm when we visited and we wanted to hang out down by the beach for the day. However beach service is closed after Labor Day. But true to Montage's attitude that they will do whatever they can to make your stay memorable, they had 2 lounge chairs and an umbrella waiting for us on the beach when we walked down. It's a pricey place, but unlike a lot of expensive 5-star hotels, these guys make it worth the cost.

Note: The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because every time we have been there we try to get an upgrade with our Amex Platinum and we never are able to get it. Last time we went in the middle of the week and were surprised nothing was available. Seems like they may want to stop offering the Amex "deal" if they never have it available as it does cause bad feelings after 3 tries (all stays were on the off season in the middle of the week). Although I seem to have that issue with my Platinum card a lot lately (last place was the Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco). Maybe I just need to find a new credit card ;)

Room Tip: Get the top floor on the South wing of the hotel for best views and quiet rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DaCodaChicago
Reviewed 9 December 2013

After spending some wonderful vacations at Montage Beverly Hills, my wife and I recently stayed at Montage Laguna Beach. Based on our experiences at the Beverly Hills property, we had high expectations. They may have been too high.

The Good:
*The restaurant - STUDIO - is located on the property and is fantastic. My wife and I enjoyed a 3hr+ meal complete with outstanding service, great food and wine, and a first class atmosphere. The staff is incredibly friendly, competent, and delivered an outstanding experience.
*The service all-around was very good, particularly the staff at LOFT, the casual restaurant on-site which handled a mad lunch rush on a Saturday afternoon like pros. Remembering a guest's name always goes a long way. This property makes a concerted effort to do just that and it is appreciated.
*The gym is more than sufficient and offers outstanding ocean views which makes working out a lot more enjoyable than usual.
*The complementary car service in town makes dining out really easy. The service was prompt, the drivers were courteous, and the car is impeccably clean. I highly recommend taking advantage of this service.

The Less-than-Good:
*Nothing at Montage Laguna Beach is necessarily bad. Again, the basis of comparison (Montage Beverly Hills) is excellent, so these "flaws" are noticeable largely because of that.
*The on-site casual restaurant, LOFT, offers a free coffee bar literally at the entrance of the restaurant. This is awesome. However, if you eat breakfast at the restaurant and order a coffee, you're charged $7. That's just poor taste.
*Luxury hotels that charge guests for wi-fi access are dwindling. Unfortunately, the hotel charges $10+/day for wi-fi. Guests don't like to feel nickle-and-dime'd. If the hotel really wants the revenue, just build it into the price of the room.
*Sunday morning at 9am my wife and I awoke to the sound of drilling. Maintenance is expected, but commencing drilling on a Sunday morning is a detail that shouldn't be overlooked.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave M
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Thank you for your compliments of our food and beverage outlets; I only wish your entire experience had been flawless. We are eager to amend your impression. Please reach out to me with the contact information I left you in a private message. We appreciate your patronage at our sister property and are confident that your next visit to Montage Laguna Beach will not disappoint.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I told my wife that I would stay another night in the Laguna area on one condition....we leave the Ritz and go to the Montage. Was I so glad we did. From the minute you walk in, this hotel has a "wow" factor. It's not a grand hotel in any fashion. It's intimate, beautiful, romantic. and will leave you wanting to come back for more. The lobby area and bar area has an amazing view of the pool and coast below. The beaches are spectacular here. Pool is heated to 82 all year round and the grounds are beautiful.

The rooms are very well appointed with a fully stocked mini bar and a beautiful bathroom with a nice large tub for your wife to soak away.

We had a fantastic dinner at The Loft with great service. They even have a Fromerge, which most hotels don't have. I believe here name was Cami. She came out to find out what cheeses we like and don't like and put together the most amazing cheese platter. Kudos to her!

We enjoyed listening to the piano in the lounge area upstairs and Emma (waitress) was a delight.

This hotel serves up the best and I am looking forward to our return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

I’m so glad you decided to join us before your trek home. I am certain that many more wonderful, romantic getaways await you at Montage Laguna Beach.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I recently stayed at the Montage Laguna for 6 nights with husband and two children while travelling the US. This is a spectacular hotel with amazing views. The room was spacious with two queen beds and beautifully fit out with french doors that overlooked the ocean and pool view.
We were close to the hotel lobby and got a lot of noise from other guest hanging out on the lobby balcony at night.

The breakfast was very disappointing and i found the fact they charge $10 for a (takeaway) latte and $30+ dollars for a club sandwich by the pool a little over the top. Over all the food at the hotel needs improvement.

The service we received from the staff was disappointing, they were rude and very unfriendly, we expected a lot more for the price we paid per night!

The free car service into Laguna was great and the driver was lovely..except you were waiting along time for them to come even if you had booked in a time to be collected.

I would love to return here one day as i loved Laguna, i just really hope that next time we visit there is a BIG improvement with the attitude and overall service of the staff, it definitely has potential to be an amazing hotel.

Room Tip: Not near the Lobby and all rooms have an ocean/pool view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JCICTravel

Please view the private message I sent you with my contact information. I am disappointed that your stay was subpar, and assure you this was certainly not to our Montage standard. We do not wish for any of our guests to leave feeling dissatisfied, and wish for every experience you have with us to be perfect. We are eager to welcome you back and redefine your impression. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

This weekend, I surprised my husband with a two night stay at The Montage Laguna Beach for his birthday. I had planned a scavenger hunt down the coast for him, and we stopped at many places to get clues until we finally ended up at The Loft for lunch. All staff members, including Mr. Todd Orlich, were extremely helpful in assisting me with our stay so that the big scavenger hunt would go off without a hitch. After we finished our lunch at The Loft, our server, Eric, brought out the final clue for my husband with his dessert, which led him to our room. Eric made our dining experience fantastic, as he always does. After dessert, we went to find the final clue taped on our room door. I had decorated our room when I checked in earlier in the day with gifts, balloons, and flowers, so when my husband walked into the room, it was like a little surprise party.

We spent two wonderful nights at The Montage, and all service was phenomenal, from the pool to the valets to housekeeping. For my husband's birthday, they sent champagne, which was a nice gesture, although we do not drink alcohol. During the day, the weather was perfect. On Saturday, we sat by the pool and watched as they put up the spectacular Christmas tree. On my husband's actual birthday evening, I made reservations at The Studio for dinner, and I am so thankful I did. It was truly incredible! I will review the dining experience separately. I do not know why we waited so long to try The Studio!

It was the perfect place to surprise my husband for his birthday weekend! The views, the service, and the food were all excellent. The Montage really is my favorite local hotel in Orange County, and we will be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Laguna Beach House
Laguna Beach House
#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!