“As close to perfect as a hotel can get!”

Montage Laguna Beach
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Perfect in every way. We had two connecting rooms with a beautiful view of the Pacific and the gorgeous hotel pool. The service is excellent and accommodating. The rooms are so pretty and comfortable. My kids who have been to many excellent hotels were blown away. The hotel gym overlooks the water and is so nice it made us all want to go work out twice a day! The first night we were there, there was a private function at the restaurant down by the pool. At some hotels that could have been a bit of a drag, but they had an excellent musician and we sat on our balcony and listened and were disappointed when it was over. We decided it was too pretty to leave the hotel so we ate at The Loft and had a great meal. Breakfast was also outstanding. We wished we had chosen to stay longer and next time we will!

Room Tip: Splurge for the room with a view. It is so worth it!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jkbmb
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Your heartwarming sentiments have been shared with the team who are eager to welcome you back for another memorable getaway. Thank you for your praise. We go great lengths to please our guests and positive feedback is truly the best reward we could ask for.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Awesome vacation last week at Montage. The extras (food, spa, room service) are VERY pricey but overall this resort was well worth the money. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and hated to leave. The pool area was spectacular, although the service there was a little bit spotty. The adult pool by the spa is the place to be, especially in the afternoons. Make sure to check out the gym which looks out to the ocean and in the mornings walk along the bike/jogging path that looks out over the beach.

Room Tip: The partial ocean view rooms aren't that great. The rooms themselves are fine but splurge for th...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doug E
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

I booked a room for my husband's 40th birthday and from start to finish it was the best experience.

From the valet to the front desk to the person who poured my coffee at breakfast, every person was genuinely friendly and knowledgable. They cater to an upscale clientele but they are not at all snooty or stuffy. We were not by any means the upper crust of the people that stayed there, but every employee treated every guest this way.

The amenities are fantastic but let's be honest you pay the price for those things. And maybe you do pay to have great service but I've been to expensive hotels that fail in this area or it feels like people are being nice because you are paying for it.

Kudos to the management. I'm going to save up just to stay there again for a longer time.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

I am certain that many more restful beach getaways await you!. Thank you for choosing to spend your vacation at Montage. We look forward to re-creating your extraordinary experience soon.

Warmly,

Reviewed 17 March 2014

If you stay here, you will not be diappointed. Everything is top notch! The rooms large and clean. Service impecable. Pool, spa, and general resort areas are some of the best anywhere. View from lobby bar breathtaking.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We spent a weekend at the Montage and it exceeded our expectations. The staff at this hotel is by far the most friendly and welcoming that we've ever encountered--they are what make this hotel so enjoyable. The views from and around the hotel are spectacular. The only complaint, is that there's a gap under the door, so you hear the sounds from the hallway as if it was in your room. We loved our stay and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I had been to the the spa Montage in another visit out here for business. My husband and I had a conference to attend in SoCal so I suggested we drive down the coast from Newport. He surprised me with a stopover for a night at the Montage. I had heard it was pricey - it is so worth it. Every detail is top notch. At check in our desk clerk (all polite, professional and decked out in cute embroidered uniforms) walked us to our room. When our bags came the bell boy had a complementary split of chilled champagne which he opened for us to toast our stay. Our room is big and light filled - we don't have the greatest ocean view but there is a nice deck and it is incredibly luxurious while cozy. The bath is stocked with amazing lemon verbena products - no skimping, large sizes etc- and scented candles to light with your soaking bath. Like a magazine. At dinner we were tired so went to the Loft early. Unfortunately the window table we had booked wasn't ready so they suggested outside seating. It was a bit cool, they turned on the heat lamp, wrapped a soft shawl around me and then brought us complementary cocktails because of the seating change. Terrific food, all fresh and interesting. Best arugula salad ever. You feel like the workers here are proud of the place and empowered. After dinner and a great sunset, we had the best sleep in the pillow topped bed (wow, great mattress). In the morning went to look for a coffee shop but oh no, coffee is free and delicious. So I decided to go on and write a review because this is a highly unusual experience- beautiful, friendly, generous in all respects. I pulled up the internet expected to pay a daily rate - nope, that is free too. Wonderful. We will be back for sure.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gail G
Reviewed 7 March 2014

After experiencing top-quality service at the Montage Deer Valley last winter, I'm starting to get the feel of the small (but growing) Montage hotel chain after our recent stay in Laguna. This hotel chain is, by far, the best of them all. It beats Four Seasons, Ritz, St. Regis by miles. We spent 4 nights at the Laguna hotel in February to attend a wedding. The service at Montage is beyond compare -- the nicest, friendliest staff that will go out of their way for you...little touches like frequently wishing us "good morning" and "good evening" can go a long way.

Room: We stayed in a little bungalow room closer to the beach. It was comfortable and nicely appointed, though walls were a little thin and we could hear the people's radio next door. Bathroom was large with a beautiful tub. The water pressure for the shower was a little too rough for the kids, though. Housekeeping did a wonderful job tidying up and always came at convenient times.

Lobby: One of the most beautiful and well-decorated lobbies I have seen. Large and sophisticated, though not overly pretentious. Very comfortable with great service, evening entertainment, and fun people watching.

Kids: The pool is heated and the kids enjoyed it daily, as well as the hot tub. The front desk offered them little stuffed animals upon arrival. My only gripe is that it would be nice if there was a game room with arcade and foosball (they had a great game room in Deer Valley). It's nice to have a game room close by while parents can enjoy a cocktail in the lobby. We did check out the Kids Club room but it was empty and seemed to cater to smaller children and my kids are in grade school and can pretty self-manage. The restaurants offer kids menus upon request.

Notes for improvement: The valet fee is high and the driveway did get crowded at times, though valet service was friendly. Also, it would be nice if the hotel offered daily bottled water in the rooms. They did bring extra bottle water with our room service at no charge, but this should be included in the resort fee as it is becoming standard industry practice.

I hope Montage develops a loyalty program. This is becoming my favorite hotel chain and I'm looking forward to their new openings.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

I have sent you a private message with my contact information. I hope to learn more about your experience and ensure perfection on your next visit. Please call me when the opportunity allows. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,

Laguna Beach House
Laguna Beach House
#2 of 23 in Laguna Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!