“Lovely way to experience Laguna Beach”

Montage Laguna Beach
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed 28 August 2014

My friends and I enjoyed the Montage as part of a girlfriends weekend recently. We spent the morning walking the bluffs and beach areas, easily accessible from the Montage, then headed back to the lobby for a libation before lunch. The wait staff was as gracious as could be, and we enjoyed the pianist's selections as we chatted and sipped our drinks. Will return as soon as possible!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CS56

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Laguna Beach may be the most spectacular beach I've ever seen, it has everything - white sand, stunning blue water, huge waves, gigantic rocks and the Montage gives you great views of it all. Our room was spacious and quiet not far from the pools. The hotel is a bit confusing to navigate but the beach access and our room's proximity to the pools made up for that. The staff seemed eager to please, especially the room service staff and Concierge. Spa has great classes run by enthusiastic leaders. My only complaint was the lack of a quiet pool. There's one very large and noisy pool and the race is on in the morning to reserve chairs facing the beach and away from the crowds. There is a spa pool that is open to guests getting spa treatments only. This is fair, however, my wife was getting a treatment so she was allowed to be at the pool but I was not. This seemed a bit draconian to me.

All in all this is a stunning hotel but be aware there is no golf and no tennis. There are tennis courts about 10 minutes away by car but they are $35/hour (higher fee for guests of the Montage of course).

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room with a patio, views probably not as good but two minute walk out the pati...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sbgild
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I was here for a business meeting and it was a wonderful treat to be working in such beautiful surroundings. The staff is very attentive and their attention to detail is impressive. I was on the property for five days and every day was a delight. I hope I can return for a vacation soon. It was hard to look out at everyone in their resort wear and not want to join them!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Came here for four nights with family. Service great , rooms super, comfortable and clean. View outstanding. Downsides $35 per night for parking. Reception areas bit prissy but full of noisy Americans . Came last year and will be back again

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Excellent discrete service, beautiful grounds and beach. Great cuisine at all the venues. Watching the fireworks from the property was perfect. Close to Laguna Beach, but over a three day stay we never went to town,

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LesRequins
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My wife and I have been fortunate to stay at The Montage - Laguna Beach several times, and each visit is consistently excellent! Yes, the hotel is expensive, but the location, facility, and staff are definitely worth the experience! The Loft is wonderful whether for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or cocktails and appetizers! The resort has its own Fromager who can assemble the best cheese selection along with various fruits, crackers, and exotic honeys!
The pool area is so comfortable and restful along with friendly food and bar service!

Room Tip: Room 454 has a wonderful frontal view of the ocean, pool, and the coastline south of the resort! Al...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VenturaDaddyo
Reviewed 18 August 2014

"I'm sorry, we don't have that, but you have a GREAT day!"

That line epitomizes the Montage. My family and I recently stayed at the Montage for three days as a stop over after a long flight from London. We had read all the "awesome" reviews on Trip Advisor, so we were looking forward to the stay.

And throughout our stay, I really wanted to like the place but it became harder and harder to do. And in the end I have to conclude that while it's a beautiful location, the rooms are nice but nothing to rave about, but the coup de grace was the consistently inconsistent service.

The staff are over-the-top energetic and friendly. When they take your requests, be it a food or a drink order or for towels by the pool, they often ended their response with an energetically delivered "beautiful" or "perfect." But they're much more trained in the "tour guide Barbie" school (for those parents who have watched Toy Story 2 more times than they care to remember) than the École Hôtelière de Lausanne as the off the scale positive energy often didn't translate to actual consistent execution.

Setting the service issues aside for a moment, the hotel's location is beautiful with gorgeous views of the ocean. The grounds are well manicured and pretty. The rooms are fine for a high end hotel, but not extraordinary nor memorable. There were certainly signs of wear and tear here and there. In our room, one of the power plugs was falling out of the wall; the TVs were old, and the phones even older.

But what really lead me to looking forward to checking out was the service....the proverbial death by a thousand cuts, Montage style.

It started with the check in. We arrived from an 11 hour flight from London topped off by a couple of hours on the 405 freeway. So we were happy (and tired) to have finally arrived.

As we walked into the lobby, it was jammed. They were hosting some type of reception in the lobby and there was more bedlam than a soothing arrival at a cool resort (and it's worth noting that the Montage is a local "destination" so expect quite a bit of local traffic like weddings and various events to add to the crowds). One of the participants in whatever the event was arrived steps ahead of us at the reception, with a large gin and tonic in hand and five, one hundred dollar notes that he wanted changed into twenties. Unfortunately, there was only one check in clerk manning reception (surprisingly for late afternoon) and she took a few minutes to grab the cash and methodically count it out as we waited with a couple of exhausted and jet lagged young daughters. Then to top off our first impressions, the gentleman in question, with cash in hand, then proceeded to drop his extra large gin and tonic all over the reception floor in front of me with a substantial splash. Fortunately he soaked himself and I dodged out of the way. Welcome to the "five star" Montage.

Once the reception clerk got to us, the check in process was quick and efficient. She even pulled out a radio flyer red wagon with stuffed toys, which my girls loved as they each got to pick one. That was cool and appreciated.

We had asked for a crib and rail guards for one of the beds for our daughters. We had also asked for Silk milk. None of that was in the room, but they had helpfully installed a mini refrigerator to hold the Silk, once it arrived. We made a phone call and the crib, rail guards and Silk milk all appeared. Not a big deal, but a five star hotel would have had all that in the room as had been requested.

As we further settled down in our room, I logged onto the wifi. The clerk who showed us the room noted that when you log into the guest network, you'll default to a $19.99 per day wifi option, but if you scroll down, there was a free, albeit slower, wifi option. So I logged into the free wifi. It was, as she promised, slow. In fact, she under promised. The free option was really really slow. The next day after losing patience waiting for NYTimes on my iPad to download (it took minutes and minutes on the free wifi) I opted for the "high speed" $19.99 per day wifi. That was faster.....but still slow. At one point it took an hour to download a 600 MB file. That's not what I'd call "high speed" in this day and age, and certainly not for $19.99 per day. Not exactly five star

With kids, room service is essential and here it was hit and miss. What was perhaps most annoying was what should have been the basic part: phoning in your order. Rare was it we phoned in an order without being put on hold. One time, when my wife was ordering dinner for our daughters, she was put on hold three times. When she expressed some exasperation to the staffer on the other end if the phone, she was told "well ma'am we have other guests." Well thank you Captain Obvious. But it made me wonder why they didn't have more staff manning the phones. Not exactly five star.

Our first night my wife and I decided to eat in the room as we were tired after the long flight. We asked that when the room service arrived, that they please knock softly as our daughters were asleep. But that didn't stop them from phoning our room (the ringers on the room phones were loud) to tell us that our order was being sent up. Uh? So much for soft knocking on the door. BTW they called as the food was being sent up later than promised and hence the presumed reason for the "it'll be right up" phone call. Not exactly five star.

Another challenge to maintaining quiet was the turn down service on our second night. I was reading my daughter a bedtime story and she was almost asleep. I had forgotten to place the "privacy" sign on the door knob, and there was suddenly a very loud knocking on the door. I got off the bed where I was reading to my daughter and before I could take two steps to the door, the housekeeper had opened the door, stuck her head through and said "hello" in quite a loud voice. That hit the reset button on getting my daughter to go to sleep. Again, not exactly five star.

Mini bars can also be essential when traveling with young kids who wake up early in the morning. We had adjoining rooms, so we had two mini bars at our service. My daughters liked the apple juice and orange juice, so they had some on the first morning. On the second morning, our mini bar had not been restocked, but I raided the mini bar in our other room. Third morning? No more mini bars to raid as we only had two and neither had been restocked over two days. I called housekeeping, who after I explained what I needed then transferred me to in-room dining (so I could explain what I needed all over again). They sent up the juice bottles, but only after asking "were you in your rooms around 10 am, as that's when we typically restock?" While that felt like she was seeking an excuse (it was our fault for being in the room) I noted that we were never in the room in the morning. No exactly five star.

Breakfast. Breakfast was in The Loft. The menu looked quite good, but the actual food was a disappointment and the service was inconsistent. On our first morning, our food arrived within 10 minutes of ordering. We were impressed. The next three days, it took over 30 minutes. And the funny thing was it was the first morning that was by far the most crowded. Portions were huge. The huevos rancheros could have fed a small village and the croissants looked liked they'd fail a PEDs test, as they were the biggest I've ever seen. But big doesn't equate to good. And they was true for most of the food. One morning I ordered scrambled eggs with sausage. Pretty basic stuff. It was insipid. The eggs were totally dry and not particularly hot. The sausages were a fraction above room temperature. The meal evoked a "free buffet" as an airport motel rather than a high end resort. We were in a bit of a rush that morning (heading to Disney) and as I had already been waiting 10 minutes for a coffee refill I really had no chance to complain, but clearly my breakfast had been left out for quite some time waiting to be delivered to the table. The fact that they did deliver that poor quality food does not speak to an attentive staff. The one dish that was consistently good was the pancakes, much to our daughters' pleasure. Coffee refills were hit and miss depending on your server but more often than not I was waving my arm to get someone's attention for that needed jolt of Java (we had flown in from London, so were a bit jet lagged.). All in all, not exactly five star.

But it didn't end there. If you eat outside on the balcony at The Loft (which is great because of the views) try not to look down. They have a woven mat rug under the tables (not the smartest idea in a restaurant) and it is filthy. Food stains are everywhere to the point that even my three and a half year old daughter pointed to one large stain in the floor and said "yucky, daddy." The wooden chairs and tables outside and very beaten up and in desperate need of repainting or replacing as they are very long in the tooth. Not exactly five star.

My wife and I ate dinner at The Loft one night. As the hostess sat us down, my wife said out loud "hmmm, there are crayons on the floor under the table." The hostess smiled and said "you have a GREAT meal" and left the crayons under our feet for the rest of the meal. My wife and I both ordered the same dishes and they were fine, BUT let's just say we both ended up enjoying Pepto Bismol chasers for dessert some hours later. Not exactly five star.

And that wasn't the only example of energetic, but ineffective staff. We were all enjoying the very crowded pool one afternoon. As I got in with my daughters I saw a large apple core floating in the water. Presumably it was dropped in the pool by a sea gull (or one of the large number of kids in the pool). I tossed it out of the pool onto the pool deck about two feet from the water's edge. And there it sat for the next 90 minutes, untouched by the constant stream of staff walking over and around it. Eventually as I was toweling off my daughters (and it was quieting down as it was after 6 pm and the pool staff were closing umbrellas and rearranging the chaise lounges) an intrepid pool staffer finally picked up the apple core and threw it out. Not exactly five star.

And don't expect to find much solace in the spa pool, the only kid-free pool on the property. It's reserved for people getting spa treatments, unless they're not particularly busy. And that means the pool is your only option and when we were there it was super crowded (think when the caddies hit the pool in Caddyshack). While I was there with two young daughters I did feel bad for any adults trying to enjoy a quiet time by the pool. It was much more summer camp than a cool spa. In fact, it really got over the top when the kids club, which was a lot of boys that day, arrived en masse to play a bunch a pool games at very energetic volume. Not exactly five star.

Then there was the Kids Club. One critical word of advice for parents: reserve way in advance. Stupid us, but we thought it would be like all the other kids clubs we've used at other high end resorts and we could show up. Nope. Think of it more like a very popular spa. We managed to book a four hour slot----in three days hence. The Montage knew we were coming with kids as we had made a number or arrangements but nobody alerted us to the need to reserve the kids club way in advance. Not exactly five star.

As I struggled to decide how best to describe the Montage, the word that came to mind was "industrial." This isn't the bespoke, truly five star service you would find at an Aman, a good Four Seasons, a One and Only (I'm writing this review from the One and Only Palmilla, as we continue our holiday, so it's a pretty sharp contrast in what is five star) or a Rosewood--the only thing that compares to those is the price. The Montage is a mass market place trying to spin themselves as intimate and über high end. The one thing that is clearly high end is the price. So, if a beautiful albeit very crowded setting with high prices but adequate to poor service is your cup of tea, then the Montage is for you.

Room Tip: We were in 351/352 which were one floor below, but right next to the outdoor seating area of The Lof...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank SohoJohn
MauricioSouzaDoR, Director of Rooms at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2014

Thank you for being our guests at Montage Laguna Beach and for taking the time to share a detailed review of our resort. I regret to learn of the disappointments you experienced during your stay here, especially because they hindered what should have been a pleasant family vacation. Would you please respond to the private message I've sent you? I look forward to your contact and appreciate your time.

Respectfully,

The Resort at Pelican Hill
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#5 of 18 in Newport Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!