“Excellence Across the Board”

Montage Laguna Beach
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed 23 February 2010

The Montage exceeds expectations on all counts.

The rooms are gorgeous and all ocean-front with incredible views of Laguna Beach and complete with sliding doors and outdoor seating. I was delighted at how quiet the halls and rooms are, despite the fantastic in-suite sound system. The bed linens and pillows are luxurious, as are the bath products. The turn-down chocolates are heavenly.

The food at The Loft was consistently delicious and innovative.

The pool was a delightful temperature, even in February. The ocean walkway, the surrounding landscape, and the beach were stunning.

The staff at the Montage is beyond attentive and helpful. Everyone, from the valet, to the front desk clerks, to the concierge, to the pool-staff, the waitstaff, and the housekeeping staff-- absolutely fantastic, polite, and hard-working. By far, the kindest hotel staff that I have ever encountered.

Their slogan includes the line: "The Montage is were you live" and that says it all. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,372)

Reviewed 8 February 2010

I stayed at the Montage last week for 2 nights. Its a short drive from San Diego. I was there for a conference and I stayed in a king room with a balcony and fantastic ocean views. The room was beautifully decorated. My husband joined me on the last night and we went into town (the old Beach House for dinner - great food!). The service was impeccable. I was shown to my room and my luggage followed shortly. Everyone is extremely polite and remembers you by name. I ordered room service and it was promptly delivered to my room (not cheap $45 for a burger, coke and water). The room was spacious and there was a desk and a little sectional couch with an ottoman. Ample closet space, nice large bathroom with 2 sinks and a tub. The shower is a little small, but rather a smaller shower than a tub/shower combo. The main areas are gorgeous, breathtaking views of the ocean from the lobby. Unfortunately it rained for 2 days, but we did manage to get a walk in between showers. If you want a great getaway and can handle the cost, I would highly recommedn this hotel, it is the perfect location for a special ocasion.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 January 2010

I have been fortunate enough to visit Montage many times. Each time the service, food and hotel itself are second to none. It is one of the most beautiful settings you can imagine. Each room I've stayed in has had an AMAZING view.

I can't wait for my next trip to Laguna to be able to enjoy my favorite place to relax and be pampered.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 January 2010

Only had a two night stay as I flew down for business. I've heard great things about this hotel but this was my first experience. It certainly lived up to its expectations! The service was wonderful and the staff extremly friendly and helpful.

Beautiful ocean views from all public spaces and my room. Never really spent too much time in Laguna Beach but if I can stay at the Montage again I will come back for sure.

The food in Studio was over the top. Service excellent and cuisine was to die for. My clients were equally impressed!

Rooms were beautiful and the beds very comfortable. Room service was also great!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 January 2010

My husband & our two young daughters had the pleasure of staying at Montage over New Years weekend. It was a phenominal experience at every turn!! From the moment we arrived, we were treated like a close relative coming for a holiday visit. Our girls were presented with toys upon arrival along with a split of champagne and even sparkling cider for the little ones. Our personal escort (we bypassed the front desk for check-in) to the room presented my 5 year old with a personalized letter about all the kids activities that weekend......boy did she feel important! We ordered a crib & recieved a diaper can & travel sized baby products along with it. Our dinner at The Loft was fantastic! Both the hostess & the server used our names (& the girls) and presented the girls with stuffed animals & had their names written in chocolate on their dessert plates. The gal at the retail shop was charming. I found myself drawn to a particular fragrance, but wanted to see how I liked it before purchasing. She gave me about 4 samples of it so I could try it first. When we checked out and had the car pulled around, they had two bottled waters and 2 logod ball caps in the dash. What a wonderful weekend and what a wonderful place to experience!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 January 2010

They greet you at the door and follow you to your room and take care of the reg details there. The rooms ARE big and all ocean facing. We got our hotel on hotels.com for $400 smacks and it's worth about 800 per nite.
The valet is cheap at $30 per nite and I have never seen that low of a rate in a high end area.
Each morning they have complimentary coffee put til about 11:00 am, the station is clean and always well stocked as it is in the loft. So you don't have to leave the hotel to get coffee or order room service, it's just out and available like it should be.
Beth the Yoga instructor is fabulous. Tess the spin instructor printed out hikes for us. The service was the way it should be quick and efficient but not over done with 45 good mornings they get to be intrusive, they have written the book on good service.
I have never had such a wonderful experience in all my life.
Yes, the food is on the pricier end but very delicious and creative.
If you want a bargain walk up the hill to La Sirena grill for great fresh food.
Also Lovely Nails across the street delivered the best pedi/maniucre I have had in years.
I can't wait to come back.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 January 2010

The views from the property and landscaping are stunning and the rooms and decor are great. Only negative on the rooms was the lighting which we felt was not enough at night-time. Being 2 miles from town was no problem. Kids camp is very good. Security is very strong here. Concierges are excellent. Spa is definitely overpriced and we avoided it. Main problem for us was that food and beverage pricing is over the top even for a top hotel (unless you want to compare it to top European hotels with a Euro at 1.50) and a lot of it wasn't really that exceptional compared to other properties, especially at the prices they are charging. The reason a bowl of oatmeal is $17 is probably to deter people from sitting and just eating a bowl of it for breakfast but a family of 4 can easily run up a bill of $100 on the a la carte menu at breakfast and most of it really wasn't that special. Cocktails in the lobby bar are $25 and that's probably due to day trippers and locals coming onto the property. Some of the pricing is just plain stupid. Take chicken breast on the kiddie menu with broccoli and potato and it is $27 via room service, but if you take chicken fingers you get the broccoli and potato for $8 less. A great hotel is not just supposed to know your name and provide excellent service; it is supposed to provide a feeling of hospitality and warmth and give you a sense of value for your money once you have paid for the right to be on the property. In this sense, this hotel fails. You feel that you are being gouged on the food and beverage to the point that it doesn't feel right especially since going off the property is not so easy, and if you sit in the lobby and are not revenue producing, you know that you are not welcome mainly because you are taking up space that a walk-in could be using. We couldn't feed our kids new year's eve at 6pm in the hotel restaurant since they were full; they were dressed up to eat and we got kicked out of the lobby with them even though it was the only public place to sit with them. My wife and I nodded off one evening and we got kicked out again. Who hasn't nodded off to the piano-man in a hotel lobby at 10pm? My wife does that all the time and we've never been given the boot before. As a destination resort, they could provide more value on F&B by offering sides of some of their breakfast dishes such as oatmeal at a more reasonable price and encouraging people to get fruit and pastries by offering it at a tack-on price to an entree or giving out some stuff for free such as a glass of juice or putting some fruit on the table and making you feel good in the morning at the hotel you've just spent at least a grand to stay in the night before. The stuff was so expensive that we avoided many things we'd normally like to have for breakfast and only enjoyed the New Years breakfast buffet which actually cost our family more overall but provided better value. That said, some of the F&B is very good; we had dinner at the Studio fine dining restaurant and it was excellent. The German chocolate cake from the room service menu is a real winner as are the coconut filled ganoche chocolates they send over for turndown sometimes. Pound for pound worth the extra money over the Loft for dinner which we thought was decent but in no way outstanding. Mosaic at the pool also had good items for breakfast and lunch. Basically, this is a hotel that does a lot of things right and has a top notch staff kicking butt and they are certainly attentive to your needs (if they overhear you saying something you want, they run and get it; I remarked to a housekeeper about the fantastic turndown chocolates in our room and she called up and had them send over a bunch of it), but in certain ways it is a rather cold place in terms of hospitality and value and it doesn't leave us tremendously enthusiastic to return. We also were a bit surprised that there didn't seem all that much to do on the property and we might be checking out other resorts such as the St. Regis if we were to return to the area.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Laguna Beach House
Laguna Beach House
#3 of 23 in Laguna Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!