“We found our new home in Laguna!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Vegas
“We found our new home in Laguna!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

I must admit...I was VERY nervous about staying at this hotel. The revews on Trip Advisor lead me to believe that I would be staying at an over priced, run down property with less than acceptable service. I had no choice - I had pre-payed for the entire 6-day stay July 30 thru Aug 4th in order to take advantage of the (non-refundable) "advance purchase" promotion. Well, I am beyond THRILLED to report that my children & I had the most amazing experience; far more than I could have hoped for: 1) As far as the reports that it's over priced, check out the other beah front properties; Hotel Laguna, etc...They are all a bit pricey. It's Laguna Beach! Pacific Edge room rates are right on par with its neighbors. 2) As far as the service - the staff went above and beyond to make sure every request we made was accommodated. And the staff is s friendly. It's clear that they enjoy working for this company. 3) As far as run down - I guess I didn't see this aspect of the hotel. My room was clean, always over-stocked with towels, etc...and the property/location is gorgeous.
My 2 children (ages 14 & 4) and I travel 2 Laguna Beach twice a year to visit family. We will never stay anywhere else. Pacific Edge is our new home in Laguna and we can't wait for our next visit. I guess the only negative thing I can say is that our vacation had to come to an end after 6 days of rest, relaxation, great dining at this hotel & in the vicinity, and a family memory that we will not soon forget. Thank you Pacific Edge! See you again soon!

Room Tip: Book a Beach Front room. The view is incredible!!!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Haley M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
Malibu, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

Booked a room online and immediately realized that we had made a mistake with the date. Called within one minute to cancel, was told that no rooms were available for the date that we wanted, and that we would be charged the full room rate of $323 + tax for the canceled night, since we were canceling within less than 72 hours, even though we had made the reservations only a minute before. In total we spent over an hour trying to resolve this on the phone, and ended up disputing the charge with our card company since we got nowhere with the hotel. We travel to Laguna Beach several times per year for weekend getaways. Considering the cost of making a booking error, the inflexibility of the hotel policies, and the willingness of the hotel to impose such an onerous "gotcha" fee, we will never stay there in the future, and have already discourage our friends from doing so. Very disappointing experience.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Larry A
JDVLaguna, General Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
So sorry to hear of your frustration - we have followed up with the Online Travel Agent you booked your reservation and they have completed the refund for cancel the reservation - We would welcome an opportunity to have you come to the property and experience it for yourself.

Please dont hesitate to let me know if I can help in any other way

Bill Tremper
Springfield, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

Been staying here ever since I was a young girl some thirty years ago. Won't be using this hotel any longer though. It's simply too run down. A recent makeover occured changing the name and rates. I had been very hopeful that serious improvements would have been made to the facilty, however all that occured was a facelift...paint, new linens and some new art. The views are unbeatable. If you are simply looking for a place to sleep and be literally feet from the beach then this is your place....it simply can't be beat.....if you also want a room to feel relaxed in and that is clean and well maintained then this isn't your place. It's disappointing that a place that has been part of our lives for over thirty years is now going to be a thing of the past.

Room Tip: Physical structure is old and outdated. Bathrooms and facility are not up to standards for price.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I was so sorry to hear that you did not find our rooms appealing as you had in the past. We are constantly working to improve our facility and find many of our current guests love our facilities as well as our spectacular location and great service. We would welcome you back in the future to give us another chance - please let me know if I can help

Bill Tremper
Placerville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

We absolutely loved our stay. This property is the old Vacation Village which had location, location, location, but had become shabby and dated. Pacific Edge had been beautifully redone in a hip and relaxing classic surf motif. Get a room ON the ocean and listen to the waves all night!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

I had to go to Orange County on business and when traveling in the OC we've almost always stayed in Newport Beach. But I had some meetings further south and we'd always wanted to stay in Laguna Beach so this was a perfect time to do it.

The hotel is a short walk down the 1 to the main area of Laguna Beach. There are two great pools, a game room, and the biggest hot-tub I've ever seen.

We have a full review of the hotel up at our family travel blog FamilyTrek.org which you can check out at http://www.familytrek.org/hotel-review-pacific-edge-hotel-on-laguna-beach/

We'd stay there again, which is always the ultimate measure, right? We had an older room near the front of the property which was small with our 2 kids and wet bathing suits everywhere. But for the price it was hard to argue. They are undergoing an renovation and there are some amazing rooms right on the water that would be great for families. They are also opening a bar right beachside. Also a great restaurant which would be really nice for breakfast. I just had a drink there one night. Check it out. Can't go wrong.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ClarkVand
Eagan, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

I love Pacific Edge, there is nothing better than falling asleep with the sliding door open hearing the waves all night long. The management staff is very helpful and accomading. The hotel is walking distance to the main public beach in Laguna and there are plenty of great shops along the walk. I love the thought of trying something or somewhere new each vacation but when it's this good... why would we! Thank you Pacific Edge!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Waterbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel with family for several nights. Overall, our experience was just average. There's nothing major to complain about, but nothing to really rave about either.

We arrived around 1:30 and were told our room wasn't ready yet since check in isn't until 4 pm (even though the information book in the room says 3 pm) and that the front desk could call our cell phones when it was ready. We returned about an hour later and it was finally ready, even though we never received a phone call. (After returning home at the end of the week, we had a message on the home phone that our room was ready. Being across the country, this obviously wasn't helpful in any way.)

We had one of the village rooms facing the street. It was nicely decorated and you could tell that some renovations had recently taken place, but the room was very tiny. The bathroom was about the size of a closet and the shower required some contortions to be under the water. The size wasn't a huge deal for us, but if you prefer a larger room then this is definitely not the room for you. I can't speak for the oceanfront rooms, but I would pay the extra to stay in one of those just so you at least have a nice view. Most importantly though, the room was clean. There were some maintenance issues such as a wall socket not working properly and the tv not turning on anymore on our last day there, but all were addressed fairly quickly.

The hotel has a really unique set up with several buildings scattered throughout the property. You have to walk down a few alleys to get to the beach and valet parking, but it just takes some getting used to. The beach was awesome and the staff there were very friendly and helpful in getting towels, chairs, umbrellas, etc. The rest of the staff for the most part seemed friendly and willing to help as well. We didn't check out the game room or pools, but they always seemed to have a decent amount of people in them.

If I return to Laguna Beach, I probably would stay elsewhere just to try something different, unless Pacific Edge was the only affordable hotel in the area again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the oceanfront rooms!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family