“Noisy, shabby, shabby chic!!!”

Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Palos Verdes Estates, California
“Noisy, shabby, shabby chic!!!”
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I really wanted to like this hotel and I must say the staff was very nice, but......the rooms very very motel quality. It was more expensive than Las Brisas for so much less. My biggest problem was the morning noise. We booked last minute, so we were given the room next to housekeeping, who were loudly talking at 7 am on SUNDAY. Casa or Las Brisas are much better choices for Laguna in the $200 range!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
While I'm happy that our staff made you feel welcome, I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the rest of your stay. I understand how frustrating it must have been to be awakened by our cleaning staff in the morning. Did you request a different room? Even though your reservation was last-minute, we would have been happy to find you another room if any were available. I'm sorry about this, but I hope you'll give us another opportunity to impress you next time you're in Laguna Beach. Thank you for your feedback.

Bill Tremper, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I have stayed at the Pacific Edge Hotel probably 8 times, all while working in the OC area. I choose to stay here because the location is great, as I have travel to Newport, Costa Mesa, SJC, etc, and it is very easy to get to all of these places. I could stay in some corporate hotel in Santa Ana or Anaheim, but I stick with this Hotel for a number of reasons.

It's a great value. Even the cheapest room is 50 steps from the beach and you can generally afford them on a work budget. I work all day then spend some time on the beach in the complimentary lounge chairs, or getting some of the great food at the Beach House or the Deck. Around half the times I go, I have gotten an upgrade just for asking.

The staff is great. I have gotten to know the front desk staff well enough by now that they greet me by first name, offer me an upgrade (I got the top floor ocean view last time) and they do a stellar job. Talk to my man Steven (I think that's his name, hes a small Asian guy) and he will hook you up with any request you may have. They work hard to be accommodating here, without that Hilton/Marriott generic feel/training style.

The location is perfect. Right on the water, walk-able from Main Beach, and you literally have the ocean lapping at your balcony if you are on those rooms.

The rooms are clean, spacious and fit my needs perfectly. I have never had any complaints about cleanliness or room size or location. Everything about the rooms, from my 8 experiences, has been perfect.

If you are looking to stay at something like the Montage, well, this ain't your spot. If you are looking for a great, non-pretentious, fun, perfect, affordable, chill hotel, then this is.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. You'll want to stay in the tower across Sleepy Hollow Ln.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Jeff,

It's wonderful to hear that we've helped you make the most of your work trips. I'm proud to see how impressed you've been with our staff. Everyone really does want to make sure that you have a great stay, and I'm glad they've been able to hook you up. I'll be sure to share this with everyone — I know they'll be happy to hear from you! Thanks for the kind words. They mean so much to us. I'm sure we'll be seeing you again soon!

Take care,
Atlanta
Reviewed 1 June 2012

The location is amazing. We lived in Laguna when we first got married and its a hard location to beat.
Pros:
Super cheap.. best price was on website AAA rate
Literally on the Ocean
Comfortable beds (minus hard pillows but thats preference)
Right in the middle of downtown.. walk to everything
Friendly Staff
Friendly Valet Service
The Deck restaurant has an insanely amazing view.. happy hour is well worth it.

Cons: Itty Bitty Room about 4 feet on each side of the bed and thats it.
Bathroom could really use some remodeling..
Not the thickest of walls

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
I'm so happy that we could help you reminisce about your time as newlyweds in Laguna. It sounds like you both had a fabulous time! Of course, this is easy to accomplish with a beautiful beach view like ours.

I'm sorry that you were a bit disappointed with your room. Some of our rooms are on the smaller side, but all of the fixtures should be up-to-date. What room were you staying in? There's always room for improvement, so I'm happy to go back and take a look at what needs to be updated.

Thanks so much for your honest feedback. It's a great way to show us the areas in which we need a little work. We're proud that everyone made you feel so comfortable. Thank you again. We hope to see you next time you're in town.

Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed 27 May 2012

I would like to comment on my stay there for one night on May 13th in room 125. Yes, the property could use some updating but overall, everyone there was accommodating and gracious, rooms spacious, clean and comfortable, the ocean front view was incredible and the location is right in near the middle of town close to shops and restaurants. Also, the price was half of what other ocean front rooms were in Laguna that weekend. I loved this place and would definitely stay there again.

1 Thank suzanw62
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Glad you enjoyed your stay! There's nothing better than waking up to a beautiful view of the beach. Thanks for taking the time to review us. We're looking forward to seeing you again next time you're in town.

Berkeley, California
Reviewed 26 May 2012

The hotel was clean and manageable but not up to the standard of other JDV Hotels or worth the price. The hotel seemed to spend their money in the wrong places. The hotel welcomed us with a hand written card and bottle of wine, but this couldn't cover up for the fact that the hotel needed some serious TLC and updating. The walls are paper thin and doors and cabinets very old thin wood. The hotel was painted in cheery colors but pillows and beds were lumpy. They promoted the hotel as having a full kitchen but had no plates, dinnerware, microwave, or toaster. If you are coming here and have no where else to stay, this place will work. But looking for a great vacation spot.... I vote no.

2 Thank 484AshleyT484
I'm sorry that you were disappointed. We take pride in making each guest feel comfortable, so it's upsetting that you felt your room was not up to par.

It is unfortunate we did not inform you, but we do have kitchen kits avaliable upon request. Furthermore, your bed should not have been lumpy. I will make sure that every bed is in perfect condition.

There is always room for improvement, and your review inspires us to do better. Thanks for bringing these concerns to my attention. I hope you'll give us another opportunity to impress you next time you're in Laguna Beach.

Reviewed 25 May 2012 via mobile

Too much to mention I stayed in room 208 great location for beach access and shopping and restaurants service was impeccable nothing bad to say can't wait to go back parking is 22 bucks a night but hey it's laguna and parking is all paid parking everyone should give this hotel a try you will not be sorry

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Bigsexyandamanda
There's nothing better than relaxing on the beach! Thanks for taking the time to review us. We hope to see you again soon!

Pleasanton, California
Reviewed 22 May 2012

This hotel is in a perfect location! Front Desk was extremely friendly and accomodating with my requests. The deck had an amazing menu! The warm pita bread with a delicous hummus and olive mixture that even my boyfriend, who dispises ALL olives, couldn't keep his hands off of and the calamari was very fresh and serve with an amazing jalapeno tartar (to die for)! I'm a huge bloody mary fan on mornings when I am planning on relaxing for the day and I have sincerely not had a spicy bloody mary that was perfectly made in months! The deck's spicy bloody mary was soooo good and definitely perfectly made. Juan the bartender was ON IT and managed to bartend the entire restaurant but still engage just enough in conversation with us to let us know we were on his priority list at all times! The room itself had an incredible view of the ocean! You could look our from our ocean front room and see the ocean as far as you could possibly sea. Waking up and falling asleep to the sounds of waves crashing...can't get any better than that! Excellent service, increidble views, great food, killer bloody marys...we'll definitely be back to the Pacific Edge!

Room Tip: Room Tip: Ocean front is the way to go! and it's unbelievably affordable for what you get!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 19 October 2012
Jamie,

Sounds like an excellent getaway! I'm so glad we could help you and your boyfriend relax on the beach. Of course, a bloody mary never hurts! Thank you for the wonderful review. We hope to see you next time you're in Laguna Beach!