“Motel like, noisy, old, and unfriendly staff”

Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed 21 July 2012 via mobile

The pacific edge is old and feels like a motel. In a village room you can hear ever motorcycle, bus, and emergency vehicle that drives past. If you stay in a village room then bring ear plugs or crank up the air conditioning to drown out the noisy street otherwise you will not have a relaxing sleep. The rooms are poorly insulated so you can also hear the tv and talking from adjacent rooms. The bathroom is small and the shower, toilet, and tap have very poor pressure. Also make sure that the doors connecting adjacent rooms are locked as we had another guest come into our room through a connecting door. The receptionist told us we could check out whenver if we were not satisfied with our room. The staff members were not interested in our satisfaction. The only pluses of this hotel are its location, free beach loungers, 2 swimming pools, keurig coffee machine, fridge, and free newspaper. For $250 a night the pacific edge was poor value and unsatisfactory. This hotel gives joi de vivre a bad name. I recommend staying at a brand name hotel with high standards.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank 0tripreviewer
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

We take pride in offering a comfortable, relaxing space for our guests to enjoy their time away, so I'm surprised to hear this. However, you have left some interesting feedback, and I will definitely discuss it with the whole team. We understand that there is always room for improvement, and we will continue to make the necessary repairs to ensure that we are presenting our best selves.

995 - 1,001 of 1,430 reviews

Reviewed 17 July 2012

My family and I have been vacationing on and off at this hotel for the past 20+ years. It has changed ownership several times and our last visit was not the best, the place needed a lot of updating and up keeping but I am happy to say the new ownership has definitely done a great job at renovating this wonderful beach property.

We visited over this past Memorial Day weekend and was pleasantly surprised to see the place had been completely renovated. The once dated rooms have been nicely updated. The lobby is warm and welcoming. The pool areas have been updated as well but my favorite renovation was the rooms that used to be on the first level of the beach front, they are now nicely arranged cabanas offering a great food and beverage selection as well as a nice party atmosphere if desired. We rented cabana #1 and had great access to the beach and our cabana. The beach staff is superb, they were well mannered young men who offered paddle boarding lessons to my nephews set up chairs and umbrellas when requested, they catered to our every need. If you visited this hotel prior to their renovation it is now a must see! Great job, thank you for making our vacation spectacular!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank taveltraveltravel
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Wow! From the beach chairs to the new surf Cabanas, you truly captured what makes us unique. Thank you so much for the kind words. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 16 July 2012

I normally stay at The Inn at Laguna Beach but decided to try this because we could only stay for 1 night and I@LB has a 2 night minimum.

This hotel is in a great location but it is in horrible disrepair. The bellman told us they were trying to sell it. The pool is in terrible condition. I had an updated, new room and thought it was really sub-par for a new, updated room. JC Penney drapes (not kidding), no soap dishes in the shower and you couldn't get the shampoo, body wash or conditioner out of their little bottles without a massive fight...just weird stuff. The bar and restaurant are a local hotspot but very noisy until 10:30 at night so if you want a beachfront room and want that sound of the surf, you have to take the loud party going below you.

Lastly, I was very disappointed in the lack of information the staff had about the surrounding area. My party and I had a reservation at Sapphire for brunch...we couldn't get a reservation for dinner all weekend - booked! This is one of the most popular restaurants in Laguna Beach. I asked four people...three at the front desk and one bellman if they knew where it was and NONE had even heard of it. It turns out the restaurant is a 10 minute walk south on PCH from the hotel...very well-marked. How is it nobody would know about this place?

I am being gracious by grading this as 'average'.

Room Tip: I realize that $325 a night in July is a good deal for Laguna Beach. But I don't care when or w...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Don R
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

Don,

Thank you for giving us a try. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed. I must say that our maintenance staff is prompt in making all the necessary repairs, so I'd like to know more about this. Still, you have left some honest feedback that we will certainly take into consideration. Thank you for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We and various extended family members have stayed in this hotel many times over the years. It used to be the best-kept secret for oceanfront lodging in Laguna, although it was definitely old-school with regards to some upkeep. The new owners have upped the prices (and maintenance), but it's not for someone expecting a 5-star experience. What you will get is an eclectic selection of rooms and building locations with many different views and amenities, and still a good value for its location in Laguna. A family wedding in town recently had three different family groups staying here. The two-bedroom suite that two families stayed in faced Coast Hwy. on one side, but had an ocean view from the back--looking over the Beach House restaurant to the water. There was a kitchen and large dining and living room area which our extended family used a lot. The third floor is your best chance for a good view from this building. We've also stayed in the past in the buildings with rooms right on the beach, and loved it. They have beach chairs and umbrellas available on the beach. There is a new bar and cabanas available, although we miss the rooms that were in the space they occupy. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SB1114
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

We are indeed an eclectic spot to enjoy gorgeous beach views. I'm glad to hear that you all have come back to us time and time again. Thanks for the fantastic review. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights as part of our trip around Southern California. I thought I knew what to expect having read previous reviews of the hotel, but arriving on an overcast evening after a great stay at the Mondrian in LA, we were all overcome with culture shock. We had an oceanfront room in The Reef building, but the whole place is a dump. Rusty taps, really grim motel-like doors and corridors etc. Admittedly, we felt a lot better when the sun came out. The view of the ocean from our balcony was stunning, but this really isn't a pleasant place to stay. It felt grimey and rather sordid. We have now moved on to the Canary Hotel in Santa Barbara which makes the contrast even more stark. It's daylight robbery that the room at Pacific Edge cost more per night than either the Mondrian or the Canary. Shame that JDV haven't invested in doing a proper refurb on this hotel as the location is great. I'm just relieved that I didn't book any other JDV hotels for our trip - life is too short and our holiday too precious to get ripped off twice.

Room Tip: The Reef Tower looked better than the Reef building. Don't even think of staying here in anythin...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank LondonAnt65
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

I'm sorry that you feel this way. Like all JDV hotels, we take pride in our service and our unique, care-free attitude. Of course, there is always room for improvement, and we are constantly working to make our hotel even better. I will certainly take your comments into consideration. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I hope you'll afford us another opportunity to wow you in the future. I'm sure you wont be disappointed!

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Sincerely and sadly disappointed at this choice. After a looong journey from France we arrived in anticipation of a nice stay in Laguna Beach. Unfortunately we had to leave this Hotel immediately. The room was in terrible condition. As below, we have sent this letter to the manager in hopes that other families will not have to turn around and leave as we had to do. Hope this will help them consider providing the product and services of which they advertise. Perhaps other rooms are better, but for the price of $368.00 a night it most certainly should not be in this condition.
---------------------------------
Dear Mr. Tremper,

My name is Tiffany Schultz. We arrived yesterday from an International flight from Europe
looking forward to a pleasant stay in Laguna Beach, and the Pacific Edge Hotel.

As we arrived before 4pm (2pm) our room was not available for check in, understandable.
We were told that we would receive a call when the room was available. We never did
receive a call.

I must also mention, that when we first arrived, not one person helped open
the door and or offered assistance to my children who were brining in our four bags.
There were three employees at the front desk.

At 4pm we returned (having managed to spend two hours locally without transportation)
and were told the room was ready. Room #11 to be exact.

I am traveling with two children and four pieces of luggage. The luggage was brought
to the parking lot. Upon discovery of the elevator being inoperable, I went to check the exact location,
(How were we to manage getting our luggage up the steep stairs?) and to check the room.

I can not tell you how absolutely disappointing the condition of the room was. The door handle to the
room was filthy. The room smelled of urine and everything was terribly worn down. Furnishings, curtains, paint, flooring etc.
The bathroom was poorly lit and with the windows left open extremely noisy. The location of this room backs the main road (PCH)
with the alley (valet service) in between. How can a guest expect any privacy on the balcony or a restful sleep?

With all due respect, we have traveled to over 20 countries, staying at many types of hotels and
have never experienced such disappointment.

What you are advertising does not represent a Joie de Vivre Hotel and especially at a price of $368.00 per night.
One thing is correct as stated on your website, "you can't be the location", but honestly that is not all customers are
looking for.

Needless to say, after viewing the room, there was no way I would allow my family to stay in such conditions.
I immediately canceled the reservation and left the premises.

We had considered the Ritz Carlton and even the St.Regis, but thought to give this Hotel a chance for a more
casual California experience. While we understand casual "unhygienic" is not what we expected.

It is with great regret that we made the choice of the Pacific Edge Hotel as we wasted the majority of our first day in
California in anticipation for the service of your Hotel that in the end did not deliver. Not to mention we were
extremely tired and worn out from a very long journey.

As it is a holiday weekend, the hotels along the coast are all booked. We are lucky to have family in the area,
and were able to take the extra expensive of a taxi to their location otherwise we would be in a very difficult position.

It is with great hope that these comments will be taken into consideration so that other families will not
have to be placed into the position we are in now and to experience such disappointment.

Tiffany Schultz

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank EuropeGal S
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Once again, let me take the time to apologize for this experience. JDV holds a very high standard for each of their hotels, and I'm sorry if your room fell short. I know that we are better than this, and I want to make this right. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you'd like to discuss this further.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here June 24-26 in an ocean-view room overlooking the beautiful Laguna Beach, and we can't wait to go back!

PROS:
1) Location, location, location! The hotel is RIGHT on the beach and if you're in an ocean view room like we were, you can literally hear the waves from your room. You're also within walking distance of restaurants & bars, the grocery store, shops and art galleries so you can park and relax.
2) Cool amenities such as daily activities they do on and off the beach, free umbrellas/towels/chairs for use on the beach, on-site rentals for paddle boards and other “toys”
3) On-site restaurant (The Beach House) and bar (The Deck)
4) FREE in-room wi-fi (despite what the last user posted) that also worked at their beach and restaurants. The Business Center is also free for the first 15 min., which gives you plenty time to check email and/or print off boarding passes. Why would you WANT to spend more time on the computer when you're on vacation at the beach???
5) Bright, beachy colors in the room paired with surfer posters and surf board. (We were in an "Endless Summer" room).
6) Two pools on-site along with a nice, large hot tub and on-site game room and small arcade (for those with kids or those somehow manage to get bored at the beach and probably should have stayed home anyway.)
7) Free perks if you're a Joie de Vivre rewards member. We had a choice in bottled waters or wine; we wisely chose the wine and it was very good.
8) Apartment-sized fridge and wet bar in rooms (and microwaves on request)
9) Roomy balconies with bright yellow Adirondack chairs and a small table, so you can take your wine or whatever and enjoy the sunset and sound of the waves crashing.
10) Accommodating and friendly employees

CONS:

1) The pool/hot tub (and game room) area was always littered with kids, making it unappealing for us as a couple and sans kids (this trip). It would be awesome if they could have a kids/pee-free Adults-Only hour from 8-9am and 10-11pm so that adults can enjoy the pool and hot tub as well.
2) Upon check-in around 8pm, we were told that The Beach House was open until 10pm. This time was also printed in all of their collateral in the room. After an evening stroll on the beach, we headed over at 9:26pm. The young, pre-occupied hostess told us they were closed. When we pushed back, she left and came back w/a waitress who re-enforce that they were closed, even though they clearly still had guests dining. We pushed back again, restating that the front desk and all of the literature said they were opened until 10pm. They then off-loaded us to The Deck who sent us back to The Beach House, because they had already closed up. We asked several times for a manger, but none was available. The original waitress at The Beach House was determined to get us out of there and never tried to accommodate. Finally, another waitress, Alexandria, stepped up to the plate and took charge by getting us a table and getting us fed. We requested she be our waitress and she was fantastic! (We tipped her quite well, too, so to the waitress who was so eager to go home, “Big mistake. Big. Huge!”) Kudos to Alex and to Luciano, the bus boy who was incredibly attentive and personable.
3) When we checked out, I reiterated the above to the front desk person, adding that after all the hassle, the food was mediocre, but got nothing but a “sorry,” which was disappointing. Given how much we spent for the food, I expected a little more than an apology. We ate there for breakfast one morning, too, which was better.
4) The rooms are clean and decent, but they could refresh the paint. I’d suggest a semi-gloss so they can clean it better.

Overall, we had a wonderful time and have already referred some friends and other travelers we encountered in Catalina after we left Laguna. We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a room that faces the beach/ocean. It will be worth it! Also, be sure to sign...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Traveling_Melissa
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Melissa,

There's nothing better than hearing the waves from your room! Thanks for staying with us. It sounds like you all had a lovely time. I'm sorry to hear about your time at The Beach House. However, our management is unaffiliated with those restaurants. Still, I'll be sure to pass your comments on to their team. You left some fantastic tips for fellow travelers. Thank you! We hope to see you again next time you need to get away.