“Pacific Edge is great!”

Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I have stayed here several times -- most recently a few nights ago. The views are stunning. The rooms are spotless. The service is so friendly and responsive. I love this hotel. I also love that I can bring my dog! It's not 5 star, but it's clean and comfy and the ocean is outside your door. The variable is who your neighbors are and how crowded it is. Mid-week in the winter, this place cannot be beat. I go there to get some work done in peace and quiet, to be on the ocean (the only way to be closer to the water would be to be on a boat!), and to restore my soul. There is nothing like watching the sunset from the balcony and falling asleep to the sound of the surf. My first time there I watched a pod of dolphins from my balcony and I was hooked. My experience in the summer has been that it draws BOTH the OC party crowd (this is not a quiet, understated bunch) and lots of families, so it's a totally different deal. If you like peace and quiet and the best views around go to the Pacific Edge in the winter. If you don't mind a louder, more rowdy crowd, you'll be happy here in the summer too. Either way get an oceanfront room! And pick up coffee and muffins next door at the Orange Inn, a lovely little cafe.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2012

There's something beautiful about being near the ocean in the wintertime—the sea has a very different character during this time of year. We're glad that you've taken advantage of this lovely season, and that you were able to witness our dolphin pod from your balcony! Thank you for the fantastic review, and for making us a part of your special vacation memories. We'd love to welcome you back soon!

Bill Tremper, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,452)

Reviewed 9 December 2012

I just returned from a three-night ocean-front stay at this hotel/motel. I've read a couple of tough reviews about this hotel which didn't square with my experience. The young, front-desk staff was always courteous and eager to help (regardless of shift) and the housekeeping was generally good (although management could have been more generous about the size of the bath soap and the housekeeper more attentive to the replacement of shampoo). Like at any hotel, I sought the less expensive, nearby restaurant alternative for small meals (the front-desk helpfully pointed me to the Orange Inn, a half block away), and the beach bar had a good selection of fairly priced, good-quality wines. I'd go again. stuho

Room Tip: Room 208 facing the ocean was more than adequate. This is a three-star hotel that tries to conduct...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Stuart H
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2012

We'd love to welcome you back again, Stuart! Thank you for taking the time to review us — it's very gratifying to hear that you were pleased with your stay. You can't beat our views, so we'd love to have you back during the summer months!

Best,

Reviewed 9 December 2012

We love Laguna Beach and this hotel is a favorite. It is a moderately-priced, stylishly decorated, remodel of a "vintage" property. The layout is confusing, a labyrinth of connected walkways, but to us that's a minor inconvenience when compared to the quality of service and freshness of the rooms. Very cheerful and modern, many rooms with amazing oceanfront rooms and easy walking distance to the beaches and heart of Laguna Beach Village. Not deluxe luxury, but very pleasing and relatively budget-friendly. Nice meals at the Beach House next door along with light meals and appetizers in the ocean-front patio. Cannot say enough about the attentive service. Valet parking is available and highly recommended. A great romantic get-away at an affordable price.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 3SBTraveler
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

Yes, our layout can be a bit of a maze, but we're glad to see that you've grown to love it as much as we do. Thank you for making us your Laguna Beach headquarters—it's so rewarding to hear such kind words from a guest like you! We look forward to welcoming you back next time you're searching for a romantic getaway. :)

Regards,

Reviewed 6 December 2012

My husband and I came here one night as part of our California honeymoon and this was definitely the best hotel we stayed in along the way. We upgraded to an ocean view room and it was probably the best decision we made during our entire trip! It was absolutely gorgeous sitting on the balcony overlooking the main beach and the ocean. We could easily access the beach and go for nice long walks, we were just a few minute walk from the central part of Laguna Beach, the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful and our sleep was amazing listening to the waves crashing all night long. The hotel was definitely a little bit old but the bed was extremely comfortable and the place was clean. We are from Cananda but we WILL be back!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the ocean view room. We almost didn't spend the extra money but it is worth every pen...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shay0314

It was our pleasure to help you make the most of your honeymoon! We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed our beautiful ocean views, and that our staff was so helpful. Thank you for allowing us to share in such a happy occasion. We would love to welcome you back to celebrate your first anniversary! Until then, thank you for fabulous the review. Congratulations!

Reviewed 5 December 2012

We organized a kind of small vacation with my friends from overseas and booked a couple of rooms with ocean front view. It was really great - staff was very helpful and arranged rooms on the same floor close to each other. We were sitting on the balcony, enjoying the view, talking and relaxing. Room service is fast and good. Two things that are bad - furniture in rooms is rather old and broken, I had to call a maintenance man to fix the balcony door - it did not open. They close the pool at 10PM - and we could not get to jacuzzi...

Room Tip: ocean front of course
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

You certainly can't beat our view! It was a pleasure to be a part of you and your friends' special memories. Thank you for taking the time to sing our praises on TripAdvisor. We would love to welcome you back next time you're looking to get away!

Reviewed 30 November 2012

Although the price was a bit steep (350.00), it was worth if for the view alone. We were on the top floor facing the ocean with a balcony. Our room was actually very private because it extended out from the building more than any of the other rooms - we would have to look back towards the building to see other rooms with their balconies (if this makes sense). The decor is sparse; this is not a luxury hotel, but watching the sun set over the water was truly stunning. There is an ocean view restaurant on the premises, too, making it convenient for having breakfast. It's great just to walk down a couple of flights of stairs and be right on the beach!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a high floor with a direct view of the ocean; otherwise, I don't think this ho...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

We feel so fortunate to be able to see the sun set over the water every evening. We're happy that you could witness this stunning sight as well! Thanks for making us a part of your Laguna Beach get away, Marie. We hope to welcome you back next time you're looking for some time away!

Reviewed 16 November 2012

I was in Laguna Beach for the day and booked a room at the Pacific Edge on a whim using the HotelTonight app. Pros: Great deal, central location, pleasant daytime staff, lobby decorated/maintained well, clean linens. Cons: Run-down room, threadbare towels, broken toilet paper holder, musty smell in room that lasted thoughout the entire stay. Upon return to the room at the end of my night out the key did not work, so I went to the the front desk for assistance. The night clerk said I was never checked in (which has to be incorrect since I had already been able to access the room and drop off my stuff), demanded my credit card (even though I had paid for the room in full through the app and already provided my card for incidentals upon check in), and took about 20 minutes to get me new keys (when I originally checked in, the whole process took about 3 minutes). When I finally got into my room, it was evident someone had been inside and items were shuffled around. It was unnerving, but we were tired and since ntohing was missing, we decided to deal with it in the morning. The staff on duty at check out were very nice and ensured that no additional charges were on my card. Walking out, we caught a peek of other rooms which appeared to be much nicer than the room we had for the night, but I guess you get what you pay for. All said and done, I would stay there again, but not for a penny more than deal I got using the app.

Room Tip: Ask for beachfront rooms or renovated rooms. Stay away from the rooms facing the street, they seem t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank cee_in_LA
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2012

It was truly disheartening to learn of this incident. We should have been more gracious when you had trouble with your key, and I apologize. I will discuss this with our staff immediately. Thank you for taking the time to share your story. Your candid feedback will be of great aid as we continue to improve for our guests.

Best,