“Only get a beachfront room...”

Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
“Only get a beachfront room...”
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

The staff is young and energetic.On our way to our beachfront room I was excited that I didnt book one of the old motel looking rooms away from the beach. It was a little bit more money to stay on the beach BUT definitely worth it. We noticed we were not the only couples there.. I guess its the destination for middle aged unhappy couples that like to sit on the balcony and do nothing but stare at the waves. The room was smal but practical, nothing luxurious. Bright yellow with outdated shower curtain. The huge king size bed is a plus. Free coffee but $4 water bottles. Free lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach. Great size pool and jacuzzi, but NO where to layout.
Overall great experience. I went off season in Sept, so the price was right!!!. Going Sunday -monday was a good idea because it can get busy on the weekend there.

• Stayed September 2013
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
With a beach as beautiful as ours, you're sure to have a fabulous time no matter when you visit! I'm thrilled that you were able to take advantage of our off season pricing, and that you left such detailed feedback about your stay. We'll certainly keep it in mind as we move forward, but in the meantime, I hope you'll come back and see us next time you need to get away!

Bill Tremper, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
Encinitas, California
Reviewed 20 September 2013

My husband and I enjoy staying at JVD hotels. Our particular favorite is Shorebreak Hotel, Huntington Beach.
The staff at Pacific Edge were attentive and helpful. The lobby area was attractive. Those are probably the only pros I would have for this property
Pacific Edge we found to be misleading based on the photos from expedia. After we got to our room, we immediately called the front desk to ask if we could upgrade to one of the rooms that were right next to the water, but they were unfortunately booked.
The location and beach access, as another reviewer was not ideal. The rooms were extremely outdated and comparable to what I would expect of a motel. No matter how well the housekeepers do their job, they can't make a dated room look clean. To make matters worse, the rooms have paper thin walls and a flimsy sliding door that separated our room from the next. We could hear everything going on in the other room as if they were talking in our own. For a relaxing getaway, we didn't leave feeling relaxed.
We love JVD hotels, but will not stay at Pacific Edge again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sam0790
I'm sorry to learn of your disappointment, Sam, especially since you've had some fabulous getaways at other Joie de Vivre hotels. While we do agree that parts of our hotel are in need of updates, we are also confident that we can only get better through our guests' feedback. As such, we really appreciate your candor, and we hope to have another chance to properly demonstrate our passion for this property in the near future.

Best,
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We had a great time at Pacific Edge! The staff was amazing. They toke great care of us and went above and beyond what was expected. Everything was perfect. The views, the room, dining, all was great. Looking forward to staying again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terrance D
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
It was a pleasure to welcome you to Laguna Beach, Terrance! Thanks for taking the time to sing our praises. Come back and see us again soon—this view is gorgeous all year long!

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Pros: Decent price (booked through Priceline), nice decor, friendly staff.
Cons: A bit outdated furniture, bathroom is tiny, having to walk a bit of a way to the beach unless you get the ocean view room, didn't expect this since i have to carry my kids. Also, it was a bit noisy when we were there, can almost hear anything going on around us...

Overall, a decent place to stay if you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for beachfront hotels.

Room Tip: If you have money, go for the ocean view rooms. A lot quieter and nicer.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Lannie18
I apologize if we were a bit unclear about the location of your room, Lannie. Carrying your little ones can definitely make beach trips more difficult, and we'll certainly keep that in mind for our future guests. That said, I'm glad you found us at a great deal, and that our team made you feel at home. We have several renovations coming up, and I know you'll be thrilled with the results. Hope you'll consider giving us another try next time you need to get away!

Take care,
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We have stayed in Laguna beach for three days, unfortunately it's not long enough. I don't think I have had a more relaxed stay in a hotel in my life. The location is fantastic, only a short walk from restaurants, shops and cafes. The views are to die for if you book a sea view room. The staff are very friendly, and the room we had was nicely decorated and had a large flat screen TV. My wife and I are planning to visit here for longer. So don't be put off by the bad reviews. Mr and Mrs Wilson.

1 Thank Paul W
We couldn't be happier to read your kind words, Paul! On behalf of our entire team, thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your story with fellow travelers. Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Bermuda Dunes, California
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I could not recommend this place we paid for a two bedroom suite. The carpet was dirty, the place was worse than a low grade hotel with high prices. Buyer Beware . The adjoining restaurant was great view. the bathroom had hair on the floor and mildew. A/C did not work properly and it smelled.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank CharWhit
This is very disappointing. We take pride in offering our guests a luxurious getaway, but it's apparent that we fell short. I must apologize, and I'd like to make this right. Please reach out us at bookpacificedge(at)jdvhotels(dot)com if you'd like to discuss this further.

Regards,
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The perfect example of a bait and switch. The hotel's website, Expedia, hotels.com, and others are all showing the same picture for the rooms. When you get to the hotel, you will be in for the switch. We booked a room with two full beds and upgraded to the ocean view. When we arrived, the room wasn't ready so they told us to wait on the beach and they would call. 2.5 hours later, still no call and so I decided to call (They told me the room was vacated when they told me 2.5 hours ago). They told me the room is still not cleaned and the housekeeper is on lunch. I am now irritated by this. When we finally got our room, the best part of this place was the view. It's right on the ocean. That's the only great thing about the place, the location and view. The door to the room isn't locking properly (as 2 girls staying in the room) that's not good! We seriously placed a chair on the door handle to prevent it from being opened at night while we're sleeping. The bathroom is really cramped. The staff isn't very helpful either. They had no answers to any of my questions. The only helpful staff were the valet guys. I left an item in the room as we were checking out and remembered as the room closed with the key in the room. I asked a hskp to open the door so I can get it and she wouldn't. I had to go all the way back up to the lobby to get an extra key. I asked for a late checkout and the front desk said she'll give me 20 more minutes. Is that a joke? Being used to getting actual service in hotels that I stay, this was very disappointing. I guess this place isn't really a real hotel.

4 Thank amontrip
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
I wish that we had been able to offer you a more relaxing vacation, but after reviewing your comments, it is clear that we fell short in terms of service. The attitudes you received and untimely, disorganized service are simply unacceptable, and I know that we're better than this. I want to make this right for you, so please don't hesitate to email us at bookpacificedge(at)jdvhotels(dot)com if you want to talk. Until then, please accept my sincere apologies.

Regards,