“Nice hotel on the beach”

Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This hotel was a nice surprise for the rate. Considering its location (right on the beach and within walking distance of shops, restaurants, and other activities), colorful and clean rooms, a nice lobby, and a good restaurant and deck overlooking the ocean, the rates are very good. I had a small room without an ocean view, but it was basic, clean, and equipped with requested microwave and refrigerator. I would have liked a chair in the room to check emails on my laptop or even just to sit somewhere other than on the bed. The walls between rooms are paper thin and I heard more than I wanted to hear from my neighbors. Otherwise, this is a very nice hotel at surprisingly affordable rates.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

A wonderful view and a great rate—that's what we're all about! Thanks for staying with us, and for sharing your feedback regarding our walls. It's definitely something we're looking in to for our future guests! In the meantime, we hope to welcome you back again next time you need a little sun, Belle-Lettrist. After all, you can't beat this view!

Thanks again,

There are newer reviews for Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I was in Laguna for an annual event with friends and the hotel that everyone else was at was full, so I looked nearby. I was amazed to find Pacific Edge right there and at a pretty reasonable price. If you travel much and look for "value" hotels, you've likely run across at least one that appears to be either on older motel or apartment building converted into a hotel. The part of Pacific Edge that I stayed in was that kind of building. There are several distinct buildings, and I did not look at the others, so this review is only for the building immediately facing Pacific Coast Hwy.
The linens were very nice (this seems to be a common denominator with this type of hotel). The room and bathroom were clean. The staff was unfailingly nice and helpful.
The downside is that when these buildings are converted, they almost never replace the windows or HVAC systems, at least in my experience. A lot of road noise came through the windows because they are not well sealed - it's not worth the cost in this area. The HVAC had no heat, and when I asked I was told that all the heaters were taken (who needs heating in southern California? Me when it's in the dead of Winter and it's pretty cold outside). The TV didn't work, but that was not a big deal for me, as I was just looking for the weather report, but if you watch much TV when traveling, it might be a problem if the problem wasn't fixed. The door to the bathroom was a but banged up around the edges - just normal wear, and it was clean - showing the age of the building.
If I stayed here again, I would likely pay a little more for one of the rooms in another building farther away from the street.
Also, note that the only parking is valet. There is, however, a loading area at the office where you can pick up or drop off.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get a room away from the street, if available.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank skaterdude

Thanks for your feedback. Although I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, I'm sorry that you were a bit chilly during your visit. We should have had a heating unit available for you, and I'll speak to our team about this right away. That aside, you left some great suggestions for us, and we'll keep them in mind as we continue our renovations. Thank you, and we hope you'll keep us in mind next time you need to get away.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

The hotel is on a beautiful area of Laguna beach. Our room was not all that large and appeared somewhat old and run down but the price was reasonable for the location, overall location great but hotel was not.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank How29
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Sorry you were disappointed with your room. We're currently in the midst of making the necessary upgrades for our guests, but we wish we had been able to show you a better time. Still, we're glad that you loved being so close to the beach, and we hope to have you back next time you need a little sun. We know we have what it takes to show you a fabulous vacation!

Reviewed 1 January 2014

There are several buildings, some on the beach and some behind the beach front ones. We booked a room here based on its location. We had got a room in the back building and decided to go for the deluxe rather than the basic room. The deluxe featured a kitchenette, which was great because we like to eat breakfast in. The windows faced the back of the ocean front buildings, but you could glimpse the ocean between the buildings. The room on the other side of the building faced PCH and must have been very noisey all night.

Downside:
Kitchenette had seen better days, rust at the bottom of the fridge, worn cabinet finishes. You have to ask for dishes and utensils. All had seen better days.
One wall AC/heater with fan. This was the only ventilation source. Had to leave it on all day, otherwise the room got very stuffy.
Wifi never worked.
Bed side lamps switches where broken. Had to twist the bulbs to turn on and off.
Furniture was well worn and scuffed.
Window latches were broken, we were provided a wooden stick to secure the windows closed.
No elevator in our building. Awkward stair steps connecting the buildings. Watch your footing!!
Parking is an extra $24 per day.

Upside:
Location!! Access to the beach with chairs and sun umbrellas provided, 2 pools and 1 hot tub.
Near the center of town and all its activities.
10% off on local stores, restaurants and business.
Polite customer service. Great coffee at main enterance.
Parking in the residental area can be found in about 2 blocks.
Cleaning staff is excellent!!
Very quite even with the large number of families with young children.

In summary, we would stay here again for it's location on the beach side of PCH and proxcimity to the center of town. Some of the other buildings in this hotel complex seem to have been recently rennovated and the furnishings seem newer. But you have to have stayed here before to know which building is renovated and which one has not.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the beach front.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PeacenikAlameda
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Although it is clear that we were unable to offer you a five-star visit, it's very encouraging to see that you enjoyed your trip. I'm thrilled that you look forward to visiting us again, and I can assure you that you'll be very impressed once all of our renovations are complete. Until then, thanks for your honest feedback, and please let us know if you have any further suggestions—we're all ears!

Reviewed 20 December 2013

We visited this hotel for several days in nov 2012, our family's first trip to disney and legoland. We booked on expedia, wanting a mid point between our two destinations. Upon arrival I was uneasy, as motels with the outside doors freak me out. Upon check in, we were greeted with the absolute best staff we have ever encountered! It is amazing, considering customer service in our country is declining rapidly. They truly appear to love their jobs, and we will return to this hotel next time we go to the area. Our children received a cute little bucket of sand toys, dinner on site with views and the serene sounds of ocean waves was awesome. The blankets they provided as the evening chilled in the semi outdoor restaurant were a thoughtful touch. The rooms aren't glitzy and are dated, but were very clean, and I felt like I was staying in an extremely laid back beach condo. Never again will I make assumptions just because of the exterior room access. We felt completely safe the entire trip, and I highly recommend any employer in the hospitality business send their staff to train with these amazing people. Heck, all of us can take a lesson from the level of respectful, kind, and accommodating service of the staff at this location. I am now wondering if we would experience the same at all join de fiver hotels? Kudos to you all, spread the love to the rest of the planet please!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank April M
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Wow, April! We couldn't have asked for kinder words, especially regarding our staff. I'm thrilled that they made you and your family feel so welcome, and they're going to be even happier to know that, too. Thanks so much for the kind words, and for making us a part of your vacation. We'd love to welcome you back whenever you need a little R & R!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 10 December 2013

My amazing expierence started with the excellent Customer service at check in provided by Javid Bholat. He made sure that every question was answered, that our accommodations was what we wanted but more importantly he followed up to insure that we where happy. I was sometimes confused as to whom the staff were. Not only were the guest friendly the hotel staff was also accommodating. For example I was carryig more than a few bags and a staff asked if he could assist I polietly stated that I was ok less than a minute later a guest offered to assist as well. I accidently stumbled on this hotel. My getaway was always San Diego. Not anymore this is my Hidden paradise. I enjoyed the Hotel and its location but more importantly the Staff. Javid set the tone for an amazing stay. I was almost hesitant to write this only because I never want the Hotel to not be available.. I strongly suggest that you experience this Hotel for yourself. Also ask for Javid (Im not sure if he is the face of the Hotel but he should be) Enjoy

Room Tip: Ocean Front Higher Floor
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank victor b
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

We're so glad you found us, Victor! You're right about our team—they're always happy to help, but it's good to see that our guests were just as friendly. We're lucky to have them! Thanks for the wonderful review, and please keep us in mind next time you need a little sun. I know Javid and the rest of our crew would love to have you back!

Cheers,

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Like others have pointed out, the rooms are a little dated and possibly in need of modernisation, however, they are perfectly clean and comfortable. Yes, the air conditioning unit is old fashioned, noisy, and struggles to keep the room cool

Anywhere else, the points mentioned above could have affected the quality of your stay, but we specifically chose an ocean front room which meant that we could stand or sit out on our balcony looking at the beach and the ocean. Even better at night time we could sleep with the patio door open, just listening to the sound of the waves breaking on the beach below - perfect!

On one of the mornings we were enjoying our cup of coffee on the balcony when 3 dolphins cruised past probably not more than 50 yards from shore

Valet parking is standard as set out on the hotel's website, but even though the hotel was full, we never had any issues or delays in getting our car

Laguna Beach is a lovely little town with a number of great bars and restaurants and very friendly people

We stopped at Ralphs for some supplies, and although we didn't have the discount card, they did give us "an old world discount" - a very nice touch which we certainly wouldn't see in Tesco or other supermarkets in the UK

We would definitely return

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tangerines
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

I'm so glad you were able to see the dolphins! They're really a sight to behold, especially from the comfort of the balcony. Thanks for making us a part of your trip to Laguna Beach, and for the kind words. We'd love to welcome you back next time you need a little sunshine!

All the best,