“Great location, small room”

Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Great location, small room”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed at Pacific Edge as part of a block of rooms with a wedding. The location is great - right on the water! Loved hearing the sound of waves crashing, so peaceful! I didn't get a chance to try any food at the hotel, but it is within walking distance of all the hustle and bustle, plenty of restaurants to go too around the area. Room itself was very small considering the rate was close to $250/night. It was also supposed to be a renovated room, but didn't really feel like it. Bathtub very out of date, carpet seemed a little worn, and the A/C unit was so loud - made it difficult to sleep through the night without waking up. I think the room could benefit from having a chair as well, there was nowhere else to sit in the room other than on the bed. I was also a little disturbed to find that the mattress didn't have a protector on it.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CurlyQ87
Sean C, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
I'm sorry you were disappointed with your room. We are continuously updating our rooms, and we will certainly remember your words as we continue our work. That aside, I appreciate your candor, and I hope you had a fabulous time at the wedding. We hope to have another chance to make you feel at home soon.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Me and my brothers stayed at the hotel for 7 night. The restaurant are very good and the beds are amazing!!! You can not beat the ocean view. You are 5 minute walk to down town laguna. The front desk helps you find some great restaurants and things to do.

Room Tip: I stayed in the beach front room. They are amazing!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dillonfrazier
That's a lot of pluses! :) Thanks for making us a part of your getaway. We'd love to have you back soon!

Cheers,
Corona, California
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My wife and I made a last minute decision to stay the weekend in Laguna -- "last minute" as in July THIRD -- not smart.

I scoured the Internet and found little available and what I did find available was either over-priced for its distance from the water or started around $1200 a night (not what we wanted to spend for a last minute stay).

We made some calls and eventually found The Pacific Edge Hotel. I've been hanging around Laguna for most of my life and grew up surfing there, but couldn't think of where this place was for the life of me, but it was too good to beat for the price ($264 a night after a "Joy of Life" discount) so we took the chance.

CUT TO REVIEW:

This place was perfect. We've never cared for the Montage/Ritz Carlton experience and if that's what you are looking for, this place isn't it.

What this place IS is warm, welcoming, laid back Laguna Beach RIGHT on the water with great views and an awesome atmosphere. We were disappointed we weren't getting an ocean view room, but what do you expect the day before 4th of July weekend. As it turned out, our room actually DID have a little ocean view between two buildings. Guess we just got lucky.

The Staff was phenomenal and we ate at The Deck for our first night. The Deck is attached to the hotel and hovers right over the sand overlooking the Pacific. They played great, upbeat music that was perfect for people like us that just wanted to have a good time. Our server ("Matt) was phenomenal and even made an effort to get us a table right up against the glass so we had the best seat in the house for the fireworks.

The room was great and had a little kitchenette in it.

The morning of our departure we ate at Driftwood Kitchen (the old Beach House). AGAIN, got the best seat in the house and the food ended up being excellent despite an initial screw up on my Laguna Beach Omelet. My wife got the burger it, to be totally honest, it was one of the best burgers we've ever had.

Check-out was easy and the Front Desk manager ("Brian") who had been great to us the whole time offered to give us a tour of the property when we mentioned our desire to come back.

If you want the Laguna Beach experience and you're on a budget, STAY HERE.

If you want the Laguna Beach experience and you're NOT on a budget, STAY HERE.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chris T
Wow, Chris! I'm absolutely thrilled to hear how much you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for taking the time to sing our praises -- that means the world to us. We can't wait to have you back again!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I will say, sometimes the view is all you need for people to come visit. This little gem has depth! Just because the view was unbeatable you think I shouldn't expect too much in the way of service, after all this isn't the Montage. We were so surprised to see this little Boutique Hotel was better than the Montage. The service was outstanding from the Valet to the Beach attendants. At no time did we feel we're staying in anything but a first class Hotel. The restaurants are amazing, we saw the bungalows while we were there because Rebbecca took the time to show us around, everyone seemed to be focused on our visit. We had an amazing time and will be back. Thanks for making us feel welcome. We are back in Seattle now and can't stop talking about our amazing visit!

Room Tip: Ask for a partial ocean view to save money but still get the beach experience!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pete L
Sean C, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
We want all of our guests to feel like they're staying at a five star resort, so I'm thrilled that you were so happy with your visit, Pete! Thanks for singing our team's praises, and please keep us in mind next time you need to get away. After all, you can't beat this view! :)

Regards,
san jose
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I honestly don't know how anyone could ever rate this hotel anything but fabulous. After a stressful work week, I checked in on Friday and spent a glorious weekend in one of the updated, beachfront rooms. My room was ready at 2pm so they allowed me to check in early. Friends (from LA) joined me on Saturday and were amazed how close we were to the beach. There really was no problem with thin walls either, as I didn't hear a peep out of the adjoining rooms. Besides, the waves crashing outside were so loud, it would have drowned out any noise coming from the other rooms, which was just fine by me. As others have said, the hotel is very close to the grocery store and fine dining. We ate at "The Deck" and really enjoyed the atmosphere. I would love to go back when I save up some money. The room was pricey, but worth every penny!

Room Tip: Definitely spend the extra money for the oceanfront room. The other rooms just don't have the s...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank luckytravels66
Sean C, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Paradise, indeed! We're so glad that you and your friends had such a great time with us, and we'd love to welcome you back for many more. Until next time, thanks for the wonderful review. It made our day!

Regards,
Canyon Lake, California
Reviewed 2 July 2014

great views of the ocean and you are 'on it', great food (make a reservation a must) drinks, great servers, great employees that are so very caring. a perfectly funky and beachy place. I would stay again for sure, great for business, couple, family, friends or solo!

Room Tip: ask for the best view they can give you
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sounds like a lovely getaway! We can't wait to have you back again!

Warm regards,
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The whole trip started when i called to make a reservation with the hotel. Bryan at the front desk was extremely helpfully and really set my family up to have a great little vacation. Bryan met all my family's needs from an ocean view to having a pack in play all set up in the room for my 2 year old daughter when we got in the room. When we got to the hotel James checked us in and descried all of the amenities that the hotel has to offer which really helped us plan our evening. We really enjoyed how Jordan helped us get some beach chairs and towels when we made our way down to the water. Overall i cant what to go back and stay at the Pacific Edge again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Thomas N
Sean C, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
It was a pleasure to make you feel at home, Thomas! Bryan, Jordan and James will be thrilled to hear how much you and your family enjoyed your stay, and we hope to welcome you back for years to come. Until next time, thanks for the fabulous review!