“Nice views if you pay Top Dollar!”

Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
“Nice views if you pay Top Dollar!”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for a weekend here after searching for a true ocean front property. Wet did get our wish, sliding doors open, wonderful sound of the ocean. Otherwise, a very strange hotel layout (really an old motel fixed up). Room was quaint, but small. Loud AC old fashioned wall units. Luckily is was cool in the evenings..1st room they assigned us was right next to the outdoor shower and 3 stairwells, including the one that comes up from the beach. A big NO thanks on that one. They did move us, with lots of begging.. Lots of rust and weathering on the railings and a little run down. Great overall concept for the place, but for $500+ per night, we would have rather stayed up the hill at the Ritz for the same price..

• Stayed August 2014
Sean C, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
I'm sorry if you felt you had to fight for a different room. That shouldn't have been the case, so I'm going to look into this right away. Despite that, it sounds like you enjoyed most of your stay, and I hope you'll give us a chance to show you an even better time once our renovations are complete. I know you'll love it!

Thanks,
Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
Decorah, Iowa
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I've never taken the time to write a review but feel compelled to do so this time. Started with NO offers of help getting bags to our room. Then came the room shock. My "room with a view" is about a 200 sq foot hole in the wall facing an alleyway and the back of the building that does have a view. There is a huge gap between the door and the doorframe where anything could come crawling in; not to mention the noise level. I found the rooms to be stinky and downright gross. The restaurant is NOT kid friendly and is uber expensive. What you see online is NOT what you get and I should have took that advice. Big mistake coming here and not how I wish I was ending my CA vaca....not looking forward to another night.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank zebratamer
While some of our rooms are in the midst of receiving the necessary upgrades, we have never found them to be in the condition you've described. Which room did you stay in? We want to know more about this so we can make this right, so don't hesitate to reach out if you want to discuss this further. We know we can do better than this.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Reserved beach front room to hear waves but all I heard in evening time is the back of the fan from the room next to me which sat right on my balcony.
Room was not clean when I got there and a comb that did not belong to me sat under my bathroom sink my entire stay. My maid NEVER stepped on the balcony or wiped any glass windows. The maids there when it was Vacation Village did it ALL! The manager one night told me its the same maids. If that's the case, my maid that showed up Monday morning must have started to work when she was 15 years old.
For the price of that room I expected much more. I have 4 children and am a part time teacher aid so I only get to take one trip a year. This was it. The families I travel with every year stayed in the cheaper rooms to save money, but like I said, this was it for MY family. I have been staying at this hotel for over 20 years. I feel like my kids grew up here so I find comfort in the location of this hotel but I liked it better when it was Vacation Village.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rita H
It's so disappointing that you left feeling this way, Rita, especially since you have such fond memories of visiting with your family. However, it's clear that we've fallen short -- your room should have been in much better condition, and it's upsetting that our housekeeping staff didn't do more to impress you. This isn't OK with us, and we hope we can make it right. Please don't hesitate to email us at bookpacificedge(at)jdvhotels(dot)com so we can do just that.

Tarzana, CA
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We've gone to Laguna every summer for over 20 years. This time we thought we'd try Pacific Edge cause Joie de Vivre has a good reputation. Well they need to do more to improve this place, which used to be Vacation Village! Despite what is shown on their website the room we got was literally 200 sq feet looking at the side of the building next door. The closet had a curtain. The tiny closet sized bathroom tile grout was staring to break up, even though this was one of the renovated rooms. After complaining, which we heard other guests also doing, they offered us some ice. After complaining again, we were moved to another room on day 2 of 3. One of the un-renovated rooms, it was nicer with a larger bathroom and a partial view of the ocean, but thin walls.
On the good side, the beach was nice. The restaurant Driftwood was very good. And the Valet guys were very helpful with the car ($24/day and moving our luggage).
I will not return to this property.

Room Tip: Be prepared to complain and check the room before you accept it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JDHTarzana_CA
Sean C, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
While we are currently in the midst of making the necessary updates, it appears that we still have some work to do. I'm very sorry that we fell short, especially considering how long you've been visiting us, and I hope we'll have a chance to make this right soon. Please email me at bookpacificedge(at)jdvhotels(dot)com -- we wouldn't want to lose you over this.

West Covina, California
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Paim the extra money for the junior suite. Sometimes the sound of the ocean is almost too loud!!! What a fabulous view in every direction.
Everyone tries their best to make your stay the very best. Everyone smiles and is pleasant. The front destk supervisor, Bryan Dougherty is wonderful and goes out of his way to take care of each and every request.
Yes, some of the accomodations are a bit worn and dated...but this place is a perfect place to relax and renew.
Can't wait for our next trip back!!!

Room Tip: Spend the $$ and get an ocean front room in the Reef Building or the Junior Suites in the Reef Tower...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Nothing's more relaxing than the sound of the waves! Thanks for coming away with us, and for the wonderful review. We can't wait to see you again next year -- or sooner! ;)

Warm regards,
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We checked in this afternoon, arrived 45 mins early and it was no problem at all. Our room, an oceanfront junior suite, is just simply amazing. We are in this room for three night then will be spending two nights in their "Pacific Suite", the nicest room on the property. I'm so glad that I worked the extra hours that I did in order to pay for our dream vacation. Amazing beach access, we saw dolphins from our balcony 10 mins after first walking into our room. I'd just give two words of advice, BOOK IT! And to the staff of PE please keep up the great service!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank davidmK9447PM
That's great advice, David! ;) So glad that you loved your stay, and that you were able to see the dolphins from your balcony -- I hope you got some photos of that! Thanks for singing our praises. When will we get to have you back?

Warm regards,
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This place is truly a Motel 6 charging big bucks. We booked a village view room and actually had a nice view of the ocean from the balcony but the room is utterly disappointing. From the gross carpet on the floor to the 1970s bathroom, it was really just a big letdown. BIG LETDOWN!! They were our of beach towels all day. What beachfront hotel that charges $400 night doesn't buy enough beach towels? Motel 6. There are many better places to stay in Laguna Beach. Don't do it!!

Room Tip: Try to get a renovated room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dan,

Although some of our rooms have yet to receive the necessary updates, we are confident that our quality far surpasses that of the average motel chain. I'm sorry you were disappointed, and that we ran out of beach towels, but I can assure you that what you experienced is completely out of the ordinary. As such, I know we can do better, and I hope we'll have a chance to prove it to you during your next stay in Laguna Beach. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to email me at bookpacificedge(at)jdvhotels(dot)com.