“Wonderful view”

Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Essex,uk
“Wonderful view”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Beautiful view but the hotel itself could be improved. There were improvements going on as we were staying but for the price they were charging one would expect that these should have already been done. The first night and following day after we arrived there was no hot water. This was a nightmare for us as we were travelling with a small child who needed medicated bath oil for eczema and consequently became quite sore. The receptionist was not very apologetic and offered us another room to be able to have a shower- not helpful with a child under the age of 2. I was also annoyed that all we received was an apology. Hot water is a basic need and especially for a hotel that charges these prices. On the whole though the location is to die for which is why I rated a 3 and we still had a great time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Zeva90
Sean C, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
HI Zeva90,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. You're absolutely right -- hot water is such a basic part of your stay, and we should have been far more helpful when we tried to offer you a solution, especially considering your little one's bath time routine. I'm so sorry we fell short, but I want to make this right. Do you remember the receptionist's name?

Hope to speak with you soon,
Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
Las vegas
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Staying in room 308 in the Seas building and it is awful! Hotter than Las Vegas, no clock in the room, toilet runs, I can hear the entire conversation in the adjoining room, and that is just the beginning. Complete disappointment and $400 for this dump is ridiculous. I stayed in room 20 two months ago. While not luxurious, it was clean, well taken care of and I was completely satisfied! That's why I returned. The staff this visit is also completely in attentive but last visit they were amazing as well.

2 Thank Lucki7117
Sean C, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for letting us know about your most recent visit. We wouldn't want anyone to be uncomfortable, so I hope we were able to address these issues during your stay, especially the AC and toilet. Let me know if we didn't get a chance to make this right -- I know we can do better than this. Email me at bookpacificedge(at)jdvhotels(dot)com if you want to discuss this further.

Best,
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I am quite surprised by some of the reviews that aren't so good. This place was great. Yes, it is not as new and updated as some hotels, and it is a little funky, but you could not ask for better staff or a better location to town.The front desk staff was great, the valet staff is second to none, and the housekeepers were all very accommodating and friendly. When we called the valet to get our car, on most occasions they asked if they could bring it to our room. Once, when I thought I had gotten a nick on the car door, the valet went to his own car to get some rubbing compound. Luckily, it was only some gunk on the door. The only thing that marred the stay was a couple next door who must not have been able to read the no smoking signs! Great stay. We would certainly return and recommend it to our friends.

Previously we stayed at another beachfront hotel in Laguna Beach for years but their comparable rates are now over $300 per nite more than the Pacific Edge.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gsutter
We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Thanks for taking the time to share your story -- we can't wait to pass your kind words along to our team. Keep us in mind next time you need to unwind. We'd love to have you back!

Regards,
Bermuda Dunes, California
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed in room 105...one of the strangest rooms I have ever stayed in. Can't have the curtains open because anyone walking past can see in the room. The whole place smells of mold and is nasty. I know this is the beach but I have stayed at surf and sand, the ritz and st regIs and none were like this. Kitchen is out do the 50's and I wouldn't even get in the shower. Slept with a chair under the door handle and can't wait to leave in the mornimg. No closet just a rail in the corner of the room, nasty dirty broken furniture, and a tv that doesn't work. Only consolation is the bed was clean, otherwise I would have given one star. There is a lot better in the area.

Room looks nothing like the pictures on the website.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank englishgalinusa
Hi englishgalinusa,

I apologize that you had this experience with our hotel, I'm really surprised that you left feeling so disappointed. We definitely would have been happy to look into these issues during your stay, as we'd never want anyone to be uncomfortable. Were you able to speak to anyone about this? Let me know -- I want to make this right, and I know we can do better.

Best,
Las Vegas
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I have been staying at this hotel for over 30 years. My mom fell in love here and brought me here as a child. I continued the tradition by bringing the man of my dreamshere, who would later propose to me in room 115 of the reef tower overlooking the beautiful Pacific Ocean.the entire hotel staff was in on the proposal and it was one of the happiest days of my life. Of course, we immediately planned out a way to get married there, it only seemed natural.I rented the entire surf wing and reef tower and had the wedding of my dreams; with white icicle lights that lit up every balcony and up the palm tree, over 5000 rose petals gently placed onto the wood deck, I married the man of my dreams. Most of the staff attended my wedding and I remember thinking "there is no more beautiful place on earth." Since that day we have spent many anniversaries and I have raised my children coming to the beach and staying at this hotel. We have made many new friends that we now call them part of our family. We stay there at least two to three times a year and I recommend it highly to anybody that is considering a beachfront romantic or family vacation. The entire staff is extremely courteous and accommodating and always greets me with a warm smile. If you can say that there's a heaven on earth, I would say.... this is it! I love you Pacific Edge...
Love, Your favorite and best customer!
Craig and Marie Tomao

1 Thank marietomao
Sean C, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
We have to admit -- reading your story brought a tear to our eye! It's such an honor to know that you've not only made many childhood memories here, but also that you and your husband have formed new ones with your own family. What a beautiful tradition, Marie! Thanks for sharing that with us, and please let us know if there's anything else we can do to make all your visits special!

All the best,
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Joie de Vivre never lets me down on my birthday -- this summer, I had a good room upgrade with partial view of the ocean. Traveling light, I declined bellhop services in checking in but was pleased to tip the valet parking attendant for helping me check out. A regret -- the former Beach House restaurant next door no longer serves breakfast during the week, but a small restaurant nearby was satisfactory.

Room Tip: Best way to get a preferred room is to become a Joy of Life Club member.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Sean C, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Sounds like you had a fabulous stay! Thanks for celebrating your big day with us -- we can't think of a better way to ring in another year. :) See you next time you need a little time away from it all!

Cheers,
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for a weekend here after searching for a true ocean front property. Wet did get our wish, sliding doors open, wonderful sound of the ocean. Otherwise, a very strange hotel layout (really an old motel fixed up). Room was quaint, but small. Loud AC old fashioned wall units. Luckily is was cool in the evenings..1st room they assigned us was right next to the outdoor shower and 3 stairwells, including the one that comes up from the beach. A big NO thanks on that one. They did move us, with lots of begging.. Lots of rust and weathering on the railings and a little run down. Great overall concept for the place, but for $500+ per night, we would have rather stayed up the hill at the Ritz for the same price..

• Stayed August 2014
Sean C, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
I'm sorry if you felt you had to fight for a different room. That shouldn't have been the case, so I'm going to look into this right away. Despite that, it sounds like you enjoyed most of your stay, and I hope you'll give us a chance to show you an even better time once our renovations are complete. I know you'll love it!

Thanks,