“Unfortunately, basically disappointed”

Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed 22 February 2009

I called well in advance to book and PaY for the most special room I could find for a reunion with an old friend. I was told that the room I would be staying in would be "On" the water, surf right below. 2 queen size beds a balcony with an oceanview. The pictures on their website MUST be from the hotel down the road! <G>

When I arrived I was told that the room I had booked and paid for weeks ago would not be available because it was being "painted"! ? Hmmm. And none of the rooms available looked ANYthing like the online tour!

The room I settled for was old-feeling and cold. The walls were pained the off white apartment standard. Only 2 small objects decorating the walls. The small dining room table reminded me of an interrogation room complete with bright swag light!

I'm trying to find the humor in all of this. Basically, I was extremely disappointed to say the least! Instead of enjoying a nice luxurious room ON the breakers all I could do was think of ways to GET OUT and walk around!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 February 2009

After over 25 years we continue to return to this hotel because of the staff, location and view. The rooms are clean and comfortable. We tried other hotels on the water but they cannot beat the entire package this hotel consistently offers. It will always be our first choice when visiting Laguna.

1  Thank vicb43
Reviewed 15 February 2009

It was our first time visting Laguna Beach. Everything was GREAT! The grounds were clean, the staff was extremley friendly. On our last day there, the power went out in our room.When I called to report it they were there in two minutes and fixed the problem,also the water didn't get very warm I would almost call it luke warm water, nothing that would stop me from returning. I would definitley return again,and again.

1  Thank cozygurlz
Reviewed 6 February 2009

We just came back and found the hotel to be comfortable and accommodating to our needs. The staff was friendly and the front desk was very helpful, I would recommend anybody staying in Laguna to stay at this hotel.
Alan

Reviewed 20 January 2009

Many, many problems. The staff was very nice, helpful, and did they best they could... but I would stay there again. Be warned- some rooms are much worse than others.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank lmas14
Reviewed 18 January 2009

At the last minute I decided to take my 14 year old daughter and her friend away for the weekend. A good friend of mine had been coming here every summer with her family until recently. Her kids are older now and doing their own thing...So, it came highly recommended.
When we arrived, we were offered a chance to upgrade for an additional $100.00 which I declined, thinking not having an ocean view room wouldn't make or break our weekend. However, the room they initially put us in was directly over the lobby and facing the street. They have music coming from the lobby which we could clearly hear in our room and was distracting to say the least. The room wasn't too bad and we could see the ocean, but we could also see the rooftops of the building in front of us. The girls talked me into the upgrade. What the heck, it was only $100.00 and the room was significantly nicer. The view SPECTACULAR! I could sit on the balcony and watch my girls on the beach. There is a nice rec area which the girls made full use of. There was also apparently some cute boys about their age, that they are still talking about...but that's another story.
We loved it and would love to come back around August, hopefully with my whole family this time!

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed 2 January 2009

We encountered numerous problems that ensure we will not be staying at the Pacific Edge again.
To begin with, the management was deceptive. They assessed us with numerous hidden fees, including one for parking that they failed to mention originally. They made it sound like all we needed to use the hotel lot was a placard on our car. They also added a $2 "charity donation" to the bill, after I stated upon both check-in and check-out that I did not want this.
Furthermore, the management came across as lackadaisical and reactive instead of proactive. We attempted to play table tennis in the rec room and could not find a ball; upon reporting this, the front desk's response was that "several other people" had mentioned the same thing. If that is true, then why did the problem still exist? We did not even get to enjoy the facilities thanks to the apathy of the staff.
Perhaps the most egregious offense was the way we were almost literally pushed out the door. We booked the New Year's package and were welcomed with open arms; come 2 p.m. the next day, however, our room was invaded without knocking. In fact it was only 1:45 and staff were already walking all over us, cleaning our space and lining up suitcases before we'd even checked out.
As well as the bill coming to a much higher total than expected, we were blatantly ripped off. Per the web site, our deluxe package should have included a massage, house music, recovery pills, and numerous breakfast items. The staff omitted every amenity listed above, providing us with nothing more than a $25 food certificate and a sorry excuse.
Finally there was the hotel itself, which rivals urban slum housing for dinginess. The walls were paper thin and the "windows" did nothing to barricade sound; one was just several taped slats with no solid pane behind them. This hotel skimped on everything--included the most basic essentials--and had little to justify its price besides the ocean in the immediate background.
Since we can't get a refund, our compensation will occur in the form of negative reviews on as many travel sites as possible. Maybe if enough customers do this, Pacific Edge will feel the effect and either fold under the economy or be forced to improve its customer service.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple