“Excellent Place to Stay”

Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
New York
“Excellent Place to Stay”
Reviewed 24 June 2009

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!! It doesn’t get any better than here. We stayed in the Reef Tower with a kitchenette and corner balcony directly over the beach. We had a full panoramic view of the ocean, beach, and an amazing sunset each night. The beach was accessible directly from our balcony and, in my opinion the surf was the best in front of our room. On the last night we saw 7-8 dolphins playing in the waves. Who needs Sea World when you can watch from your balcony? Beach chairs, umbrellas, and towels are provided and were always available. The rooms are comfortable and clean. There was plenty of room in the bathroom with a separate vanity area. Restaurants and shops are all within walking distance so no need for your car. We loved the Taco Loco across the street for quick fish tacos. The service was outstanding and I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
Canada
Reviewed 24 June 2009

I had an amazing stay here. It was only one night but I can't stop thinking about it.

I found this hotel by walking down the South coast highway of laguna beach. I inquired to about 5 other hotels but this one was the best. I was offered the best rate (BEACH FRONT) for even cheaper than the holiday in accross the street (not beach front).

The room was spectacular. SO clean with a fridge and huge soft and comfortable king bed, right on the ocean. I have seen the ocean alot (i live for the beach) and my breath was taken away when i walked in my room and saw the view. I reccomend this place for the perfect laguna beach stay. right in the central part of town for good walking to all the good local stores. The staff treatment is flawless and they were all very generous with their service (i had to hang out in the lobby for two hours after i checked out and wasnt a guest anymore and they still treated me wonderfull)

when i go back to go to laguna beach I will go back here!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
las vegas
Reviewed 15 June 2009

More than the name has changed at the ocean front property formerly known as Vacation Village. The staff and management of Pacific Edge are delightful. We booked the day of our stay and resv. was very helpful in getting us a room appropriate for our needs. The employees have shared their input for things to do around town in an in-room guest guide. The whole property has a fresh look. The rooms are updated and more comfortable. They have pulled together with the community to provide guests with added value. You can use your room key to obtain discounts at local eateries, shops and galleries. Plus you have access to the local fitness center at no charge. And the staff @ the shops actually are aware of it. It was nice to save some extra money. PE has also added room service that is available for order in-room or while your @ the beach. We look forward to another stay with this property!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 14 June 2009

We booked this hotel from the website. It appeared that rooms were ocean view and that the hotel was in great condition. Well to our surprise the hotel looked 100 years old and we did not have an ocean view. We made the best of it and reached our room to have the smell of dirty socks. Everything was old and outdated. A few chairs were stained. The beds were hard as a rock and the airconditioning never worked. We made the most of it because it was a bachelorette party and we didn't have the luxury of changing hotels. However, I would never stay here again for the price the room should have been a lot nicer and updated.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank tsnat7
Los Angeles
Reviewed 9 June 2009

My husband and I were on an anniversary getaway and found Pacific Edge online and were beyond surprised!! We had a wine reception with the Director of Engineering, Suwat-who is also an amazing artist. He took us on a tour of a beautiful villa you can rent and showed us around the property. We then met the General Manager, Eric and felt like we were old friends with all of the staff. Our room was on the beach and we could not have asked for a better view. We cannot wait to come back to Laguna Beach and stay at the Pacific Edge. Thank you for a wonderful Anniversary!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 5 June 2009

Beach/Ocean: We took our kids (age 5 and twins, age 2) and we were thrilled with the view from our room! The kids walked right onto the balcony to see the sand below us and the vast ocean only a few yards away! This is the way you want your children to experience their first visit to the ocean. In the reef rooms, you can hear the waves crashing on the shore 24/7 and we couldn't hear any bothersome noise (e.g. partiers on Coast Blvd. or in the pool area). Our kids would wake up in the morning and go right down to the beach in their pajamas! If you want to be "directly on the beach" and have the balcony with the view of the ocean, you'll want the reef rooms, at the very least.

Cleanliness: The hotel is old. They've invested in some modern room decor and furnishings and painted some bold accent walls to freshen them up, but old is old. If you have any eye for detail, you will notice things like the popcorn ceiling, plumbing fixtures and awful bathroom walls. The room was "visually" clean, but the evidence of how old the hotel is reminded me of all the travelers past who had stayed in the room. My biggest complaint is that the rooms are carpeted, which is soooo gross. The carpet stays damp and beach sand gets dragged in, no matter how much you dry to shake it off. I laid down towels on the carpet to walk on, because after I showered the carpet would turn my feet all dirty. Needless to say, tile flooring and bathroom remodels would be a huge improvement for me.

Location: The location is great! There are so many art galleries, restaurants, retail stores, etc... that are all within walking distance. Laguna's Main Beach is like 1/4 mile away and there are plenty of other beaches that you can drive to in a matter of minutes for tidepooling and playgrounds.

Dining: There is a KFC, Taco Bell and a local Taco joint closest to the hotel - NONE OF WHICH I WOULD EVER CONSIDER EATING AT...LOL The Beach House is a restaurant that serves breakfast/lunch/dinner and is right next door to the hotel. The surf and turf AND alskan halibut dishes were expensive, but excellent - I would recommend this restaurant for a nice dinner. It has great ambience and an intimate setting, along with a beautiful view for indoor or outdoor balcony dining. The restaurant staff provided great service and was very friendly and accomodating, but we also tried very hard to keep our kids on their very best behavior, so as not disturb the many couples that were dining.

The hotel staff recommended a Mexican restaurant called Alfredo's or Alfonso's (can't remember exactly). It is more of a fast food style Mexican eatery, but the staff was very friendly and helpful and the food was good and inexpensive.

For breakfast, we ate closer to Main Beach at a french restaurant called C'est La Vie. The menu is more limited, but the Tropical Crepes were killer. I couldn't resist them. They also have a patisserie, so you can go in and buy tartes, eclairs, croissants, etc... to take back to the room for snacks.

P.S. They have a Rocky Mountain Chocolates and a little boutique chocolatier called Rue de Chocolate that is tucked away down a little corridor, where you can satisfy all of your chocolate needs, especially chocolate covered stawberries! Yum.

A few other things to note:

For traveling, Coast Blvd. pretty much takes you to most places.
Bring your own beach towels - trust me.
The hotel provides complimentary beach chairs, loungers and umbrellas (thumbs up)

Finally, I am fairly certain that we will stay here again. Although, I would like to stay at the Sand & Surf to compare. When we do come back, I'm going to ask if they have any rooms with tile...lol

P.S. I almost forgot! The reservation staff is AWESOME! Completely and totally accomodating! Flexible with room rates and made room changes within 24 hours of arrival without penalizing us with any additional charges. A+++++++++ FOLKS

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
atlanta, ga
Reviewed 1 June 2009

We loved staying at Pacific Edge. Our room was right overlooking the ocean and we could walk to town for excellent meals. The service was very polite and helpful. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family