“Heaven .....found.”
Review of Manzanita Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Laguna Beach
Manzanita Cottages
Reviewed 24 May 2013

To the previous reviewer who compared this to the Shire- NAILED IT.

1) Location. This little group of cottages are in a GREAT laguna location. A 10 minute walk from downtown Laguna beach (i rented a car and didnt actually need it for half the trip).

2) As much as these cottages are tucked away, literally down a small street across from the high school, I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the front gate. - Dont judge a book by its cover when you drive up initially and park. There were colored cottage doors, kept gardens and lawns, and even a well !

3) I stayed in the single/studio room and it was PERFECT for just me. I only wished I could have stayed in a cottage. The room was extremely clean, and the attention to detail gave it a lot of character PLUS the bed was very VERY comfortable. I woke up every day feeling like I had the best night sleep of my life- When I woke up in the morning sunlight literally filled EVERY nook and cranny of that apartment. I feel like I needed to be a writer or a painter to dream and come up with my next masterpiece.

In conclusion, this property is the best kept secret in laguna- I highly highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank acarone

Reviewed 21 March 2013

The Manzanita Cottages are a truly spectacular place to stay when visiting Laguna Beach. The cottages are ideal for couples wanting a romantic retreat or even a family on vacation. I have stayed in the Red and Yellow cottages and really loved them both. The rooms were immaculate and the beds were very comfortable. Plus it is only a short walk into the heart of Laguna or the pristine beach! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mack c
Reviewed 5 January 2013

My wife and I were looking for a quaint getaway for rest. The pictures reminded us of the Shire from Tolkien's Hobbit, which we love. We were not disappointed. Quiet area. Great attention to detail within the cottage and the landscaping. We actually read a bit from The Hobbit in front of the warm fireplace. The layout of the 4 cottages are the same, but we chose the yellow cottage and loved it.

P.S. We were concerned about a couple negative reviews on here about the management and response time. We found that e-mail worked best (info@manzanitacottages.com) and the management was very accommodating. Thanks Manzanita!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Peter B
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Have you dreamed of getting away to your own little cottage to write, paint, dream or just relax? Looking for a romantic getaway? This is the place. I stayed at the Yellow Cottage and loved it!

Sunlight poured through the floor to ceiling windows during the day and the beautiful fireplace kept things cozy at night. Butterflies flit around the gardens and herbs grew just outside the door--which you're encouraged to clip and use for cooking. If you enjoy genuinely old buildings, you'll appreciate the glass doorknobs, original door latches and creaky hardwood floors.

The cottage was very clean and fresh flowers on the table were a lovely greeting. Other good things? A roomy king-sized bed, private patio, a dedicated (free) parking space, beach towels, iron and ironing board, laundry room (separate building) and a big closet. The cottages are nestled in a very safe, quiet and beautiful neighborhood.

Any downsides? Yes, but nothing insurmountable.The only tri-plug outlets are in the kitchen and bath, so be prepared if you bring a laptop; unless you bring an extension cord, you can't work on the laptop while it's plugged in. The bedroom and bath get chilly--but there's a space heater. The kitchen and bath are both quite small but well-appointed.

All in all, a great getaway spot close to downtown best for solo travelers or a couple. And you'll get a nice workout (and lovely view) as you climb the hill to return to your private, sweet and peaceful cottage!

Room Tip: Read through the descriptions of the four different cottages and choose which one sounds most appeal...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2012

So glad we chose to stay at Manzanita Cottages for two nights last week. We stayed in the "Green Cottage" - it was immaculate, comfortable and very relaxing. It was MUCH nicer than staying in a hotel on the PCH. It's tucked away in a quiet neighborhood a few blocks uphill from the beach and from the restaurants. It's all very walkable. I only wish we had more time to spent in the garden.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2012

In reading all of the reviews I noticed most of the stays were during the offseason and the weather is comfortable. I booked a stay in the Blue Cottage for a week this September. They look nice and I thought it would be a nice experience in lieu of a hotel. Being from TX and I have stayed in Laguna Beach before, I was looking forward to a change. I was not made aware of no AC in the cottages and when we arrived the cottage was so hot that we could not even remain. When I contacted the owner, she was rude and told me to go to the beach. We setup all of fans and stayed for over 6 hours hoping to come back to a cool place. Even with the 3 fans and windows opened, still hot and humid. We had to leave, get a hotel and could not go back. I am sure this a nice place during the winter season, but, not during summer months. I asked for a refund and again rude response. I am not going to pay for service not received. This was an awful experience and I will never go back to stay at the Cottages. The owers seems to believe that character of the cottages replaces comfort.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank G K
JtoddH, Owner at Manzanita Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2012

We have a long history of delighting guests. In fact, we are the highest rated vacation rental property in Laguna Beach, so it's very disturbing to read these distorted comments.

Although she claims that I was rude to her, I never had a conversation with her. It was quite unfortunate that the guest adopted a hostile attitude from the outset and didn't give us a chance to work out an amicable solution.

A couple of things should be pointed out in our defense. The national weather service has on record that the average high was 71 degrees during her stay. Nowhere on our website do we indicate that we have air-conditioning, nor do we show it on the list of amenities on any of the third party travel sites. Our welcome letter which is sent a few days prior to arrival has a link to the weather forecast for Laguna Beach, so there should be no surprises there. Finally, the guest did in fact receive a full refund. Since we didn't promise air conditioning it's hard to argue that we deprived her of a that service.

The guest abruptly vacated the property, took the keys and threatened to hold them hostage until we agreed to provide a refund--not a warm and fuzzy approach to problem solving.

In our twelve years in this business we've never encountered such hostility and obstinacy. We've advised our fellow lodging establishments to beware of bookings from this guest.

Reviewed 21 July 2012

My wife and I just returned from another amazing stay at the Manzanita Cottages. We visited to celebrate our third wedding anniversary and are never disappointed by the great communication and high level of customer service by Diane the property manager and the owner.

Thank you to the entire Manzanita Cottages Team!

Best Regards,