“Enchanting Story Book Cottage”
Review of Manzanita Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Laguna Beach
Manzanita Cottages
Denver, Colorado
“Enchanting Story Book Cottage”
Reviewed 3 January 2011

We loved this place! The cottage was cute, comfortable and very clean - and dog friendly! Lots of room to spread out, very nicely decorated and quite. The owners happened to be there during our stay - very gracious and welcoming. Great location - easy to walk to downtown Laguna and to the beach.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Salt Lake City
Reviewed 5 October 2010

I'm still so disappointed I didn't get to stay in my Red Cottage over the weekend (Sept 30th). I spent hours researching just the right place for me and my husband to stay and spend a romantic weekend in Laguna. I read the negative reviews on the Internet about reservation problems but thought surely these had been resolved by now! Imagine my 'anger' when we showed up in the dark after a long day to find someone already occupying our cottage! Just what we had read about! And Rose could not be contacted! We ended up down the street at the Holiday Inn. The next morning, Rose claimed to have moved us to the Green Cottage which wasn't communicated to us and this cottage was still not cleaned from the previous renters. While Rose offered it to us free for the rest of the weekend we decided not to wait for the cottage to be cleaned and get on with enjoying our weekend and stay put. I love to get settled in when I go on a trip and not have to move. I must say, I still have a heavy heart from this experience. I just can't imagine a place being so poorly run.And I was so excited to stay at the cottages vs. a hotel. I even confirmed my reservation 2 weeks prior! Read the reviews people and make your decisions accordingly.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Desertbound_9
Easy2please1951, Owner at Manzanita Cottages, responded to this review, 25 February 2011
I am the owner of Manzanita Cottages and am deeply sorry for this and other negative reviews. We have been in business for ten years and went through a serious rough patch with an ineffective manager. I am happy to say that she has been replaced and we are totally back in the business of delighting guests during their stay in Laguna. If you are reading this review and are willing to give us a chance to delight you, go to our website and utilize our online reservation process. In the comment section let us know that you have seen this comment on Trip Advisor and we will give you a 10% discount on the rental fee. Thank you for giving us a chance!
--Todd Herzer, owner.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I was in town with my husband for a friend's wedding and bc we're always looking for charming, unique places to stay we booked here. We arrived after a transatlantic flight absolutely exhausted and found the place to be almost deserted and that our cottage did not have air conditioning. I should have checked this before I reserved but we did call the manager to ask if any other cottages had air which none of them do. We were also told it is normally fine bc of coastal breezes - not in July. The room was humid and uncomfortable so I asked for a refund of my deposit and we left. We were lucky enough to find a room at the Inn at Laguna Beach last minute (which was lovely). The real nightmare was after we left as the manager at Manzanita never refunded our money as agreed and then stopped answering my emails and calls. Basically after almost 6 months and turning them in to American Express they were forced to pay us back but what a complete nightmare. DO NOT reserve at this hotel!!!!

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank London93
manzanitalagunabeach, Owner at Manzanita Cottages, responded to this review, 15 September 2010
We strive to ensure all guests an enjoyable and memorable stay.
This particular guest reserved the studio apartment for August 2009.
This historic property was built in 1927 and as a seaside village, air
conditioning was not a necessity. August 2009 was warm and while we do
supply fans in each cottage and apartment, this guest was not happy.

We wanted to ensure her comfort for her visit to Laguna Beach so we
assisted in finding alternate accommodations and issued a credit,
which is against normal policy.

We certainly hope this guest will visit Laguna Beach and Manzanita
Cottages again.

Sent: 01 August 2009
Subject: Manzanita Cottages of Laguna Beach

We hope you had an enjoyable time in Laguna Beach.
We are sorry you chose not to stay with us, but do hope you will
be back in the future to experience a cottage.

As you know, our cancellation policy stipulates refunds within 90 days
of arrival date, particularly during our busy summer season. We have,
however, issued you a refund. Below is your transaction refund summary:
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 24 May 2010

My husband and I have stayed at the cottages multiple times. Last year's reservation was a nightmare, finding out only a few days before we'd been moved to the yellow cottage. Not what we booked.

This year we booked in February for our August trip. Just days after we paid our deposit we were informed by the property manager she "forgot" about another reservation and the blue cottage wasn't available for one of the 14 nights we booked. It was the last straw for us, reminiscent of what'd we'd been through the year before. Emails unanswered and issues throughout the summer attempting to get us to spend one night here and move, etc.

We are sad to say goodbye to our favorite BEAUTIFUL Laguna vacation spot. The integrity issues were just too much to deal with.

One last thing . . . we still haven't received our check back in the mail for our deposit, despite regular email requests send to Rose.

Manzanita Cottages, we will miss you so much this year.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LUNNLV
--Todd Herzer, owner.
Reviewed 3 October 2009

Quaint cottages hidden in quiet residential area. Needed to change reservation a couple times, management very helpful. Recommend for romantic get away.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple