“Great atmosphere/food!”
Review of Big Fish Tavern

Big Fish Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Big Fish Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 168 Restaurants in Laguna Beach
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Legion
Description: House of BIG FISH and Ice Cold Beer – the name says it all. This seafood savvy neighborhood hotspot boasts an upbeat atmosphere and a straightforward menu of fresh fish perfectly paired with one of the best ice cold beer selections in town. From the clean, vibrant interior to the relaxing ocean views of the wraparound dining patio, BIG FISH is uniquely Laguna Beach.
Gilbert, Arizona
“Great atmosphere/food!”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Loved the fresh fish, great beer and drink selection - fun lively place. The outdoor patio was amazing.

Visited September 2013

Pasadena, California
“Wonderful choice for our wedding reception...”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

This review is for the date 12-12-12.

When I think of the House of Big Fish and Ice Cold Beer, I first thought amazingly fresh seafood and a great view! It did not occur to me that this would be THE absolute best spot for my wedding reception spot. My fiancé and I planned our laid back wedding in less than a month – no real reason for the rush other than we wanted to be married on a cool day like 12-12-12 and we had been engaged for 1 ½ year—so there was no reason to wait.

We met with the General Manager (yay! Brad) the Sunday before our Wednesday wedding and found him to be genuinely nice, easy to get along with, and incredibly helpful. My husband and I are not huge on dancing at weddings and we wanted an intimate wedding and wedding reception – the most important things for us at a wedding reception were to have incredible food, yummy dessert, some sort of entertainment, budget friendly, good selection of alcohol, and the ability to socialize with our family of friends. With this specific restaurant, we hit each one of our musts. The restaurant has several TV’s which allowed our wedding guests to be entertained (with sports) while they socialized and ate an incredible dinner they personally selected (less stress for us as we wanted to be able to enjoy our day and our close friends in place of worrying). We also wanted to select specific items from the menu that our guests could order, so we created our own reception menu and emailed it to Brad for review and approval ---he in turn approved and had his team of server’s work with us on getting the menu to our guests. My fiancé even dropped off decorations (balloons & flowers & candles) before he left to get ready for our wedding and they set up the decorations just the way we requested! As soon as we arrived to our reception, they allowed our close friend to announce us as the Mr. & Mrs. --- our server greeted us with a glass of champagne (allowing us to make a toast shortly after entrance) ….and after we finished our meal, they started bringing out the cupcakes we selected. The servers and GM consistently checked with everyone to make sure they had what they needed and consulted with me and my husband to make sure everything was as we had requested. They even packaged up all of our decorations, our champagne glasses, and the menu’s everyone ordered off of (in the instance we wanted to check after them).

Okay, so in summary, the Food was PERFECT, the Service was amazing for our wedding reception – A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! My gosh we couldn’t have asked for better service. They took care of us from the moment we got there to the time we finally decided to leave (and we were the last people there), the bathrooms were clean, and parking was a synch. Guests even commented on how neat of a place it was to have a reception.
Oh—and one additional note, they had two parties that evening and not once did we have an issue –and the food came out in a timely manner, which was amazing to me since they had over 100 people for both parties at the same time.

• Visited December 2012
Laguna Beach, CA
“House of Big Fish Expands Popular Happy Hour Menu”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

While most restaurateurs in Laguna are changing up their Happy Hour menus now to accommodate the re-emergence of us locals, the House of Big Fish & Ice Cold Beer has created a significant change in their already popular Happy Hour menu.

Unlike the old days when the Big Fish Happy Hour began at about 2:30 with menu pricing equal to the time you ordered, Chef Craig has minimized the Big Fish happy hour timeframe, but greatly increased the offerings on the menu.

Now, Laguna’s favorite “fish shack” features happy hour from 4:30 – 5:30 p.m., Monday – Friday. It’s Raw Bar offerings include oysters, Craig’s famous Hawaiian Ahi Poke, Blackened Ahi Sashimi, shrimp cocktail, “Peruvian style” ceviche and even Salmon Carpaccio.

Seafood specials on the Big Fish Happy Hour menu have increased to some great offerings, too, including Gumbo, their Hobo Fish Plate, the Lobster Fondue and Craig’s famous fish tacos.

Not interested in seafood? There’s still room for you at the Big Fish Happy Hour with hamburgers and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Drink offerings are $5 well drinks and draft beers, and $6 house reds and whites and craft cocktails.

As a bonus, when you offer any cocktail, beer or wine from the regular dinner menu, you can also order any food item from the dinner menu during Happy Hour and get 50% off! Not a bad deal, given the enormous foodie fare awaiting you at House of Big Fish.

• Visited September 2013
/las /vegas
“Hit or miss place.”
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

I am not sure if I would ever return to this place. Menu seems quite inexpensive but most items do not include sides. Burgers and sandwiches do not include fries. Portions are on the small side. I ordered tilapia which had a swampy taste yet the risotto that came with it was very tasty. We started out with chips and salsa and very few chips were in the basket. For dessert I ordered banana bread pudding which was pretty good. The worst thing about place was the service. The waiter rarely came around for drink refills. One guest in our party ordered wine and he did not get his glass until his dinner arrived and
only because he had to remind the waiter. The worst part of it all was that a 20 percent gratuity was automatically added because we had a large party.

• Visited August 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Love it; must try this dish”
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

I've been here seberal times with my family over the years. Today I finally tried te macadamia crusted tilapia. I always thought it was "just tilapia". Whoa. Shut the front door. You have to have it.

• Visited August 2013