“Super chic boutique hotel in the heart of Laguna Beach.”

14 West Boutique Hotel
“Super chic boutique hotel in the heart of Laguna Beach.”
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

14 West is perfectly positioned for beach walking, shopping & dining. This is a great place for a romantic get-a-way or for a group traveling together. Nice in-suite amenities, but bring your own coffee if you want it in your room. Love the fireplace!

• Stayed October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Pinole, CA
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We found 14 West Hotel on Hotels.com (after looking at Airbnb choices) while looking for an affordable, centrally located hotel in Laguna CA for a weekend getaway to celebrate our anniversary.

The hotel is located on the eternally busy Pacific Coast Highway, but all the 14 rooms are on the second level (the first is reserved for parking). Once climbing the stairs to the next level (there are no elevators, so expect to get yourself and your bags to your room on your own unless you request help) the street sounds subside a bit and you are treated to very well designed layout with 7 rooms in rows on each side facing each other with colorful chaise lounges & umbrellas in the middle and two chairs outside of each room. There is also an outdoor serving station with a small refrigerator and a generous outdoor hot tub at the rear which is open 24 hours.

Our room number 5 was clean, very well designed and reasonably spacious. All the furnishings seemed to be high-end, contemporary, euro-style. The mini-kitchen unit with a marble counter top was so appealing we wanted to take it home. It had everything you could want - bulit in microwave, two burners, two side by side mini-refrigerators, sink, flatware, wineglasses, bowls, plates, and more. The bathroom sink and mirror had its own area and the bathroom had the toilet and shower/tub combination with top notch fixtures. There was also a nice closet at the very rear of the room with plenty of shelves and hanging space for two.

The king sized bed had a heavenly tempur-pedic mattress which was devine to sleep on. There is also a divan at the entrance right next to the floor to ceiling picture window that could be used for a third person or child.

Although the main window and small skylights are the only sources of natural light, they were quite adequate. And the main window has two shades that completely cover it, one which is tanslucent and the other which is opaque. Raising both gives you a relaxing view of the common area outside your door which adds a nice feeling of openess. If you want to sleep, keep them both down because sun does come into the window on the north side rooms in the morning.

There is a large HD Television on the wall in front of the bed, but the remote control unit does not work unless you open the closet door at the back, locate the cox cable box on the floor, and pull it in the middle of the closet doorway so it can be seen and aimed at by the remote. In short, you have a line of sight from the remote to the cable box. It then will respond to the signal. We struggled for a while before we figured out that this was necessary, but thereafter it worked just fine.

The staff was great but someone was not always in the office. If you plan to arrive on a weekend, call ahead and make sure they know when you are coming.

The central location was terrific for exploring Laguna. The beach, restaurants, shops, movie, art galleries and more were an easy walk from the hotel and their suggestions as to where to eat where good ones. We had plenty to see and do! While the hotel does not offer sea views from the rooms, there is a lovely elevated vista of the entire Laguna beach just across the street from the hotel with a path that leads down for beach access.

We had a memorable visit and the prices were great so we'd definitely go back again.

Room Tip: I would try the rooms further away from the front of the hotel as they should have less car noise wh...
Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our fifth anniversary trip the first week of November and loved everything about it! The rooms are stylish and modern with great amenities, like the fireplace and kitchen. It's a perfect location too, walk-able to Cleo Street beach, tons of restaurants, shops, Ralph's, and galleries too. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Avalon 8 has a really cool balcony overlooking PCH with a view of the ocean, but it can be loud if y...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed at the hotel last week. Everything was great. Carolyn the office manager even carried our bags to the room. I would definitely stay here again.The location is perfect where you can leave your car in a gated garage and walk everywhere.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Los Angeles
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and I spent the weekend in Laguna Beach for her birthday and I booked this place based on the pictures of the amazing rooms. Room #7 was very nice with a very comfy tempur-pedic bed, kitchenette, and big screen TV with HBO. The hotel is about a short block away from the Cliffs Restaurant so the location was very convenient. We are able to walk to the Kya Bistro in about 15 minutes. The wifi worked fine while we were there.

Check-in time was 3:00 but our room wasn't ready until 4:00. No biggie as we just walked into town to do a little shopping and they called us when the room was ready. The light above the bathroom sink wasn't working so they put in a little desk lamp which was fine for washing hands but, not for my wife putting her makeup on. If you book #7, you may want to ask if they have fixed it. On the lights on the left side of the best wasn't working either but, we weren't looking to do any reading so that didn't bothered us. They don't provide coffee or tea but, it is right next to a Ralphs if you want to brew your own during your stay.

It was strange having to point the cable remote toward the closet were the receiver was as other reviewers have mentioned but, we got to used to it after awhile. South Coast Highway does get pretty noisy on the weekends so getting the balcony rooms may not be ideal if you prefer to have it more quiet.

All in all, it was a very nice stay and slept pretty well. If we stay in Laguna Beach again, we'll definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room toward the back away from the street if you prefer a quieter stay.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
LA
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Loved this place.
Perfect for a quite, perfected getaway in Laguna Beach.
Only 14 rooms, and a hot tub.
Modern rooms, and sleek design. Not over the top.
A block away from the beach, and lots of food and restaurants to choose from.
Great for couples or a group of friends.
Bring an eye mask, because the light in the room in the morning can be harsh.
AC is loud.
Free parking.

Room Tip: Bring an eye mask, because the light in the room is bright in the morning. AC is loud.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I've stayed at 14West twice and have had room #12 both times. I live in Orange County but like to stay at a hotel at least once a month to get some alone time away from the roommates and after staying at a few different places I know that 14West is the ONLY place I will book going forward.

The building is super secure and feels like a private condo complex. The room is like an upscale hip studio. The frosted glass is a little weird at first but not a big deal (I just pulled down the curtains), The sitting area is perfect for doing a little work as it had enough plugs to keeps my laptop and tablet hooked up and the wi-fi was pretty quick. The kitchen area is cute and efficient and they provide wine glasses (hey, I need something to drink while I work on reports). And with Ralph's around the corner it is easy to pick up snacks, drinks and anything you forgot at home.

The closet is a great size with plenty of space to store your stuff. The vanity with the sink is big too so it is easy to get yourself organized and ready in the morning (the light was tricky at first as it is on a dimmer but once i realized that it wasn't mood lighting I was golden). The bathroom was awesome, nice deep soaking tub, LATHER bath products (if you haven't tried them you need to stop reading and go buy some... seriously), the bath mat is probably the best hotel bath mat I have ever used (one of those squishy foam feeling ones), the towels were soft and a good size. And everything was really clean.

Now the important... the bed... OMG... LOVE the bed, I seriously thru away my old mattress and bought the same one for my place after I stayed here. The bed is a memory foam bed with plenty of comfy pillows. I didn't even wake up when the BF rolled over in his sleep (fine, second visit was more of a couple's getaway than 'alone time') and apparently I snore less too so yay for that. The fireplace in front of the bed is romantic and cute... but it gets really hot in the room, so just use it accordingly.

The only somewhat annoying thing is that the TV box is in the closet so you have to aim the remote toward the closet to change channels... not a big deal though... it isn't like I got the room to watch TV, right?

I got to meet the owner as I was checking out on my last visit and he was very nice and friendly; also the woman who helped me make my reservation (both times) was great. Overall, if you are looking for a place to stay in Laguna I would highly recommend 14West.

Safe travels!!!