“Very good food”

Dining options: Reservations
Laguna Beach
“Very good food”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We went to Remarks Restaurant, a rebranding of Marks restaurant in Laguna Beach, for a charity event. They had over 100 people, and handled the crowd extremely well.

First we had a sampling of their appetizers. Those included fried green tomatoes with an aioli dressing and a lamb chop with mint jelly (that appeared house made). Both are on their regular menu, and both were excellent. That was followed by a superb salad and a choice of filet or salmon or a vegetarian dish. I had a really excellent filet.

Based on our experience, the chef really knows what he is doing; the service was friendly; the bar was terrific; and the ambiance was very good--although it's hard to know what a "regular" night would be at this sort of gathering.

Remarks has a very loyal following, and in talking with them it appears that our experience was similar to that of regulars--a very good restaurant, friendly staff, and great food.

By the way, this restaurant is very close to the Pageant of the Masters and to the other art festivals in Laguna during the summer. It is a very good find for that.

Reservations can be made online or at 949-715-8700. Their website, which shows their full menu (which is modestly priced, although everything is ala carte) is at http://www.remarkslagunabeach.com

I am not affiliated with this restaurant in any way--I just noted that the tripadvisor listing had omitted both the website address and the phone number.

I have given the restaurant a rating of 4--very good. I may revise that (I suspect upward) when we are able to try it without the crowd there.

• Visited June 2013