“Don't come here for peace and quiet...”

Laguna Riviera Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I so wanted to love this place. I booked their best room, #101, over six months ago for my husband's birthday. Front desk service from Ana was very cordial. Yes, parking was tight but we lucked out on a good safe space by the office. Yes, we had to lug all of our luggage down stairs and a steep path to the room. Found the room air conditioned and clean. Lovely deck, but everyone can see you and everyone needs to walk past to get to the beach. Settle in to a comfy chair to relax in the room, close my eyes and .... what's that?? Sounds like a herd of elephants upstairs. Back and forth, stomp stomp stomp. Non stop. There's two room above ours and ZERO noise insulation between our ceiling and their floors and decks. Thankfully they were older and went to bed early, but also got up early waking us at 7:45 every day (ugh).
Amenities: pool - um, no thanks. Indoors and smelled swampy and weird, can't even describe that. Activities - a broke down pool table. Towels (in room) were SOOOO old and frayed. I think I scratched myself with them. One old, frayed, stained bathrobe for the two of us to share (lol). A stained dishtowel to use in the kitchenette which had a rusty, dirty refrigerator. Lumpy, flat pillows. Drapes were good, but were about to fall out of the ceiling due to the screw coming out of the plaster. Had to ask for a DVD player, go get it ourselves with no instructions and no remote (I didn't even use it, ultimately. If I want to set up a peripheral device to a TV set, it's not worth my time and effort).
I wish I could say we loved it and can't wait to return, but I can't at this point. Maybe in time, when I forget the negative stuff and just remember the nice view. But sometimes a nice view just isn't enough. A little quality control would go a long way in this place. That and insulation. Seriously.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2011

It is unfortunate that noisy neighbors colored this guests entire stay. While we cannot predict the occasional noisy family with kids that are having too much fun, when notified, we intervene and ask them to quiet down and respect our other guests. It is unfortunate that this guest had to endure the noise rather than contact the office.

During our recent remodel, cork was placed between all floors to help deaden the sound, but in the end, this is an ordinal wooden building that does not have the isolation of modern concrete towers. The Laguna Riviera is a classic ocean front property.

I must take exception to several of this guests opinions as I believe they have been unduly influenced and exagerated by their experience with the noisy guests.

1) The pool area is a salt water system for both the jacuzzi and pool. The most common compliment we receive since the conversion is how great the water feels on the skin and how fresh the area smells. No more chlorine fumes.
2) Not only do we not have a broken down pool table, we don't have a pool table at all.
3) Towels are replaced yearly and a single stain or hole takes them out of service. After this review I toured the room and the laundry to confirm we are not issuing frayed towels with the ability to scratch.
4) This room should have come with 2 bathrobes and if housekeeping missed one, a call to the desk would have had a second one delivered in minutes. The bathrobes also are replaced as needed and are of the highest quality made of high thread count Egyptian cotton. I still use mine daily from our first order in 2003 and it still feels like new. You can purchase the same brand and style in major department stores for $75-$95 each. Our guest enjoy them so much that we have a Christmas rush on the ones we retail for only $65.oo ea.
5) We do not as a rule provide DVD players, but do have a couple on hand that we lend out for free. If maintenance is available they can install it, but off hours it is up to the guest to understand how to plug in and operate the complimentary DVD player.
6) There may be a small rust spot or two on the refrigerator, but it is not all rusty. Since it sits by a often open double wide sliding door a few yards from the ocean the interaction with the salt air is unavoidable. The fridge is cleaned thoroughly after each guest checks out and operates perfectly.

While it is very unfortunate that this guest had their stay interrupted by the noisy group on the deck above theirs, I wish they had taken the time to let the office know so that we could remedy the situation before it colored their entire stay. We are more than happy to intervene in order to help everyone enjoy their vacations.

Happy travel,

Reviewed 17 September 2011

Let me start by saying that I had an idea that this would be an older, cutesy bed and bfast kinda place to stay and it is... Sort of. Now for the problem, After staying here, I don't think I really like it as much as I thought I would! Let me explain, service at check in was poor. We Arrived after a very long drive late at night, tired but happy to be here. There was no one avail at the check in.... Sign said back in 15 minutes.... Ugh! Fortunately they arrived after a few minutes and we checked in. We asked about parking since we were arriving late and everything looked full. We were told to "try" around the side that there "should" be parking. Not very comforting but ok. We asked where our room was and she waved her hand across the parking area and muttered something about up the stairs. We thought...fine we can find it ourselves. We found pkg down a dark alley then did not know how to get back to the lobby or enter hotel property. Thank goodness another guest exited one of the side doors and told us where we should go to find our rooms. At this point we are dragging all of our luggage and bags with us down the alley, thru the side door and up the back stairs. We were on the 5 th floor and proceeded to climb all the stairs to our room. Once we got to the 5th fl we were exhausted and a little frustrated, especially since we could not find our room number. Now remember, it is around 11 at night, dark, we are tired, hubby has an injured foot and is having a difficult time walking/climbing and we are still dragging our heavy stuff around trying to find our room. We are both college educated and wondered why this was so hard! We walked back and forth up and down the hall trying to locate our room number that did not exist, even though we were soooo close. Ugh again. Now the delima, what to do? We did not want to drag everything back down the stairs to the lobby, so we called the front desk and asked for help. She said something about going downstairs and something.... Huh? I wanted to scream!!! Then she appeared below us in the pkg area and was definitely directing us to go back downstairs so we noisily (not on purpose... Sorry sleeping neighbors) dragged all our bags back down 2 flight of stairs. The she again mumbled and waved in the direction of our room. Huh? Hubby started in one direction going down another flight of stairs while I started to go back up a new staircase.... Thank goodness she came back to tell us that we had to go back up the stairs that I was on. Did i mention that we have degrees and can count and have never had this much trouble locating a room before? Ugh... We climb the new stairs and quickly locate our room but we are exhausted and hubby is in pain. Not a fun way to start a romantic weekend. After all this work we finally enter the room and we are not impressed. It is small, awkward and not as nice as we had hoped. Disappointing for sure. Bathroom is small, odd shape and zero counter space for our supplies. Shower feels like it belongs in a trailer. The bedroom is small, the bed is low, and it feels cramped with the two of us with our luggage. One of the reasons we booked here was because it was oceanfront. However, our view below was obstructed by the lower level that extended out towards the ocean blocking our beautiful view. Not what we expected. The room was awkwardly divided and had a porched in area between the bedroom and a very small, cramped deck. Breakfast was also an interesting experience. There is an unfriendly person there that will hand you whatever you want...coffee, fruit, cereal, pastry... I am very comfortable pouring my own coffee
Or grabbing my own banana but that is not an option here. You have to ask for everything to be handed across the counter to you. Very inefficient and kinda silly. Becomes a problem when there is more than a couple of people waiting for everything as you have to wait for everyone to decide what the want and for the girl behind the counter to get it. Again wondering why they are making this so hard! Overall, this place reminded me of an older roadside motel. While the OF location is nice, we have enjoyed much better elsewhere and will return to those places next time.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank strawberryblonde123
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2011

It is unfortunate that this guest had a poor experience with our night manager. They arrived while the night manager was experiencing very severe health issues for which she is now hospitalized. Under normal circumstances the night manager is more than happy and capable to assist our guests locate a room or find a parking spot. Im not certain which room this guest stayed in, but the check in area is on the 4th level so their room was up one level.

While, like this guest, all of our guests are perfectly capable of pouring coffee and collecting the complementary continental breakfast in the morning, the Health Code requires that a staff member hand the food out, and that it is aseptically wrapped. The woman who staffs the breakfast is very friendly and processes all requests as quickly as possible.

We are looking into upgrading our kitchen and food license to offer a full service breakfast and may have it implemented by Summer 2012. But, for now, we offer a free continental breakfast to get started, and for those looking for something more substantial, there are several restaurants to choose from.

The Laguna Riviera is a unique boutique hotel with 41 different rooms averaging over 415 square feet. The rooms underwent a major remodel in 2009 and we have many happy guests return repeatedly. All of the views and rooms are clearly described on our website and recent pictures are available for many of them. The reservations staff is available to answer all questions and clearly explain every rooms location, view and amenities.

We hope this guest choses to stay with us again and can assure them that checking in and finding their room will be far less complicated.

Happy Travels,

Reviewed 4 September 2011

We had originally planned to stay 3 nites but ended up staying only for one due to the smell in our room.

To their credit, they moved us to another roon, albeit much smaller, but it was already late evening and they did not seemed interested in refunding us so we stayed for one nite.

We did love the sound of the waves and the views of the ocean. And we were able to go to the Sawdust Arts Festival, which we really enjoyed.

• Stayed: August 2011
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2011

Thank you for the compliment regarding the properties location.

I have discussed this review with the staff and have, thus far, found nobody who recalls a request for a refund instead of a move to another room so I am at a loss to give a complete response. If this reviewer would be so kind as to contact me I will be more than happy to investigate further.

Being on the ocean there are occasions when we have extreme low tides that can raise a more significant presence of the scent of the kelp, salt water and coastal area. Rooms closest to the ocean are sometime affected by this and, while it bothers some guests, others are happy with this "coastal experience" .

Being summer, I am glad we had a room to move to as we are generally sold out. If a guest checks in and does not like a room our policy is to refund the deposit as long as the room has not been used to the point that housekeeping would need to service it.

I look forward to this guests next stay with us and encourage you to contact me if you have any questions or wish to discuss this stay further.

Happy Travels,

Reviewed 29 August 2011

We stayed here for four days in August, two adults and two kids in room 516. If anything, the room was undersold with views of sea, crashing waves and mountains. The room was well equipped and the hotel fun and quirky. The service was exemplary, the room was clean and we loved Laguna. This was our first trip to California and we stayed in 9 hotels in our three weeks of adventure around the county. This was the best of all and we want to come back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Tracey R
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2011

Thank you for the fine review. It is such a pleasure to hear from satisfied guests and know we are delivering on our goals of providing an experience to remember. We will share this with the staff.

Thanks again &
Happy travels,

Kort Pearson

Reviewed 26 July 2011

After been driving a lot each day, we really enjoyed that we could park the car and then walk everywhere we wanted to go. Beach is just next door, restaurants 5-10 minutes walk away, supermarket nearly just across the street. We enjoyed this place a lot, it was nearly like being home. It was possible to make a bbq in the evening with oceanview. It was a very quiet place the only noice we had was from the street when we opened the window, but I'm sure if you get a room with view towards the sea you only hear the ocean.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with balcony or ocean view .
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank PMKS
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2011

Thank you for the kind review. I know when traveling from another country you are never sure what to expect. I am glad that the Laguna Riviera helped make your trip to the US from Denmark an enjoyable and memorable one.

Mange tak and happy travels,

Reviewed 19 July 2011

This place is in a great location, and provides everything you need for a day at the beach - beach towels, chairs, etc. It was after we returned from the beeach and needed some extra bath towels that the service went down hill. It took quite a bit of effort on my part to get more towels. Other than that - the stay was nice, rooms were clean and kitchenette was stocked.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank WhenCanWeLeave
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2011

Thank you for the positive review about our location, and complimentary beach towels, umbrellas and chairs. We also proudly provide complimentary parking, wireless high-speed internet, and continental breakfast each morning.

Thank you for complimenting our clean and well stocked rooms. You sound like you had an enjoyable time staying with us durring your July vacation which is also the busiest month of Summer break.

It is unfortunate that our temporary shortfall to provide extra towels in a timely fashion had such a significant impact on your experience. We strive to over deliver and make sure every guests needs are met in a timely fashion. Even though we purchase additional inventory in anticipation of the seasons demands, during heavy beach and pool use we can, on occasion, have a small lag between towels being turned in, and having them washed, dried, folded and put back into service. This is further compounded when towels are left at the beach or when new ones are requested and the old ones are not returned.

We are glad you enjoyed yourself, enjoyed the fantastic views and location and had a great nights sleep. When you next visit, please feel free to contact me in advance and I'll make sure the crew stocks your room with a set of extra towels so you do not run out.

While we regret we may have come up a towel short for this guest, rest assured that it is our goal to make sure all our guests have a great vacation experience while staying and vacationing at the Laguna Riviera.

Reviewed 22 June 2011

We recently visited Laguna Beach for the 4th or 5th time in the last ten years and on the advise of a friend chose the Riviera for this trip. They have won us over. We will be staying with the Riviera each time we visit Laguna. The staff was fun and friendly and the location and property were exactly what we look for, a combination of local flavor and guilty comforts.

The Riviera is what can be referred to as a hidden gem. From the street it looks classic and as I understand it, it was built in the late 40's. This older building covered with colorful murals (that we watched being touched up by the artist who creates and maintains them) these murals make it a rather fancifulness place but lend to the rich artistic ambiance that we enjoy and look for on our regular treks to Laguna Beach. The real surprise that made my wife jump for joy was the view once we passed to the ocean side terrace and even more the well appointed rooms. We had a surf view room with a semi private deck that had the fit and finish of a 4 star hotel and was really more than we had anticipated so we were pleasantly surprised.

The things to know are the parking while free is tight, but it is free. I have stayed just down the street and paid $20 a night just to self park, while paying more for a room that doesn't even come close to what we experienced at the Riviera. There is a morning snack that is also free. There is no restaurant on-site but there are a plethora of choices from sushi to tacos to pizza to fine dining all around the hotel. I noticed that a Katsuya is being opened right across the street by the same people who own the very famous and popular Katsuya you see the celebrities coming out of on the show TMZ.

In closing we are now fans of the Laguna Riviera and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank pilotvic
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2011

Thank you so much for the fine review and taking the time to share your experience. I will print a copy for the staff. We all appreciate the positive feedback. Thanks again.