“3 days at the beach”

Laguna Riviera Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My husband and I spent two nights here April 6th and 7th to celebrate a birthday. We attempted to check in at 3:45 pm and unfortunately the room was not ready, we were told to come back in a half hour, we returned at 4:30. We checked in and went to the room and the maid was still working there. We had to wait for her to finish hanging the shower curtain, put towels in etc.....I was a bit dissapointed that the room was still not ready, by this time it was 4:45.
We were in room 409, it was ok.....when they say you cant see the beach or surf they are right!! I was really disappointed with the view as we paid for the ocean front room, so make sure if this is what you want, book a room where you can see the surf.
The hotel is older but in good condition, clean, the room was comfortable.
The biggest problem I had was with the breakfast that was included in the room price. You couldn't just help yourself, everything was behind the counter and you needed to ask for everything individually and the lady did not speak english well at all. The breakfast was very limited in selection and really is a why bother.
The location was great, lots of steps to the beach but I did not mind that.

Room Tip: ask for a room where you can see the surf.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Im glad you liked your room, the location and acknowledge that our description of the views is accurate. An ocean view room such as yours in one in which you will see the open ocean, sunsets and on a clear day Catalina Island. A surf view room is where you will see all of that plus the crashing waves and beach from your room and or balcony.

My apologies that your room was not ready on time. This is a situation that has been remedied. We moved to a new service the beginning of April and they were just getting up to speed and now have everything timed out and under control to ensure rooms are ready by check in.

The continental breakfast service is dictated by the health department. We are not allowed to have guests come behind the counter and serve themselves. It would certainly make it easier if we could set everything out and do a self service program. Maybe that will be the case someday.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Since my last visit there, Laguna Riviera has made quite a few upgrades. The Beach Bungalow patio and a remodel of the beach walk is quite impressive. Some of the rooms now have new balconies as well. I have always liked this family-run resort and will continue to go back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for the nice review and I am glad you appreciate all of the upgrades we have been implementing. It has been a lot of work but all of it worth it.

Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I would give this place zero stars if I could. I have never in my life seen such horrible front desk service at any hotel, let alone a pricey beach resort.

I was here as an invited speaker for UC Irvine. I was told the university would be billed directly. The front desk clerk, a young dark-haired woman wearing a silver headband, looked up my name and snarled--and I mean SNARLED--that they would need payment to check me in. My host came to the front desk, and she told him that her boss said they needed to pay for the room in advance. He said no, he'd put up visiting speakers and job candidates there many times and had always been able to pay afterwards with a department invoice. His assistant had confirmed this with the hotel that morning. Eventually it got resolved, but it took the better part of half an hour.

This wasn't even the worst thing. While they were dealing with me, two teenage boys came in. They were wearing swim trunks and had been to the beach or pool. Their family had moved rooms that afternoon, so they wanted the new key. The same charming clerk said they couldn't have a key unless an adult came in and signed for the new room. They explained that their dad had just injured himself on the beach and was headed to the hospital with their mom. She shrugged and said they'd just have to wait until their parents came back. Let me review: Dad headed to the hospital. Family ALREADY STAYING THERE--just moving rooms. Kids in swim trunks, no other clothes. And she's telling them they'll have to wait HOURS to get into their room.

Any decent human being and establishment would not only have let those kids have a key, but they might have, I don't know, asked if the family needed any help. Or at least expressed sympathy or concern. (A few minutes later the mom came in and signed the forms for the keys. But she had to interrupt the clerk--still dealing with me--and say "My husband is going to the hospital in an ambulance right now. Could I sign the form?" Still--not a shred of interest or concern. But they did get the room keys.)

My host from UCI says he'll never use this place again and will tell his colleagues. So will I. It was absolutely horrendous. They should be ashamed of themselves--cold, rude, uncaring.

Oh--there's also no air conditioning in these rooms. It was hot and stuffy and the other guests were too noisy to keep the doors open all night. No counter space in the bathroom, mediocre breakfast, and the breakfast attendant barely spoke English. It was an ordeal even getting cereal, OJ, and coffee.

Room Tip: Don't even bother staying here unless you get an oceanview. I've stayed in the basement/inte...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank leftydana

I actually walked in while this guest was trying to check in. Unfortunately they did not have a deposit on the reservation and refused to provide a credit card upon arrival to secure the room. We must have a form of payment and ID on file to check anyone in.

Once I intervened this guest agreed to provide a card to secure the room. Ultimately they contacted their sponsor who should have already arranged payment, but had not, and the entire payment issue was resolved. I do understand and saw that this guest was agitated and embarrassed by the incident being there with colleagues and not having had everything properly planned for in advance of their arrival.

While I appreciate the situation we simply can not check anyone in without securing payment first.

Many rooms but not all have air conditioning and this is clearly called out on our website and when booking reservations. As for the kids asking for keys, that was an unfortunate situation and upon final review they were at the hotel with their parents. Unfortunately we have local kids come to the desk on a regular basis with all kinds of stories to secure room keys to allow them access to the swimming pool. So you can appreciate we cannot simply hand out room keys to every child who asks without any identification.

The law also requires that unless we personally know someone we must verify the guests identiy before issuing replacement room keys. This is for the safety and security of our guests.

In final review I wish this guest had a more pleasant stay and can assure all readers that checking in is quite smooth when payment and ID are not an issue.

Happy travel,

Reviewed 4 April 2014

For 23 years, coming to the Laguna Riviera has offered us a respite from stress and exhaustion of daily living. We come here for rest, relaxation, and renewal-- and never leave disappointed!!
It may not offer the glitzy luxury many seek, but here-- surrounded by flowers and ocean--one can find peace, welcome, and comfort. It is the "pearl of great price".

Room Tip: Rooms on the highway side are a bit noisy. Most rooms are quiet and have an ocean view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for the wonderful and serene review.

It is an honor that our family and beach side hotel have been able to provide you with 23 years of service. We pride ourselves on delivering a relaxing authentic Laguna Beach experience sharing our beach lifestyle making everyone comfortable. We don't even try, nor want to be, a buttoned up 5 star property where you have to worry about what you are wearing just to stop by the office for some coffee in the morning. With that said we are constantly striving to be better and offer more at the best ocean front prices in town.

Thanks again and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

We just returned from 3 days at the Laguna Riviera. Our visit started out poorly, but the hotel went out of their way to make us happy. We had four of us staying (two adults with our two grown children), and I had carefully picked room 403 to face the ocean and accommodate all of us. When we arrived, we were told they had moved us to 401. When I asked why the move, the person at the desk told me it was an upgrade, and that we would also be getting a discount. After viewing the room, it was clear that it was not an upgrade -- it was a smaller room with a pull out sofa rather than a murphy bed. I went back to the front desk and let them know I was not happy with the change.

He said he would see what he could do as it was clear they had a problem. The eventual solution was that we would stay in the smaller room for one night, and then be moved to the beach bungalow for the next two nights. This was a really nice surprise, and went beyond our expectations as the beach bungalow is a beautiful 3 bedroom beach house with two fireplaces, two bathrooms, and two decks immediately overlooking the ocean.

Our stay in room 401 was fine, but it definitely would be much better for two people as we were cramped with four. The dining table is crowded for four, and the pull out sofa was very uncomfortable. The public decks and patios were great, and the path to the beach is in great condition paved with patio blocks. However, it is a pretty long and steep walk up if you have any difficult walking. The hotel provided beach chairs and towels at no charge. They also had free umbrellas (which we did not use) and boogie boards available for a fee.

The beach house is a fabulous property that would easily accommodate two families. We enjoyed drinking our coffee on the side deck and eating dinner on the large patio table on the large deck. You could walk from the deck down a short flight of stairs to the beach.

The beach outside the hotel is super nice, no rocks, we had surfers to watch every day and saw dolphins pass by. We walked both north and south of the hotel and felt like we had the best spot on the beach.

The breakfast was about what we expected -- bananas, oranges, packaged muffins, oatmeal and cold cereal.

The only thing that is a negative on the hotel is the location of the pool. Placed between the parking lot and the PCH, it is very unappealing. We did not use it at all.

It was a short walk to many restaurants. We enjoyed the sushi restaurant across the street and the natural food stand around the corner. We also were able to walk to several places that offered surfing rentals and lessons.

Overall, I would recommend the Riviera Laguna. I loved the whole 50's vibe with the painted murals on the walls. I would definitely recommend the ocean or surf rooms. Not sure that I would have enjoyed staying in one of the interior rooms.

Room Tip: Choose surf or ocean rooms
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Thank you for the review and such an appropriate title. We are definitely on one of the best beaches in town.

It is unfortunate that the room requested was not available upon check in, but I am glad you found the concessions more than appropriate. Our 1932 beach bungalow is truly an authentic Laguna Beach experience and there is more than enough space for your group of 4. It will comfortably sleep 6 with its' 3 bedrooms and the views are truly amazing.

Your comment about the pool is interesting. I agree, that it would be better positioned by contemporary standards if it overlooked the ocean.

As a bit of history, when the hotel was opened back in 1948 it was a luxury to have a pool so many properties including the Laguna Riviera if they had this luxury would put their pool in a location that allowed passersby to know immediately that feature was available. It was advertising at its' best and worked quite well for its' time.

The indoor sauna, jacuzzi and pool are used frequently all year round and the roof is open most of the time bringing in fresh air and sun. Since we use a salt water system there are no harsh chemicals or chlorine smell to deal with. It is really quite comfortable and relaxing, and while you can't watch the surfers while you relax you can see a parade of exotic cars pass by all day long and the wall and steamed up glass offers sufficient privacy from passersby. Adjacent to the pool is a game room with foos ball, air hockey, and ping pong which the kids enjoy as they bounce between swimming and playing games.

Thanks again and we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

We have been coming to Laguna Riviera about 5 times in last 6 years. We absolutely love this hotel. Since we are traveling from Europe and we are limited on luggages we really do appreciate that hotel provides beach chairs, towels, sun umbrellas and even children beach toys.
The complimentary breakfasts perfectly suits us since we rather prefer bigger lunch in one of the great restaurants that the area offers. For the breakfast you can choose from cereals, sweet pastries, fresh or canned fruit and of course warm or cold drinks.
Since me and our children are not very familiar with the Pacific ocean waves we are really grateful for a pool that is part of this hotel. The pool area includes jacuzzi that can be very relaxing after a busy day.
The location of the hotel is great. It is very close to the Laguna Beach centrum ( 5-10 min walk ), the hotel beach is much more relaxing than the Main Beach which is downtown and the hotel is just across the Ralphs.
The staff of the hotel is very friendly and nothing seems to a problem for them.
I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone who is staying in Laguna Beach since you can fully enjoy Laguna when staying in a great place like this.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Petra015
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review. Repeat business is the highest compliment we can receive and we are honored that you have stayed with us so many times.

The Laguna Riviera has arguably one of the best locations in Laguna Beach and it is clear this has served you well. We are away from the crowds and noise but a short walk puts you in the middle of everything. The beach we sit on is known as St. Ann's and from here and to the south a few blocks is where all the locals enjoys the water and you can relax, swim, and watch the surfers year round.

We hope your trip home was pleasant and look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

This was my mom & I's third stay at the Laguna Riviera & our best yet! We decided to splurge a bit (though the prices here are the best for beach front in Laguna!) and booked room 101. It was well worth the extra money! The room was very large, the view was amazing, and it was a quick walk down to the beach. At one point we needed maintenance and they were there right away & fixed our problem. We loved spending the day out on the private deck reading our books and enjoying the view! We could not have asked for anything better & we cannot wait for our next stay!

Room Tip: Room 101 is the best!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Melissa M
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Dear Melissa,

It is always a joy to hear how our guests experience the Laguna Riviera and it is great to know that your return visits just keep getting more memorable.

Room 101 is very large and has an amazing brand new private terraced surf view patio. I am glad you were able to use it to relax, catch up on your reading and enjoy the breathtaking views. This time of year it is common to see dolphins and even migrating whales and 101's deck is the perfect vantage point.

Thanks for the fine review and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Happy travels.