“Charming property, terrific weather, we look forward to returning”

Laguna Riviera Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Ft Meyers, FL.
Reviewed 29 January 2006

Having stayed recently at the Laguna Riviera I can highly recommend it to travelers on a budget, those looking for a great experience, travelers with kids, and or even those just looking for a cool boutique type of property. Don't misunderstand, this is no Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons, but it is right on the beach very well maintained extremely charming and very relaxing. The staff seamed to be made up of locals who knew the town and were always able to suggest something for us to do or a restaurant to try.

We stayed in a ocean front room with a nice private balcony for less than $150 per night. The weather was like summer; however the ocean was to cold for us to swim. January is winter in Southern California, being from Florida we are spoiled with year round warm water. An unusual feature is in addition to the standard pool and hot tub (in this case indoors) they also have a hot dry/steam sauna. Very relaxing after a day of hiking about the town and the various beaches and coves. There is no restaurant on the property, but there are many places to eat within an easy walk including a 5 star across the street. We never went, but I understand that it is very good.

We have visited Laguna now 3 times in the last 4 years and have stayed at 3 different hotels. After our experience at the Riviera it will be our first choice when we return to the area.

• Stayed: January 2006
54  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 14 October 2005

In July of this year my girls 14 and 16 stayed the Laguana Riveria it was a clean hotel. Being on a budget this hotel was perfect for the 3 of us. I liked that it was located on the beach but getting up and down from the beach was not an easy task. Very steep walkway, but I found the shrubs and flowers on the walkway-- breathtakingly Beautiful !! The towels were quite thin and too few of them being that we were on and off the beach several times a day. I did not find the staff to be overly anixous to assist with questions but they were corridal. The hotel was within walking distance of shops,grocery stores and restaurants so the rental car was parked most of the time. All and all I would rate this hotel as average--and I would stay there again... due to the location and the cost of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2005
56  Thank PVHEREWECOME
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 5 October 2005

We stayed two nights at the Laguna Riviera. I knew that it had received high marks by other guest but I was very pleased by first impressions of the property. It's a older Hotel but everything, interior/exterior/retaining walls all were freshly painted. Our two rooms were well equipped, clean and comfortable. I don't think you could be any closer to the surf. Falling to sleep with the crashing waves in the background was a treat. Service was very good. The staff was polite and the complimentry breakfest, while somewhat limited, was still tasty and filling. Both of our rooms were surf view so I can't provide conditions on the ocean view or street front rooms. The only con was a smallish parking lot but wasn't a real problem since all the cities attractions are within walking distance. We never used our rental car during the stay. Unlike other previous reviews, we were able to check in early a full four hours before the established 4pm minimum check in. A walking path to the beach is lined with beautiful flowers and other native plants. We definitely would stay again at this resort and would recommend it to anyone

• Stayed: October 2005
55  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 October 2005

We stayed at the Laguna Riviera for a weekend. The motel is as described--sort of a 50's style, with updated features (cable TV, wireless internet, for example.) We had one of the smallest, cheapest rooms, which was quite adequate for our family of 3. It was very clean but the walls are showing their age (rot along a bathtub base). We really liked the murals on the exterior walls and the sea wall down by the beach.
You have to walk down a brick walkway to get to the beach, which is fair sized, but not real big. It's OK for boogie boarding/surfing, but not a great place for body surfing --there are large stones on the bottom of the ocean which hurt your feet. The best beach is about 6 blocks north (Main Beach) which is larger, has 4 beach volleyball courts (available every time we wanted to play), a basketball court, and much better body-surfing.
Another wonderful thing the motel offered was free beach towels, beach chairs, and umbrellas. There were also sand buckets/shovels and I think they may even have boogie boards available, but we didn't check that out.
The Continental Breakfast was pretty grim. Packaged danish and cold cereal, and really awful orange juice. My advice is to skip the breakfast and walk 2 blocks north to The Orange Inn which had great coffee, fresh squeezed OJ, and the best cheese danish we've ever had.
The town of Laguna Beach was delightful. We walked into town a few times a day (to eat, shop, or go to the Main Beach). The walk is fine if you're in good shape--there are hills and lots of traffic lights to wait for. We had great meals in town (beware--it's very expensive there. $4 for an ice cream cone, $4.62 for a malt!) and the shopping was fun and diverse. We did really enjoy our stay in Laguna.

• Stayed: October 2005
50  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
D.C.
Reviewed 17 September 2005

Our family had a very special time staying at this property. It is quaint, well maintained and directly on the shore. The rates, according to our research, are certainly better than the other locations we considered. The kids had the time of their lives playing in the surf and swimming while the wife and I enjoyed the sun, shops, galleries and exhibitions in town. Being peak season the property was sold out every day we were there and parking was very tight but somehow the desk staff was always able to find something for us in one of their three parking areas.

Our daughter was particularly delighted when she met a cast member of the MTV show “Laguna Beach” at a shop right next door. We felt very comfortable with the accommodations and the staff of the Riviera. I was struck by how many people we met who have been making the Riviera their annual destination for years. I’d describe it best as a very unique, warm destination that is reminiscent of an earlier and simpler time. Think Ozzie and Harriet visit the beach… We are planning another summer vacation to include the California coast and will include the Riviera as one of our stops.

• Stayed: August 2005
49  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 August 2005

Our first visit to the Riveria was very nice. We enjoyed our room (509) with a side ocean view and got a kick out of the 1950's era feel of the motel. We selected a different room and made reservations to return to the motel a few weeks later for another visit.....what a mistake that was, we should have quit with our good memories! For our second visit we arrived a little before 2pm and told the desk girl we were a little early for check in but would sit and enjoy the sun in the lawn area. She told us that our room would be ready in a few minutes anyway. I returned to see about checking in after 4 and was told the room was not ready yet. When I mentioned that it was after the check in time she told me "Check in time is 4 or later" so basically the room could be ready at 4 "or later" at the motels discretion. I told her that by her logic I could show up at 9pm and the room might still not be ready. She was too busy arranging pool hotels to talk to me anymore so my family returned to the beach until after 6 pm and then when we returned to the office for a third time....you guessed it....our room was STILL not ready!! Thankfully there was a different desk clerk to talk with but it was only AFTER I mentioned cancelling the reservation that they offered to change us to a different room. Turns out the first room had major plumbing problems. Nobody told us this, we saw the repair truck and the guys working in the room. They told us they were really busy and I should be more understanding. What a disaster, we finally got into a room after waiting for over 4 hours. I emailed the manager after arriving home and told him how disappointed we were and he promptly wrote back and offered his apology and said he would look into what happened and get back with me but I never heard from him again. We now stay at a different hotel when visiting the area and would NEVER recoomend the Riveria after being treated so poorly by the office staff. We understand that problems arise but that is no reason to treat your paying customer so rudely.

• Stayed: July 2004
17  Thank Ace624
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed 21 August 2005

What a great place. We stayed for just over a week, 10 days to be exact and loved every one of them. Laguna is a place that, after you leave, you just want to go back. We have been vacationing on and off in Laguna Beach since the early 80s. The town is easy going with creativity and a casual air about it and the Riviera mimics that feeling. It's been in Laguna so long that it feels like part of the Laguna experience. We stayed in a comfortable surprisingly large Ocean View room on the top floor. In the morning we would pick up our coffee, and breakfast snacks in the office, take them back to the room and watch the morning waves roll in from our deck.

The room was clean and comfortable not real modern, but not terribly dated either. You do see some wear and tear from being on the ocean, but having visited Laguna many times over the years that’s what you find with most established ocean front properties. In a way it adds to the beach experience. The staff was attentive and helpful. The property appears to have had a recent facelift, and there are hand painted murals everywhere. Our daughter was particularly fond of a gecko she found painted on one of the pathways. Just for a moment she thought it was real and then broke out laughing when she discovered it wasn’t.

They are located right on the beach and have towels, beach chairs, umbrellas and even body boards available to use. The downtown area is a 5-10 minute stroll to the North and restaurants are everywhere. There must be 15 or 20 within a 10 minute walk. The weather was great save for a couple of overcast days during which we explored the art exhibits and spent some time in the hotel pool area.

We love Laguna and plan on staying at the Riviera next time we vacation there. After visiting so many times, I just wish we had discovered the Riviera sooner. Based on my personal experience it's a bargain for the location, room size, and price. I gave if 5 stars because it met all of our expectations and offers a real value. We totally loved it. It is superior to the other properties we have stayed at in LB but it's not 5 stars like the Ritz Carlton or the Montage, I cant even afford the entry level $850 a night to try and compare them, but for our needs the Riviera Beach Resort is a perfect 5 stars.

• Stayed: July 2005