“One of my favorites!”

and 1 more site!
Laguna Riviera Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed 30 July 2006

I have stayed at the Laguna Rivera many many times throughout my life. I have always found it to be an amazing place to stay. It is directly above the beach with a private walking path to get down, it's in a great location, close to everything Laguna and it's gorgeous. The murals on the walls provide for a great atmosphere and the rooms are beautiful. This particular time we went for my mother's 50th birthday party and the large decks on the ocean view rooms provided a great entertainment space for my large irish family after her party. This place even has barbeques you can use. There is a great pool and jacuzzi and game room that I used to always frequent when I was a lot younger. The breakfast's are great, the coffee is good, and the atmosphere is genuine. This is a favorite place for my family and myself to go to and we have loved every single time we have stayed. I would reccomend it to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
39  Thank BeachWahine

A TripAdvisor Member
Columbia, SC
Reviewed 12 July 2006

After studying all of the various reviews for Laguna Hotels we chose and recently stayed at the Riviera so I would like to offer my thoughts. I loved the hotel for all kinds of reasons and will try and explain using several key points. Since the reviews here are all over the place this may be useful to others like me when trying to consider all of the available options and desciding what is and is not important for your situation.

1) Location is arguably the best in the entire town. It’s not too close or too far away from downtown. It’s close enough to walk to within a few minutes by beach or sidewalk. The hotel is right on the beach a market is down the street and food service and surf shops are everywhere.

2) Pricing is also the best I found in town when the location is taken into consideration. All other on the beach properties we checked had higher rates. The places with lower rates had poor locations. Since we plan to return to Laguna next year we took a day to check out all of our options and plan to stay again at this hotel.

3) Food service. Well they don’t have a restaurant but do provide a simple and convenient continental breakfast at no charge. Nothing fancy but it worked when we did not want to walk down the block. Restaurants abound in Laguna so this was not an issue for my family but something you need to be aware of since there is no room service or on-site restaurant. We kept food and beverages from the grocery store next door in the fridge for snacking.

4) Staff. Everyone I spoke with was helpful and friendly. The recommendations for where to eat and what to do were very helpful. They offered complementary beach chairs, umbrellas and beach towels. I believe they had body boards as well.

5) Parking. Well unfortunately there is no valet and parking is tight, but on the bright side there is no additional charge to park. Parking is in 2 different areas so you may be forced to loop the block to find a spot. We only took the car out twice during our week long stay.

6) The beach. Arguably one of the best in town. The lifeguard told me it’s one of 2 where surfing is allowed in the summer. The other one is south a couple of blocks. This was great for us as we enjoyed watching the surfers and skimboarders, yet were able to swim safely because the surfers have a special area they are restricted to. We also saw dolphins right off shore which was a real surprise.

7) The Rooms. They are clean and comfortable but not luxurious. Ours had a wonderful view but no A/C. The lack of A/C was only an issue once in a while foretunately the ocean breeze helped a lot. If A/C is important to you make sure and ask because they do tell you if your room has it but I don’t recall being told mine did not. We did discover their website has room descriptions that show which units have A/C and which don’t. We asked for an extra fan and had it in minutes.

8) Public areas. Are all very nice the front patio BBQ area is where we spent much of our evening time. We found the guests to be friendly and enjoyable to talk with. The pool, hot tub & sauna were all clean and large.

9) The Town. Laguna is amazing if we could afford it I would love to live there, but for now and probably forever we will only be able to visit. The stores are unique, the beaches are beautiful, the locals for the most part are friendly the restaurants are excellent and can be expensive. The only issue is the traffic but that’s a small price to pay for this piece of paradise.

Conclusion: When I consider all of the pros and cons such as location, price, amenities, service, and so on I think this is the sweet spot in the market. If the prices were 2 to 3 times higher they would need a superior level of service, the rooms would need updated materials and fixtures, deluxe beds & linens, high end bath products, A/C in every room, and someone would have to be parking my car. But, for us, a family looking for an affordable vacation in paradise we found the Riviera to be perfect.

Alice R.

• Stayed: June 2006
57  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Kansas City
Reviewed 15 June 2006

The rooms were clean, the best location in the middle of everything that matters, the beach was clean.

I had the best time of my life in Laguna and I give the hotel 100% credit for making it a memorable visit ....

thanks for everything

43  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 June 2006

The best part of this motel is its location.....just a short walk to the beach but the office staff kills it. They were very rude when asked even a simple question. The breakfast in the lobby is a joke, small boxes of cereal, day old danish and smelly fruit. If you just want a place close to the beach and the center of town then go ahead but don't expect any type of good service from the staff. I'd rather pay a little more next time and stay in a nicer place. There are many motels in Laguna so do yourself a favor and check around a little before you pick this one as a last resort. Oh and the best part, our room had major plumbing problems. Ah, good times, not.

8  Thank Ace4294
Reviewed 30 April 2006

I stayed at the Laguna Riviera with my family and we rented the beach bungalow between us making it very affordable.

It was the most fantastic location, we looked out of the living room window directly at the ocean and all it encompassed, surfers, dolphins, sea lions and pelicans and great sun sets. The beach was just one flight of stairs away.

The bungalow was extreemely well equiped with a full kitchen and enough china to serve 12 people it was also furnished to a high standard and the beds were very comfortable.

There was not only a washer and dryer but the detergent and softner was also provided and as we had been travelling a couple of weeks before we arrived here this was very usefull.

Local Supermarket was within walking distance so it was easy to self cater, (join their rewards club and save a few bucks) there were also a few restaurtants and fast food outlets within walking distance and many more just a short drive away.

Ideal location for visiting LA and San Diego but beware of the trafic jams on the Interstates and give youself pleanty of time to reach these cities.

I would definately stay here again.

48  Thank clares1964
Reviewed 27 April 2006

I think I've been waiting a year to write this! My husband and I had gone to this hotel April 29, 2005. It had come highly recommended. We had been going thru some extremely difficult times with family illness, and had booked the hotel months previous. We were SO looking forward to getting there!

That was part of our problem, our flight from Denver arrived in the morning...we thought, no big deal, we'll see about check in, knowing we probably COULDN"T before afternoon. On arrival, it appeared that we were intruding on the personnel's time...we were treated like we shouldn't have been there. I remember thinking, we're PAYING for this, and we're being treated terribly. The staff, including the manager on duty acted like we were out of place, and not wanted...of course, we were early...but, all we asked is if we could check in. We're grown adults, aware that it probably wouldn't work out. I will never never pay a cent to go there, and to be honest, if offered a free room, I wouldn't walk into that place again. It was one of the most disappointing stays in Laguna...but, thankfully, we only had to do it once! :) It will never happen again!

• Stayed: April 2005
9  Thank Debimomof3
Reviewed 25 April 2006

This is the second time we stayed at the Laguna Riviera. This time, we were in Room 303 and then moved to Room 201. What a wonderful place. The staff is terrific, but not intrusive. The location is spectacular. Rooms are mediium sized, and a little funky but nice. The rooms we were in had a small fridge, microwave, sink and coffee maker. And then there's the view....INCREDIBLE! This is not the place for you if you want room service or a gym on site. This is where you go if you truly want to relax and take in the ocean and just be. It's a short walk to all the shopping in Laguna Beach, and right on the PCH. We love it there, and can't wait to go back.

50  Thank Molly036