“Restful ocean side gem of Laguna”

Laguna Riviera Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Renton
“Restful ocean side gem of Laguna”
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Laguna Riviera continues to be the perfect place to enjoy R&R and escape from cold Seattle. I returned December 26 - January 1 to share a very comfortable suite with my parents. Room 401 gave us ample room with lovely kitchen (with table seating 4), bathroom, private bedroom for my folks and pull out couch for me. We enjoyed the option to eat in the room or on the massive deck overlooking the beach. The location gave us the best of all worlds, room side deck for watching surfers, pelicans and dolphins for my parents and beach access for me to walk every morning and afternoon. Our ritual was to regroup for a gorgeous sunset each evening. This time of year Catalina island is silhouetted brilliantly at sunset.

This room and several others are ideal for those with limited mobility. Only a short distance from the parking lot with no stairs and you have full view of the ocean. I really like the fact that Riviera offers free onsite parking.

Not to be missed is the salt water pool. I enjoyed swimming in the evenings and appreciated that it was open for use until 11.

The roses, hibiscus and other flowering plants add to the cheerful ambiance of the Riviera. The landscaped terraces buzzed with humming birds, a treat especially for my Mom. Although there were plenty of guests enjoying their own decks, many with kids, noise level was never a distraction from the peaceful
sounds of ocean or birdlife.

We started every day off with the continental breakfast, 8:30 kickoff was ideal, since we were on vacation. The chocolate chip muffins are my favorite, so fresh they melt in your mouth. There are plenty of options, my folks like the cheese Danish with a cup of tasty peaches. We love the opportunity to bring it back to enjoy from our deck. Gave us a boost for the day without hassle of leaving resort. I think its a very generous perk considering what simply a piece of fruit costs in the market.

This remains a gem and I highly recommend for anyone who wants a charming, restful California beach getaway.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank PattiWall
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, 30 January 2011
Thank you for this nice and well written review. We always enjoy hearing from our many satisfied guests as they share their experience with other travelers. We strive to constantly improve, listen to all comments, and deliver a great vacation experience for all who choose to stay with us.

Everyone at the Laguna Riviera takes pride in their job. I share all reviews with the staff and this one will put a smile on their faces.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
California
Reviewed 2 January 2011

The good: It is on the beach with beach access; walkable to downtown area
The bad: So called “free” internet access was about 15 minutes in the evening (I could not get back on). When I phoned the front desk the comment was that the computer in the office was working, so it had to be my computer! I was given a room on the first floor with 2 sides facing the parking lot. I endured hard footsteps over my head past midnight due to the room above and the walkway right over my room, a car blaring a radio for over 20 minutes just outside my window past midnight, and awakened by footsteps on the walkway above my head and Spanish workers yelling to each other in the parking lot (for over 5 minutes). The blanket had multiple holes.
Nothing from the “Free” breakfast due to begin at 8:30 am; I returned about 20 minutes later to check out and see if “breakfast” was now ready. I could not check out because the front desk person was serving while the woman responsible to prepare the food & serve was talking on her cell phone in the office behind the desk. The young man working at the front desk was really great trying to help the customers by serving the pre-packaged muffins, pre-packaged Danish, pre-packaged fruit cups (the stuff I find at 7-11 Stores). When I finally asked to check out he called to the woman to come and do her job so that he could then check me out.
And for this is what they charge $150.00 a night!!!!! Only the beachfront location makes it worth a bit more, but not the amount charged!!! True lack of respect by employees for those wanting to sleep past 8:00 am on a weekend day.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank smilingcarolyn
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 January 2011
I am sorry that this guest had a less than perfect stay. I have reviewed the registration records and she stayed one night on New Years Eve which can be loud just about anywhere. I apologize if the guests above were a little too enthusiastic. We do have 24 hour guest services and one call to us would have put those ringing in the New Year on notice that they need to settle down.

We take guest satisfaction very seriously and would have done what was needed to make this guest comfortable even if it meant upgrading her to a superior room. The room she occupied, while it can still see the ocean, is our second to least expensive. The rate this guest paid was only $124.20 for New Years Eve on the ocean in Laguna Beach.

I will be personally inspecting this room when the current guest checks out. We use comforters on most beds and if blankets or any linens are found with even a single hole they are donated to a local charity that helps the homeless and less fortunate.

While we did have internet outages during the record setting storms just after Christmas, a check of the logs shows that it was online and operating fine over New Years. We do have several neighbors and a local service that operate secure WiFi connections and if you do not select the complimentary service that we provide, and configure your computer properly, you will not get a good connection.

During New Years we show peak usage at 2.4 MB/sec which leaves a lot of room for more users and confirms the complementary system was operational. I apologize that this guest had difficulty connecting to it. We do try to help with guests computer configuration issues when there is a knowledgable staff member available, however it is not part of our official services offering and not all staff member are comfortable working on guests personal computers.

Contrary to the insinuation, while the complementary pastries are aseptically sealed and packaged in compliance with the local health code requirements they are not the sort mass produced and found at 7-11. They are delivered fresh every couple of days directly from the bakery. The complimentary continental breakfast is free for those looking for a quick snack. It consists of coffee, teas, a variety of juices, rolls, muffins, hot/cold cereals, and fruit both fresh and pre-packed. For those looking for something more substantial a single phone call will have it delivered to your door within 15 minutes or a 30 second walk North or South will have you reading a menu with a large variety of choices.

The Laguna Riviera provides a great value, location and exceptional pricing for one of the best beach front locations in town. We do not charge extra for parking, internet, morning snacks, or beach chairs and umbrellas. We strive to make all of our guests feel comfortable and at home. Regrettably we failed with this solo traveller during her New Years Eve stay, but I believe that had there been some communication of needs, we would have over delivered. The many reviews from highly satisfied travelers speak for themselves and are truly indicative of the experiences of the vast majority of both our new and our long time repeat guests.
University Place, Washington
Reviewed 22 December 2010

We stayed in room 306 for a week in December of 2010. For an extended stay, the maid service was very important to us and we were not disappointed. The room and hotel grounds were well kept and very clean. The room was spacious and well furnished with a beautiful view. Every room is different, so be sure to compare them on the hotel's web site. After seeing the sterile environment of the resorts down the beach, we were glad to have chosen a hotel with its own unique character.
The only negative is the so-so continental breakfast which is not served until 8:30 a.m. Normally too late for us. However, I was forewarned of this by the other reviews and wasn't concerned because the location is within walking distance to several restaurants and shops and there is a supermarket with deli one block away.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mikeandlindaSeattle
Thank you for this wonderful and accurate review. The Riviera is the only hotel left in Laguna Beach that has never changed hands or been sold to a big corporation. We pride ourselves on delivering the true Laguna Experience and part of that is providing a variety of room formats each comfortably appointed and unique.

We have recently partnered with GoKos Cafe down the street to provide daytime room service. Their expansive breakfast & lunch menu is now available in every room. Dial the extension to have healthy tasty food delivered promptly to your room.

We are also in the planning stages of reworking our lobby so we will be able to provide a much more significant breakfast ourselves.

We look forward to your next visit.

Celebration, Florida
Reviewed 19 December 2010

The hotel doesn't look like much from the street and we never had a chance to check out the pool or amenities but we loved the 3 bedroom beach bungalow. I had a business trip to Anaheim and my grown kids suggested a holiday trip for Christmas. We love Laguna Beach but could not afford the high prices of Surf and Sand or some of the other high end resorts. I found the 3 bedroom beach bungalow on familyvacations.com and felt it was perfect for our needs. I was right. The room, the ocean, the waves and the location were great. The weather wasn't good the first two days with fog until 3:00 every day and then the sunsets at 4:40. The sunsets were amazing and we walked downtown Laguna Beach daily for lunch and dinner. Great time and a great bungalow!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Rodney H
Thank you for the great review of our 3 bedroom beach bungalow on the beach.

It's wonderful you were able to share a memorable time with your family and our authentic 1932 home helped make it special.

This time of year the the sunsets are truly amazing and, just like you and your family, even the locals take time to soak them up. They are always different and never get old.

Torrance, California
Reviewed 14 December 2010

My sixteenth birthday at the Laguna Riviera in their Beach Bungalow was better than I could have imagined. I walked into the beautiful house with the giant window overlooking the beach. I was so happy. My friends and I couldn't wait to go down to the water, so we walked down a few steps and there we were! After swimming and relaxing in the sun we walked back up a couple steps and we were back at the beach house. The master bedroom overlooked the beach and had a fireplace. It's in walking distance of many restaurants so we walked to dinner then came back and went in the jacuzzi and sauna. In the morning when we woke up and sat on the balcony and watched the surfers. It was so awesome. Although we only stayed for one night, it was a night I will not forget. The staff was nice and wanted to make sure we were comfortable and had everything we needed. They even had breakfast for us down in the lobby. Our family is definitely coming back here!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank fisherhouse5
Thank you for the happy and positive review of our 3 bedroom beach bungalow and your time in Laguna.

It's a great place to celebrate a milestone event like your sweet 16 birthday party.

I'm glad the Laguna Riviera could be part of it and helped make a memorable experience for you and your friends. BTW Happy Birthday!!!!!!! ;-)

Ashland, VA
Reviewed 10 December 2010

I spent three nights at the Laguna Riviera, and will definitely be back. It's a delightful example of California quirky, with mural covered outdoor corridors and beach wall. The hotel was right on the beach (accessed down a switchback ramp), and there is free off-street parking.

I had room 516 at the top, and had a wonderful view out to Catalina Island and up the coast. The only downside is that the view also included a balcony and rooftop below, but it wasn't a major issue for me. The room itself was a charming studio apartment with comfortable, stylish furniture and windows that actually opened. The small galley kitchen was nicely stocked with dinnerware necessities.

The location was within easy walking distance of the charming shopping area with many shops, galleries, and restaurants. Laguna Art Museum was a little farther, but still a walkable distance. I could happily spend a week or more here, just enjoying the beach, the town, and the pleasant room.

I recommend the blackened shrimp quesadilla at Taco Loco. It was absolutely delicious, and their guacamole was superb. You can find a small selection of souvenir t-shirts for $5 at the nearby Ralph's, and great food at the Whole Foods that's near the main shopping district. Laguna Beach is a delightful place to visit (horrendous traffic notwithstanding-- no problem since you're within walking distance of most things), and the Laguna Riviera is a great place to experience it from.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank jcwords
Taco Loco blackened shrimp quesadillas are awesome. Good call. Now I know where I'm having lunch tomorrow. That place is excellent and a classic Laguna fixture much like the Laguna Riviera.

Thank you for the positive review and comments. It's reviews like this that keep us motivated to provide the best Laguna Beach experience possible and continue to seek out ways to improve.

We look forward to your next visit.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 17 October 2010

This hotel although rustic it had nice charm and very hospitable staff. The young man that ran the show while we were there was excellent. Very helpfull and friendly. The hotel does show age but many others in the area did as well. There was upgrades done to the bathroom and a newer pull out couch in the living room but this is all we saw for updgrades. The hotel will lend you out complimentary tommy bahamma beach chairs and umbrellas along with toys for the kids. The view from our balcony was gorgeous and especially sunsets. It was nice you came out of your sliding doors where up a step there was patio chairs and tables in front of each room where you could meet and chat with other guests when they were out. Breakfast was more then adequate for a continental. The hotel parking out front was a tight squeeze so we parked around back and worked well for us. The hotel is right on the beach which is a plus but I have to say the ramps going down and down and down to the beach is long and going back up is worse with arms full of beach goods and kids! Beach was lovely but very rough so you needed to be holding on to your children at all times. Our daugther's water shoe came right off her foot and that was the last we saw of it in the waves which caused many tears. Shows that in a instant your child could be lost in the waves too. ( I mention this as too many parents were not watching children and they were wandering around alone some even 2 years old)
WE tried Coytoe Grill for dinner and LOVED IT. Happy hour $8,95 dinner was a hit
TAco Loco was good for lunch as well we dined at House of Big Fish and Cold Beer yes it was loud in there but we all enjoyed our meals and service was good.
We visited the Sea Rescue which was a great family outting to kill some time.

Did not do any shopping as the shops were much farther down from our hotel and we utilized the beach time more.
Would definatly return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family