“Great place”

Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Great place”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Stayed here with a friend for two nights earlier on this month, quiet and very friendly staff who are willing to help. Location is good too, it's a 5/10 minute walk in to the centre and takes away any drink driving issues. Good cafe nearby for breakfast and go to the sandpiper for drinks...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank a h
TidesLagunaBeach, Owner at The Tides Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
We are so glad you had fun for 2 entire days in Laguna Beach. Please check out our birthday special and come back for 2 more glorious days.
Thanks so much--your thoughts are very appreciated.
Linda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

The name is misleading. It is not an inn...it's an old motel. When we pulled in I wanted to leave but couldn't as we had pre-booked. I can't believe none of the reviews mentioned this motel is on a very busy noisy highway. I do not exaggerate!!! On the bedside table is a note & a set of ear plugs compliments of management. Note says "if you don't find the noise of the highway romantic, block it put with these. " On the plus side -We stayed on the second floor so you could actually see the ocean in the distance. It was within walking distance of the beach & downtown which was great as parking downtown was a nightmare!! (And we were there off season). Room was big and we had a separate kitchen in a separate room. Bathroom was modern. So while it looked like an old motel from the sixties, once you were inside it was pretty good ( other than the roar of the highway which was loud even with the windows closed- and I am from a big city & live 4 houses from a 12 lane freeway ). If you want somewhere cheap & clean to stay in Laguna beach this fits the bill. Bring your own ear plugs.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OnTheRochs
Your review reflects our goals. Thanks so much. We bought The Tides 10 years ago and it was a mess. Our goal was to be clean and affordable so families could return to Laguna Beach. We do and will always keep trying to improve.
New Hampshire
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a two night stay at the Tides Inn hotel. The hotel was in a great location, just a short walk to the beach or to the many shops and restaurants around. The rooms are small but comfortable and were not as noisy as we thought they would be. They do give you ear plugs if you are bothered by the traffic noise. There is a small pool but we didn't have time to use it. The owners are friendly and we had an enjoyable stay.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks you for the lovely review.
Yes, we also love our location. We are looking forward to some wonderful new restaurants opening soon just a block or two away which will add to being only a block away from the gorgeous Heisler Park and walking distance to our amazing Laguna Art Museum.
We are looking forward to a return visit.
Menifee, California
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed here for two nights at the end of October and loved it. This an older property (built in the forties) that has been completely refurbished with each room individually redecorated. This is not your typical chain motel. We had a room with a king size bed on the second floor. The room had wood floors, flat screen tv, comfortable bedding and a comfortable chair to relax in. We had a small refrigerator and a keurig coffee maker with an assortment of k cups to select from. The bathroom had a shower only, which was fine with us. Two wing glasses and wine opener were provided. The decor was soft beach colors with beach accents. Perfect! The parking is tight-21 spaces for 21 rooms. The outside pool area is great. Outside fireplace that was lit every night, large BBQ that can be used by all guest and a salt water pool. The managers and staff were very friendly and helpful.

Be aware that this is a small boutique hotel, not a large luxurious resort. It is right on Pacific Coast Highway so there will be a couple of rooms that get traffic noise. The managers will tell you if they are noisey so take that into consideration before you book. Also this is an older property, though beautifully remodeled. If you want a new chain type feel go elsewhere. However if you want a comfortable reasonably priced room with a wonderful staff I highly recommend the Tides. You won't be sorry.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank srm54
We thank you for all your positive feedback, for taking the time to write a review and for appreciating all of our efforts. We look forward to a return visit.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 28 October 2013

So we read all the reviews and they were all fabulous, I wish I could say the same but I really wasn't that impressed. I'm not hard to please when it comes to hotels, there are a few key things that I look for, cleanliness is number one on my list, and I felt that The Tides was not really up to standards. I have stayed in hostels and $20 hotels in Mexico, as well as expensive ones so I have seen it all. The room was cute and I liked the little touches of decorations and Marlyn Monroe everywhere, but I found it a little dirty. The blinds in the bathroom were covered in dust and fuzz, the screen when you opened the window was also chock full of dust and dirt. The kitchen cupboards looked like the hadn't been wiped down for ever, they had dried bits of food and sauce on them. The bed didn't fit in the frame, and you could see the slats holding up the bed and they were covered in hair and dirt and dust, yuck. the worst part about it was it smelt like pee in the room, we were there for 5 days and had the windows open the whole time and the smell just wouldn't go away. My husband didn't think the smell was so bad, but he also wouldn't get down on the wool carpet to stretch because it was smelly and dirty.
The other thing I always look for in a hotel is a gym, they didn't have one, but I overlooked it because of the good reviews.
The bathroom was so tiny there could not be more than one person in there at once, and especially the shower. I love my baths and needed one because it was freezing there but there was no bath.
The location was good but I wish I would have been staying on the south side of the PCH rather than the north, as all the action is at the south end, and we ended up walking miles everyday to get where we wanted to be.
The good points, the staff was really nice and friendly, and had really good suggestions for restaurants.
They had a nice looking pool, with a ton of toys for it. It was cloudy and freezing when we were there so we never actually enjoyed it.
The had free WiFi.
The highway is really close, And though I am a light sleeper it really didn't bother me. They also give you earplugs on your bedside table, with a cute little note, if it should bother you. The bed squeaked really bad which actually woke me up more than the highway.
When we phoned to book the hotel they misquoted us the same price for the weekend as the weekdays, and I guess the price goes up for the weekend, but they charged us the cheaper price for all five days because they had misquoted us, which was really nice of them.

2 Thank Krustybee
Well, we liked the last part of your letter and are always grateful for reviews of all kinds. That is exactly what keeps us in shape and we thank you for your scrutiny. So, we have cleaned and cleaned. The rug has been cleaned. We do not have a gym but there are several close by. We wish you had mentioned the problems to us at the time rather than let 5 days go by.
We think you will be happy at Casa Laguna or La Casa del Camino at the northern end of town.
Many thanks for taking the time to write.
Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Great location, friendly and attentive owners and on-site management team, lovely property.
Rooms looked even better to us when we saw them than the photos indicated on their website. Across the street from beautiful Heisler Park, a nice place to wander and enjoy a sunset. We did the right thing selecting the Tides, and are thankful we did.

Room Tip: Room 207 left nothing to be desired.
1 Thank biff000
Thanks so much for staying at The Tides.
We appreciate your review and our location. Hope to see you soon again.
Don't forget our birthday special.
Port Orange, Florida
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My husband and I spent one night here on our SoCal five-day road trip. It's a modest hotel, nothing fancy, but clean and well maintained inside and out (nice pool area). It's located directly on PCH within walking distance to the beach (the restaurants are a bit further south, a fair hike by foot). We stayed in room 205 and paid $133.28 (all taxes included). It's not a large room and the bathroom is a quite small. It does have a small room before you enter the bathroom where there is a vanity area and small frig and a place to hang clothes. They do supply earplugs and without the air conditioner on, you would definitely need them! Also, the walls are very thin - we got an X-rated ear-full from the couple next door. I've read all of the reviews and agree with most of what has been written - however, I wouldn't say it's FABULOUS as many others have written. Comparing this to the other 4 places I stayed on our journey, I would give it a healthy, solid 3+.

Room Tip: Ask management as they are very helpful with your wishes.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
We are happy with a solid 3+.
Thanks,