“Charming!!”

Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Zurich
“Charming!!”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The Tides is a really charming motor lodge.
Referring to some earlier reviews of other travellers, on the contrary I found this motel charming, very comfortable and great value for money. I was not disturbed at all by the noise of the street - and also not agreeing with other travellers, I did not find the location too good at all.
The innkeepers are really friendly and do everything to make you feel comfortable. The room is charming like in a conch house and the bed is comfortable. There is a little kitchenette and the shower has unexpectedly good pressure. Parking is free. Location is just ok since the town center is about 10min away by foot. As advice for the owners, I would put a socket near the bed so I don't have to unplug the lamp underneath the bed for charging my phone.
Overall a very solid product that does not disappoint, just read the instructions/descriptions right upon your booking so you know what to expect.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
TidesLagunaBeach, Owner at The Tides Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Many thanks for calling us a solid product! Very nice compliment. We all hope and wish you walked to town via Heisler Park which is directly across the street. It would have made the walk seem less because the local artists' public art is so amazing. Please make your return visit in July or August when the free local open-air trolleys are running all over town. Very enjoyable. Looking forward to your return visit.
Linda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
Laguna Beach
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I'm writing this review because there are so many places you can stay in Laguna and I think for the money this is a great deal. The rooms are nice and the staff is very friendly. I loved the outside fire place by the pool,and the gas grill. They also allow pets. We didn't bring our dog but I saw other guests with their dogs. The room was very comfortable. Also on the website for the tides you can see pictures of each room then chose which one you want, a really cool feature I thought.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a kitchen.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
TidesLagunaBeach, Owner at The Tides Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
We loved every single thing you said. Thanks so very much. We look forward to your return visit.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed here for 5 days in Room 103. The room was very nice - had a kitchenette which was handy. There was a mixup with the reservation but it was all worked out. The ceilings and walls are a little thin so stay on the second floor. There is a lovely outdoor area near the pool where we sat by the fire we made in the outside fireplace - very charming! Room could use a comfy chair or two. Hotel is well located.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MinMontreal
Thanks so much. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
Big thanks for suggesting the comfy chairs. We are trying several different ones and always appreciate our guest's comments.
We will look for you again.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

We love the Tides Inn for its style - every room is a different theme and has an inspirational quote. We love the Buddha room and it's view. Old school motel charm with a great pool and outdoor wood-burning fireplace. There is a since of place...a warm and inviting place, that you'll want to return to.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank BlissRV
We are delighted that you had such a nice time. The "Buddha" room is a favorite because it is so bright and cheery but also quiet. The name came about because of the quote, then a wonderful guest was amazing enough to leave the Buddha picture in the room which we promptly hung--the rest is history. We look forward to your return visit.
Upland, California
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I was thrilled to manage to book our room the same day we arrived for a spur-of-the-moment one night stay. I found The Tides through a dog-friendly website as we wanted to bring our dog. They charge 2 different rates depending on the size of your dog. I'm unsure of the rationale for this, but I have a large dog and when I balked on the phone of paying the higher amount, the man on the line stated he would charge me the lesser amount -- I assumed because he was happy to be filling the room for the night or maybe because I booked directly with them. Regardless, when we went to check out the following day, the woman at the desk asked if I had a dog as if it was never noted on the reservation. I told her that I had informed the man I spoke to about the dog and the dog's size. I also told her that he offered me the discounted amount and she proceeded to argue with me about this and, yet, I believe the man that I spoke to the day before was standing right next to her and she never turned to ask him, nor did he speak up. I told her that he should not only have noted that we had a dog on the reservation, but also that he had offered me a discounted rate.--instead of having to argue about it at check-out. Ultimately, she honored the discount, but the dispute was caused by their own lack of record-keeping and her "dogged" attempt to collect those extra few dollars made check-out really awkward. To me, however, if you're going to charge a dog fee, charge one flat fee. My large, short-haired dog is likely no messier than a small long-haired dog.
Now to the room. It is, as others have said, a quaint older 50's motel-type place that has been refurbished. Our downstairs room had all tile floors, easy for clean-up, but cold for feet and cold for the dog, so bring something for fido to lay on. The bed linens were nice, but the mattress left something to be desired as the bed squeeked, did not provide good support, and you could hear the coils in the mattress as you moved. The squeeking bed issue also caused a problem for us when the room above us, with what sounded like wood floors and also a squeeking, sliding bed, proceeded to give us an x-rated ear-full, lots of heavy foot noise, and sounds like they were moving furniture around. It was a bit unnerving between 11 and midnight and unavoidable to hear since their cable programming starting having problems and so we shut off the TV earlier than planned. The Inn likely has little soundproofing between the 2 floors, however, in all fairness to the Inn, they have no control over the people's actions and the people staying in that room had to be oblivious to the fact of how much they were affecting us or simply didn't care. Never heard the people to the sides of us or anyone else, just the ones above, nor was street noise a problem. The bathroom is small, but I loved the large walk-in shower. Water temp, unfortunately, varied more than it should and became overly hot at one point so watch out for younger children. Since there is no vent, I tried to open the window, but could not figure out how to do so. It seemed stuck or unopenable. There's a hair dryer, but if you have a lot of hair, bring your own. Our room (108) had a Keurig, microwave, & a small fridge which came in handy. There was noticeable dust on the bathroom chair rail and pictures in bathroom needed to be wiped down. The rest of the room, however, seemed clean and there were no pet-related smells to the room.
We both loved the location as we simply walked into downtown for dinner and a short walk across PCH to Heisler Park to walk the dog. Although we saw a few homeless men near the Inn and in the Park, we did not feel unsafe in the area.
I have mixed feelings because I really wanted to find a great little place that allows us to bring our dog. We got spoiled having had an emply nest for about 7 years and got used to last minute overnights away from home, but we adopted a dog about a month ago and are still trying to figure out ways to not restrict our fun, but also to not leave our sweet dog behind. The beds were hard on my older back and the noise problems from upstairs were an issue. The issue at check-out, too, was disappointing. For us, the positives were that it is dog-friendly and its location.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kiralou22
Well, you did not miss a thing. Great review!
Congratulations on becoming a dog owner. There is nothing better that the unconditional love you will receive. We do have adorable dog blankets now although we have found most dog lovers travel with their own.
Our housekeepers were notified of the dust. We try so hard to be as clean as possible--not easy at the beach and next to a highway.
The Tides was built in 1949--we admit to thin walls and small-ish parking places. We bought this wonderful motel 10 years ago but decided not to do major reconstruction as we wanted to keep it a great affordable place for families to vacation.
We do hope you return and try another room.
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Room and saltwater pool was wonderful. Very friendly mgmt. Not fancy but comfortable and charming with a touch of luxury, and gives an impression of the "real" Laguna Beach lifestyle. The kitchen was well equipped for small meals. Tides Inn is perfect for a getaway. The beach is close by and only a few minutes to walk, location is very convenient near downtown, restaurants galleries and shops.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MLondon26
TidesLagunaBeach, Manager at The Tides Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you. Thank you. We hope you return soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Stayed here with a friend for two nights earlier on this month, quiet and very friendly staff who are willing to help. Location is good too, it's a 5/10 minute walk in to the centre and takes away any drink driving issues. Good cafe nearby for breakfast and go to the sandpiper for drinks...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank a h
TidesLagunaBeach, Owner at The Tides Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
We are so glad you had fun for 2 entire days in Laguna Beach. Please check out our birthday special and come back for 2 more glorious days.
Thanks so much--your thoughts are very appreciated.