“Inconsistent service, but worth dealing with it for the food.”

Laguna Thai By The Sea
Ranked #94 of 168 Restaurants in Laguna Beach
Price range: US$11 - US$16
Cuisines: Thai
Laguna Beach, California
“Inconsistent service, but worth dealing with it for the food.”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I am a Laguna resident, and I would rate Thai By the Sea as the best overall (by elimination) of the three Thai restaurants in town. However, every time we've gone there when it's busy the staff seems overwhelmed, and it takes a long time for the food to arrive. If you're willing to deal with that, the food has always been worth it in my experience (maybe 10-12 visits over that last couple of years including takeout). The ingredients have always appeared to be fresh and menu items are just slightly on the healthy side (not including the Thai Iced Tea, of course!) The location is a little out of the way and parking is tricky (rear lot is best if you can find space).

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank murray9000

• Thai first
southern California
“Best for Take Out”
Reviewed 12 March 2011

Small with no atmosphere. We get takeout from here about once a month.
Always fresh vegetables, ample servings and good value. They do have an affordable
lunch menu for eating in.

• Visited March 2011
Laguna Beach, California
“violent food poisoning, dirty, stay away!”
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I ordered the tom yum soup with shrimp and crying tiger. My cup and plate had food residue, and the waitress seemed annoyed that I brought it up. My meat was way over cooked, I asked for medium, I got very well done. My soup was luke warm, but since I was hungry, I ate it. About 2 hours after I ate my meal, I had the worst stomach cramps, intense pain and had to be on the toilet the rest of the night. The worst experience ever.

1 Thank paragonfoodcritic
Laguna Niguel, California
“Not so great.....”
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We decided to try this spot based on trip advisor reviews. I had to call a couple of times b/c we were having difficulty finding the sign. They were VERY nice on the phone. They told us they have their own parking lot, which consists of about 4 parking spots, which were taken. We were able to find a spot across the street though. Inside is VERY VERY tiny & dark w/no windows. We originally sat down to eat, but decided since the atmosphere wasn't that great to order to go & eat it on the beach. Good choice! We ordered the Pad Thai & Egg noodle dish. The pad thai was odd. Not tasty to my palate anyway. We had Pad Thai in Thailand and various other places around the world & this was my least favorite for sure. They put something in it that resembles toufu & taste like uhhhh....a weird mold/dirt flavor. However; they are VERY generous on the shrimp portions in the dish & the employees are VERY nice. The egg noodle dish wasn't too bad though. We won't go back again, but glad we tried it.

2 Thank funinthesun0
IRVINE, CA
“Superb experience”
Reviewed 8 August 2009

I had well travelled friends from out of town to entertain and since we decided on eating dinner in Laguna Beach I did my homework on the internet and quickly came up with Laguna Thai- what a great find!!! The selection on the menu was lengthy but we decided on 6 dishes and then shared- everyone agreed they were all amazing! I'm a Thai food lover and this is just the best I've had anywhere, including Thailand.

In addition, the service was very friendly and attentive- they seemed to have a very caring attitude. The bottom line is that we thoroughly enjoyed our Thai food experience and I really can't wait to go back.