“Very Nice Experience”

Hortense Miller Garden
Ranked #45 of 74 things to do in Laguna Beach
More attraction details
Fee: No
Owner description: Hortense Miller built her mid-century modern house in 1959 and started to garden in the two acre property the same year. Tours of the garden and house must be arranged through the City of Laguna Beach Recreation Dept.. Tours are offered Tuesday through Saturday throughout the year.
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This was our 2nd tours of the gardens and it was even better than our first visit. Out docent was great. The property was left to the city and they maintain both the house and the multilevel gardens. Definitely jot wheelchair accessible. A fair amount of walking up and down stairs, some with no hand rails. I love gardening and I was delighted by the various plants in the gardens. Worthwhile 90 minutes, but you may have to make reservations weeks in advance.

3  Thank Walter H

Reviewed 5 September 2013

My husband and I called and got reservations to tour this property last week . I had high expectations and while it was an interesting diversion from the usual in Laguna Beach I was really hoping for more . The house is small and charming . Definitely the highlight of the day for me as well as hearing about the history of the property and seeing the beautiful mural that she painted . But the "gardens" were lack luster . They are basically a trail of switch backs meandering down a sharp incline into the canyon . Our guide kept saying you'll have to come back when things are in bloom . But we saw nothing spectacular or interesting at all . I would give this a 3 if it were in fact a free excursion but they strongly suggest a $10 donation per person . So that is why I give it only a 2. The value of $20 is just not worth it !

6  Thank wagnerfamilytravel
Reviewed 17 December 2012

GREAT place if mid-century Architecture and furniture is your thing. The gardens are nice also. But, you MUST call much in advance as tours are by appointment only -the ONLY bummer about this place... I really wish they would just open it full-time and let people come spur of the moment. You better check two or more weeks in advance and I believe it is seasonal too... If you are bent on seeing it -call waaaaayyyyyy in advance of your plans, like months...

3  Thank SM2345
Reviewed 11 December 2012

A "must see" for those who appreciate mid-century architecture and furniture. The gardens are beautiful also. Nice place to visit! By appt only -call ahead of time -couple weeks...

1  Thank LagunaBell
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Nestled in the hills above Laguna Beach is the charming home of the late Hortense Miller. If you are into mid-century architecture and/or gardening, be sure to call the Dept. of Recreation in Laguna to schedule a tour. The home, which is lovingly maintained by volunteers, is well worth the stop.