“Comfy beds...pillows not so much!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Casa del Camino

La Casa del Camino
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Pooler, Georgia
“Comfy beds...pillows not so much!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights! We booked through hotels.com and got placed in ther handicap room. Which was fine. The bed was amazing. But... They have other rooms that were a lot nicer. You can't beat the location and the restaurant downstairs! Also... Their breakfast ~ Amazing!!!! Best part is its FREE. Also they don't charge for parking which is another plus! Overall we loved the hotel just wish we would of had a different room!

• Stayed June 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

I stayed in a few years back for about a month whilst working in the area. Service was fantastic, clean rooms, great food and great ambiance on the rooftop.
Always a place I would go back and see when I'm back in Laguna.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

My husband & I dropped off our 3rd (& last) daughter at OSU and headed to the airport for a much needed "empty nest" celebration! The atmosphere is amazing! The breakfast was always enjoyable and the roof top lounge is awesome!! Only downside...we got a parking ticket upon arrival, do not leave your car in the 3 min loading zone, you will get a $95 ticket! (the desk should alert its patrons to that fact).

Room Tip: We had a room on the 2nd floor, very cozy. I loved that you could open the windows, beautiful flowe...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

We just got back from a week of busy family functions in Orange County and coming back to relax in Laguna Beach was ideal. The location was absolutely perfect for us. The beach was just down the street. While the room we had was rather on the small side it did have a bed and a bath and, really, that's all we actually needed. I was surprized by the fact that there was a crowded bar with music directly below us and the room was still quiet! (I had lived in a 100 year old building above a bar for 7 years and the noise was always deafening.) The roof top restaurant was wonderful and the prices were very fair (can't even begin to describe the incredible view). The staff were friendly and helpful. I have been telling everyone I know to check it out. I'd even send my mother there! Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SeattleBertie
Langenthal, Schweiz
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

You can put lipstick on a pig, but that doesn’t change the fact that it is still a pig. You can slap a coat of paint on a 2-star flop-house, but that doesn’t make it the Victoria Jungfrau. It’s still just a dive with a paint job.

This is the case with La Casa del Camino. Had it not been for the dreadful experience at the Capri Laguna, I would not have even known about this hotel. It was nearly midnight when I packed up and left that slum down the street, so I had no desire to do a thorough search for a quality hotel. I simply stopped at the nearest one. La Casa del Camino was just 1 block down the street so I checked in. They wanted $204 including tax for the night. My first impression was that this was a bit high, but I was dog tired, so I agreed. The day had begun @ 5:45 am in Chicago and I just wanted it to be over ASAP. Alas, La Casa showed me what kind of hotel it really is and thus it took about another hour before I could crash.

The hall outside my first room (first of 3) smelled like vomit. Venturing inside revealed a train wreck of a room design. Tiny. Cramped. No desk. No chair. No room for spreading out a garment bag except for the bed and the floor. Putting the bag on the floor meant having to walk around it to get anywhere. Putting it on the bed meant not having room to sleep in the bed. The color of the walls was some kind of beige that looked like the room had hosted 1001 poker games and perhaps a deep-fryer from time to time.

I went to the window and closed the curtains. When I grabbed the main curtain, which felt like it could also double as a carpet, some kind of film rubbed off on my hand. I rubbed the curtain with my other hand just to make certain that I was not ‘just feeling things’ or experiencing some other form of sensory hallucination. Sure enough, there WAS something on the curtain. I have no idea what it was, but it was unlike anything else I’ve ever felt. I washed it off, grabbed my bags, and headed back down to the lobby.

I told the front desk attendant about the vomit, the depressing room, the film on the curtains, and asked for a better room. It turns out that the rooms had been remodeled recently! They were ALL done in this mockery of style. This was both surprising and scary because that means somebody actually CHOSE to make a light switch plate look like it had 8 years of filthy fingers on it. What style were they going for? Jaundice gloom?

Add La Casa to the list of hotels whose designers have not figured out that one must consider the light source when selecting colors. The high-efficiency CFC bulbs made a bad thing look even worse.

The 2nd room was slightly better in terms size, but that’s about it. The walls were the same as that in the first room. The light switch plate looked like it needed to be put in an autoclave. This room was on the bottom floor, so it had no direct view of the outside world. The curtains also had that same nasty chemical on them. I was far to burnt out to do anything about it, so I had to crash.

Sleeping is difficult here at this hotel. The walls are so thin that you can hear everything in the entire house. The floors creak, so when somebody in the room above moves, you know all about it. The next day began much earlier than I wanted it do. First, the TV came on all by itself. The guest before me had programmed it to be his alarm clock. Apparently, he or she had to rise at about 5:30am. I managed to get back to sleep, but not for long. The window in this room faces the alley in back of the hotel and is right about at tire level. This particular alley was more like a thoroughfare. Traffic started at about 6am. Then came one of those trucks that beeps when it goes into reverse. I was awake for the day and was not happy about it.

After showering and dressing, I went back to the front desk and asked for a room on the top floor. I also explained to the front desk manager that the hotel was horribly overpriced and asked them to adjust it. In my opinion, these rooms were worth a maximum of $120 including tax on a good day. This was being generous. They reduced the price to $159 excluding tax. That was as low as they would go.

I returned from a day of meetings at about 5:30pm. They had not moved my stuff to the new room. The 3rd room was on the top floor and was same thing, just smaller. It was the smallest of the 3. Same depressing style. Same process with the closing of the curtains: shut curtain, wash chemicals off hands.

No desk. No chair. There is free WiFi, but no place to sit down while working on the computer. The WiFi bandwidth is not high enough to conduct an audio-only Skype call.

The bar and restaurant 1 floor down are rather lively which makes for a high ambient noise level in the room. Once in a while, the revelers venture upstairs bringing the party and the racket with them. They stampeded past my room from time to time.

Breakfast is a tiny buffet set up in the lobby. It was the kind of breakfast buffet that one typically finds in a low-cost traveler’s hotel where the room rates are $79 – 99 night. There were some cereals, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, frozen bagels (already thawed, luckily), apples, oranges, juices, and coffee. The dishes & bowls are plastic. The cups are of paper. Everything is 1-use, disposable. Green they are not.

With enough alcohol, you won’t hear the noise or notice the surroundings, so I would recommend this hotel as a place to crash after getting blind drunk at the restaurant below or somewhere in the neighborhood. Otherwise avoid this hotel!

Room Tip: stay at another hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Ravenshaw
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at La Casa del Camino, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear Ravenshaw,

We are sorry to hear of your frustrations regarding the interior design and new decor of our unique historic hotel. We have put a lot of thought and consideration into our renovations, and while we have received many great reviews and compliments regarding our style and ambiance, we realize La Casa del Camino may not be suitable to everyone's taste.

Regarding your comment about a film on the curtains, these are all brand new velvet drapes. The only texture we have found is the actual texture of the fabric.

Your comments regarding our deluxe continental breakfast, wireless Internet, and room design have been noted, and your feedback is appreciated.

Regards,
Charlotte
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012 via mobile

I chose this place based on the reviews and it did not disappoint. If you're looking for a ritzy hotel then this isn't for you. But if you're looking for a cozy, beautiful place with a lot of character, this is for you. The room was small but it was clean and I really liked the way it was decorated. The staff is very nice and accommodating. It's only a couple of steps to the beach which was cool. The rooftop lounge is a big plus too. I'll definitely be back to visit. Thanks for a great stay!

Stayed April 2012
Monroe, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Just got back from a long weekend and the word we keep using to describe our stay at La Casa is....FUN. We had a blast staying at this unique hotel in Laguna beach. The location, view, our surf themed room, rooftop bar, excellent restaurant and great staff will bring us back again.
Breakfast (delicious) up on the rooftop, with fantastic views of the ocean and great Bloody Mary's started each day. We would return to the rooftop each nite before we headed out for excellent Mohitos. The food at both the bar upstairs (appetizers) and for dinner at K'ya (small plates) is excellent. K'ya - diverse menu of tapas style food - really stellar! Our room - Billabong - was cool and quirky- surfboard on wall, unique art and bathroom, comfy bed. Friendly, SoCal beach vibe throughout hotel, from staff to management. Loved it!

Room Tip: Look at the surf themed rooms online. Rooms are not huge but each has very different style and decor
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple