“Don't get a room near lobby.”
Review of La Casa del Camino

Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Palm Desert, California
“Don't get a room near lobby.”
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel in a great location but our partial view room overlooked the dumpsters and the lounge singer sounded like he was in our room.
Breakfast buffet was great. Rooftop nice but took forever to have someone wait on us.

• Stayed March 2013
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at La Casa del Camino, responded to this review, 14 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. We are happy to hear your compliments regarding our beautiful hotel and breakfast buffet :)
Our hotel is quite small, with only 36 total guest rooms, and I apologize that you may not have had the best of the partial ocean view rooms. I would recommend the Casa Surf Suite's with a full ocean view, or a Deluxe room with a courtyard view, should you return in the future. Please book with us directly for the best room choice.
For future note, the live music played in the lobby on weekends is typically over by 10pm. I apologize if it seemed too loud during your stay.
We appreciate your feedback and wish you happy travels!
La Casa del Camino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 April 2013

It's a little bit pricier but still reasonable. Consider the location, literally steps away from a flight of stairs down to the sand of the beach.

The parking situation isn't too bad. Pull up to the "unloading parking" on the side of the hotel and call the front desk to send out an attendant to take the luggage. They give you a parking pass to hang on your rear view mirror and you park in their designated parking lot across the street.

We checked in Friday night at around 10pm, The lobby was pretty live, Middle-aged crowd (beach locals) was flowing out of the Bistro off to the right, bar off to the left was pretty calm but group of guys were watching the game on the flat screen and some random guy was playing the piano to a pair of ladies.

We checked in and walked up to one of the regular rooms. The room was pretty snug but the decor was really night. Very Spanish Villa-like, hence the name of the room on their website. The bathrooms were small, you can fit two people in the bathroom but you are packed in like a sardine.

My girlfriend and I freshened up and had the front desk call us a cab. We headed up to Javier's Mexican Restaurant and Bar, which was a $20 including tip cab ride up PCH to Newport. One of the top restaurants in the Newport/Crystal Cove area.

The following morning we woke up for the free hotel breakfast buffet downstairs in the wine cellar type dining area. They had a full coffee/juice bar with an attendant to keep the food and beverages flowing. After breakfast, the buffet attendant offered us some medium size fleece blankets to take down the steps to the beach. We walked out the side door of the buffet dining area and walked down the stairs to the beach. Laid some blankets out on the sand and laid down to relax and take in the moment.

This place has great service along with the amazing location. Unfortunately we did not get to go upstairs to the rooftop restaurant but next time I come down I'll be making it up there.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your great review! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to hosting you again, and hopefully you will make it up to our ever-popular Rooftop Lounge. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated!
Corona, California
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I was very impressed with the location walking distance from the beach as you exit the hotel. The staff takes chairs and a umbrella for you down the steps to the beautiful beach down below. You get the beach towel from the front desk. So convenient. We as a family of four ( kids 6 and 9 yrs.) booked a King size non view special discount hotel website. My lucky day. All the surf suites were taken that were King size bed with sofa bed. The staff was so accommodating to want to get us a roll a way bed if needed and gave us a room that fit our needs that was roomy. I was concern past reviews that the rooms would be small. The room was fine fit our needs was roomy with a closet and a armoire to hang clothes. The breakfast was great! Oatmel, Hot cakes, french toast,Fruit, scrambled eggs, kids loved the bacon! We love the K'ya Bistro ate there two nights in a row. We could not imagine going anywhere else with nice happy hours prices small plates. We were trying to check of the list of small plates try every dish recommended. Sumac Salmon, Poke Tuna, Short ribs..and the Banana bread pudding ..yum! Mojitos were awesome! Nice Kids menu. Next time we will be back and try one of the Surf Suites. There is no pool but you have the beach and Rooftop Lounge view to dine at also! Loved it!

Room Tip: Look at the hotel website to choose surf suite. Non View King rooms good too!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I stayed here for a weekend to attend my buddy's wedding. It was one of the hotels listed as "nice places to stay" courtesy of the bride and groom. And it was. It wasn't the most money and it wasn't the cheapest so I didn't really have a problem with the price. The rooms were quaint (small) but we were hardly in the room. The attraction of this hotel is the rooftop bar and the wonderfully enthusiastically attractive clientele. We had fun haning out up there both before and after the wedding (Our server Noelle was great). If you're looking for a good hangover cure, order the breakfast burrito. It's great! There's also a Jack in the Box 2 minutes from the hotel and I found myself there late Friday and Saturday night.

The one caveat I have is that there's NO parking around the hotel. You have to go inside and get a parking permit to part across the street. They have a white "3 minute unloading" curb where I parked and I don't know about you but I don't know anyone who can check in and unload in under 3 minutes and therefore when went back out to my car I was greeted with a parking ticket. I was so upset but I got the sense that this little town of "Laguna Beach" has to keep up with its pricey reputation somehow and that the meter maid probably just sits there and waits.

Other than that, the hotel was pretty good and the rooftop bar was great. Would I go back? I guess if I had a reason to go back to Laguna Beach I would definitely check this place out first but I'm also the type of person who will shop pricing until I'm blue in the face.

I can't say enough about the rooftop bar. Good food, good service, great view. Check it out!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for posting your review! We are happy you enjoyed your stay at our little hotel. So sorry to hear about the parking ticket :( We've tried to get the time limit in the loading zone increased to even 10 minutes, but unfortunately, the city won't agree with us.
We hope you can find another reason to visit Laguna Beach, and that we may have the opportunity to host you again!
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Great place, beautiful views but the staff really made this a five star stay. Friendly and helpful at every point. Everyone seemed very happy to work there and made us feel at home and comfortable.

The roof top deck is the most amazing place to see sunset from and we saw many dolphins, seals and even a wale one afternoon.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Loved this place! We didn't dine at the onsite restaurant the first night because we assumed it would be too expensive, turns out the prices are reasonable for an excellent meal and experience. The staff is friendly and the lobby is a great place to socialize and have a glass of wine with friends. The rooms are a bit small and some nights the bar above creates some noise if you wanted to get to bed early but the social scene is fun and energetic and you should at leat go check out the view from the top/outside bar area. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: choose a room away from the street side if you want a quiet room
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at La Casa del Camino, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Thank you for your review! We're thrilled to know you enjoyed your recent stay, and appreciate your compliments regarding our friendly staff and energetic ambiance. We hope to host you again!