“Great location”
Review of La Casa del Camino

La Casa del Camino
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Nice, older, remodeled property. On busy street. Great views, restaurant and rooftop lounge. Very friendly staff, off site parking on surface lot with hotel guest pass. Walking distance to lots of shops, restaurants and a great little speciality food store.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for La Casa del Camino

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Finding a good hotel in Laguna Beach is a nightmare - most are on PCH and suffer from noise, they are very expensive and of questionable quality. I decided to try La Casa Del Camino on the off-chance because the Fairmont Newport Beach was fully booked. I was glad I tried it!

The good stuff:
a) The staff were so friendly, helpful and diligent - the bell boy, front office and breakfast staff - it is so good seeing people doing a good job with a smile!
b) The roof terrace was breathtaking - amazing views through 180 degrees north and south. I could have spent all day there with my laptop.
c) My room was very clean and the whole hotel felt well cared for.

The ok stuff:
a) Breakfast was simple and I liked what was on offer but if you are going to stay a week it would be boring
b) The location is good for some shops but is around 1 mile from the town centre so you will probably need to drive
c) The room was a traditional Spanish style which I liked but is not like a modern chain hotel
d) Parking is across PCH - about 2 minutes walk and 5 minutes waiting for the lights to change

The bad stuff - nothing really.

I liked my stay and would use the La Casa Del Camino again if I was staying in Laguna Beach.

1  Thank BertBantham
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at La Casa del Camino, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for your comprehensive review. Your compliments and endorsement as "the best place to stay in Laguna Beach" are appreciated so much! We can see that you travel quite often, and we welcome your candid comments. Many thanks, and we hope to host you again soon!

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My mom and I both purchased gift certificates for my husband and I as a Christmas gift. We spent 2 nights here. It is a small inn located within a one minute walk to the beach and about a mile from downtown. The overall feeling of the hotel is Spanish . There are several rooms which are very European. Some of these rooms are tiny with the exception of the king Spanish room which is lovely and more spacious. We originally booked this room but were upgraded to one of the more modern surf suites for a minimal charge. We stayed in the Riviera suite which was great. It has a partial ocean view. The bed was comfortable, and I loved the separate sitting area with 2 very cool chairs. We toured several of the surf suites. They were all unique and fun. The lobby is gorgeous with a huge fireplace and live music at night. The rooftop lounge has one of the best views in Southern California, great food and awesome mojitos. We had lunch on the roofdeck and ordered room service from Kya the downstairs restaurant. The food from there was some of the best I have ever had and fairly reasonable. I would highly recommend La Casa Del Camino and would definitely stay here again. 2 bonuses- breakfast and parking are included in the very reasonable daily resort fee of $12.00

Room Tip: Some of the Spanish rooms are small- if you stay in a Spanish style room, book a king- it is larger...
1  Thank pattimelt41

Thank you for posting such a great review. We are so happy that you took the opportunity to tour our many room styles and write about your recommendations. I'm sure many Tripadvisor shoppers will appreciate reading about your experience as they search for a reputable hotel.
We are very grateful for your kind words, and hope to have the opportunity to host you and your husband again.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Good feel and many lovely features about this hotel, but cannot get over a couple nagging issues that ruined the whole experience for me:
1) Rooms are TINY- the website pictures don't really demonstrate that- it's a bit of a joke really
2) My room was also incredibly dark and dingy- couldn't see much at all even with drapes open
3) The rooftop bar is AWESOME, but they close at 9pm and FORCE you to leave- even if you're a hotel guest- just so they can clean up. At 9pm. Weird.
4) Food in K'ya was very nice and reasonably priced- definitely recommend this- feels like very good value.

Room Tip: Insist on a room AWAY from the elevator...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank unclesteff

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your experience. I can understand your point about some of our guest rooms being small, which is why they are aptly named "Petite Queen" rooms; these are the lowest priced rooms we offer. We also have many other room styles which are much larger, namely our "Spanish King" and our Casa Surf Suites, which comprise about half our hotel.
We are happy to hear you were able to enjoy our Rooftop Lounge, which does indeed close at 9pm during the weekdays per city noise ordinance. We do allow our hotel guests access to the Rooftop any time, day or night, as long as we don't get neighborhood or city complaints. I am very sorry to hear that you felt "forced" to leave so the staff could clean up; we will be conducting a supplemental training to our Rooftop team that emphasizes our policy for hotel guests to have 24hr access to the Rooftop.
Your candid comments and feedback are welcome and appreciated. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in one of our larger, brighter guest rooms.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Needed some beach time and saw a deal for the La Casa del Camino. I'm so happy I discovered it. It's a beautiful old hotel with lots of character close to the beach. My room was small, but cozy and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and shared lots of local places to eat and things to do. The free parking was a nice bonus and I enjoyed the complimentary breakfast in the quaint little courtyard. I'd stay here over a modern, fancy, generic resort anytime!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

We're so happy you discovered us too! Thank you for your kind review... we look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Was able to book this room day of and totally lucked out once we saw what we were getting! This was a wonderful hotel right on the water. Full of charm. Small rooms, but a great classic decor, dark hardwood floors. Simple. Amazing rooftop bar, that, though crowded, we caught a beautiful sunset while drinking some awesome drinks.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

La Casa Del Camino is a gem amongst rocks. If you are into classical Spanish design and architecture this place is for you! From the moment my girlfriend and I walked in the door we are immediately in love with the ambiance. The staff was amazing, starting with the person I would have to say is responsible for us having an amazing first impression. When you check in, ask for Norma if you can, everyone is so friendly but she has a certain spark and charisma that lights up the room and our attitudes. Kudos for Norma!
There's a very nice bar at the lobby with a huge fireplace and lounge area, where the live music is being played. Pay attention to who's playing they will be famous one day! The food at he Bistro is amazing, but if you'd like venture outside, not only is La Casa Del Camino walking distance to just about everything you're looking for (including a supermarket and a liquor store), but at night there's a shuttle that will take you anywhere in Laguna and bring you back, for free. The rooftop dinning was breathtaking, especially at sunset! I have never seen the sun set like I did in Laguna, and rooftop is a front row seat to such a breath taking view. I believe on Fridays and Saturdays the rooftop turns into a lounge/club for a few hours.
I read a few complaints about the lights being dim and music being a bit loud until about 10PM at night, this is definitely a case of the glass being half full or half empty. We loved the lack of bright lights and the live music (acoustic might I add). some of the rooms were small, but they were still beautiful, and to be honest, we were in Laguna Beach, you don't come here to stay in your room, we used it for sleep and the other fun thing! :-). The decor was so beautiful, we stayed for about 12 days and in those 12 days they allowed us to switch to different rooms as we please. We wanted to experience every angle of the hotel because it has become a vacation destination for us for life!
My girlfriend and I had a wonderful time at La Casa Del Camino and will definitely be back soon!
Cheers!

Room Tip: Ask for Norma, she will take care of you! :-)
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rdwytnblue

We are so thrilled to read your thoughts on your recent stay! Thank you for your comprehensive review of your 12 night stay. We're glad you got to experience many different guest rooms and all the amenities we are so proud to offer. Feel free to contact Norma directly before your next visit so she can set you up with your favorite room :)
Thank you again for your loyalty... we look forward to providing you many years of wonderful memories in Laguna Beach!