“Not what I expected”

Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Los Angeles, California
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed here for two nights for my friend's wedding in Laguna Beach. The bonus was that it was close to the Montage where all the wedding activities took place. That was pretty much the only plus side.

I came early to see if I could drop my bags at the front desk because I had to meet the bride early and didn't want my bags sitting in my car melting all day. I showed up and the man behind the desk said they didn't have a place to store luggage, and that maybe someone could watch it behind the desk…I chose not to take my chances so I lugged it all back into my car.

I finally checked in to a hot room, and quickly found the poorly schemed 'western' motif very odd. There are swinging cowboy doors to the bathroom that don't stay open they just keep swinging shut or get stuck which is very odd. I also came to find a trail of ants and two spiders. I went to the front desk and they moved me to a different room, but sounded like they just wanted to me check out and that my finding spiders was annoying. Thankfully there were a ton of wedding activities and I didn't have to stay at the hotel very long.

Free parking for one car. For the price I paid I could've stayed somewhere way nicer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jose2244, Owner at Laguna Brisas Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. I will share your words with staff. We apologize for the lack of hospitality you experienced. We are committed to changing and continue working on our shortcomings. Best regards, we appreciate your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Paso Robles, United States
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Booked a room from a block that was set aside for a wedding. The booking experience was easy and accommodating, but the overall experience fell short of our expectations. The room was very small, had to move the desk to access the air conditioner and allow for proper air flow, and the beds were very uncomfortable.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jose2244, Manager at Laguna Brisas Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
I agree Laguna beach could be quite expensieve especially in the summer time. We always try to keep are rights below the competition. We will continue to train our employees and work on our shortcomings. Travel safe.
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The rooms were fine. The hotel layout very awkward. We checked in early and were very lucky the room was ready. I was told nothing about getting make up on the towels would result in a charge. My daughter checked in with her bridesmaids a little later that day. I was there at check in and they made a big point of saying DO NOT get make up on the linens are there will be a fine. Totally rubbed me the wrong way- either I was not completely informed on check in or they were just being rude to the young girls. You get one key per room, two if very lucky- that is a super big pain if you are not always together. Since it is so close to the beach the whole property is locked, so the key is a must. There is a nice free breakfast and pretty ok coffee till 10:30. Right by the summer trolly stop and beach access.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Jose2244, Manager at Laguna Brisas Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We will continue to work on our shortcomings and strive for 100% guest satisfaction. I will talk to the staff regarding how to properly phrase their words. It is not our intent to be rude just informative. Best regards.

Sunny Southern California
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Best Western Laguna Brisas is located about 1.5 miles from Main Beach. This is my 3rd stay here and although it’s been a while, the experience is much the same.

Let’s start with the pro’s. It’s close enough to Main Beach and most restaurants that you can walk to them in a sort while (although it’s not for the faint of heart). If it’s Summer time (July-August), you can always take the free shuttle that comes around about ever 20 mins.

Although not ocean front, it’s a short walk to the sandy beach across the street and down a small driveway. Easy for all, except again the faint of heart as there is a slight incline. The street you have to cross is PCH, a rather busy street but does have a marked crosswalk and a signal which make the crossing fairly safe. The beach there is clean and safe like most of Laguna.

Now the con’s. The room are good size (about 500 sq ft) with a large bathroom. Most of the rooms have elevator access except the top floor. About half the top floor you need to walk up a flight of stairs (a lot). I don’t recommend the top floor for anyone one that is physically challenged or if you have young children.
One thing that they sell as a feature I find a liability. Their Jacuzzi in room tub is oversize and is not sunken. Since it is not sunken, you have about 2 feet you have to climb over every day to take a shower. There’s a lot of grab bars (you’ll need them) but that still can be a challenge for many.

The biggest con (on all stays) are the rooms are very humid. I don’t know why they seem humid but every room we had there is very “wet”. It does have A/C which solves the problem for the most part but it is noticeable.

Parking is underground and somewhat plentiful. Wi-Fi is throughout and spotty. Both are free as of this writing.

Would I stay here again, probably but this last stay is pushing the top dollar range ($$$) and there are other options, some on the water.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor if you don't like stairs
4 Thank nativecal
Jose2244, Manager at Laguna Brisas Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
I appreciate your words. A very honest evaluation. Rest assured we will continue to strive for perfection and 100% guest satisfaction. We look forward to your next visit. Best regards.

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Nice room situated below grade right on US 1 + construction in the lobby using power tools planned until 1 am. Obviously don't care whether guests sleep. Claimed would move us but no more rooms. Since we purchased from a 3rd party we were supposed to get the bad rooms. Somehow, they did find another room (lied) and moved us off the construction floor after we called 3rd party vender. Beware.

Stayed August 2014
Jose2244, Manager at Laguna Brisas Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. I will share your words with the staff. I am glad that the staff was able to move you to a room more to your liking. We apologize for the inconvenience that lobby remodel may have caused you We will continue to instill can do attitude in all our employees and work on our shortcomings. Best regards.

generalmanager@lagunarisas.com
Acton, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This hotel is great for families and the proximity to the beach is wonderful. The rooms are clean and surprisingly quiet. The breakfast room was always clean and items fresh. The pool was always clean. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

2 Thank Thomas C
Jose2244, Manager at Laguna Brisas Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for your words, You are right...it is a great location at a great price. We will continue to improve our hotel and instill a can do attitude in all our employees. Happy travels.

Sulphur
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed one night and it was wonderful. The hotel was undergoing some updating, but everything was great. The staff was well organized and very helpful. They were in a different area for check in, but there were not problems. The hotel was very clean and I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank TelMo1
I am so glad that you enjoyed your time. I will share your words with our hardworking staff. Best regrads.