“What a Gem”

The Inn At Laguna Beach
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Laguna Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We found The Inn at Laguna Beach on a website and then checked out Tripadvisor reviews. The reviews do not do this keepstake enough justice. A boutique hotel on the ocean. We had a great ocen view and deck. The location is outstanding on the north end of the downtwon main beach. Attractively appointed with its recent remodel. Ownership is the same as The Biltmore in Phoenix so the ownership knows how to run a hotel. However the best part is their staff. John, a former golf teacher, could not be more attentive and accomodating. And Dorothy at the front desk "truly" takes a vested interest in your time at the hotel and in Laguna. Perfect no frills amenities. Yesterday, we read books on the terrace by the fire pit while watching and listing to the sounds of the ocean. Eveing cookies and hot apple cider in the lobby. Free happy hour wine on the terrace. Just charming and will hopefully ahve the opportunity to return.

Room Tip: Get a room on the ocean with a deck and chairs.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BarryZoob
Peggy T, General Manager at The Inn At Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

BarryZoob

Thank you so much for your kind review. You touched on our two greatest resources our staff and our location. I am very fortunate to come to work daily and be with such a great group of people. They certainly make me a better leader and person.

We hope that you are able to return to Laguna Beach as we would love to give you a warm welcome back. Thank you for the note you slipped under my office door.

Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed here three times now for our anniversary. The first two times we were given a room with a private ocean view. This time we decided to pay extra for a balcony ocean view. Unfortunately, they put us on the first floor south side so instead of an ocean view, we got a noisy public walkway outside our room. The whole point of paying for the ocean view balcony is to enjoy the views, but we had to leave our doors/windows closed because it was not at all private and did not feel secure. We asked to be changed rooms, and the front desk worker (Anette, I believe) was not warm or understanding. She did show us a couple of other rooms, but they had worse views and were not any better or more secure feeling. She told us she would reduce our rate, but what I really wanted was to have an ocean view room that was more secure.

On top of that, the heater in our room was broken and every time it came on during the night, it made a high pitched squealing noise, waking us up all through the night. The pillows were also not comfortable and I now have a horrible headache.

We won't be staying here again, sadly. It's hard to think about paying over $500 to have a room that does not feel secure and where we can't get the rest and relaxation we were hoping for.

• Stayed: February 2013
6  Thank HollyTremblay

Mrs. Tremblay

I am very sorry to read your review. I knew you were having mechanical issues during your stay as both my Director of Engineering and Assistant General Manager discussed the AC unit. I know we cannot change your past stay but please know we have since replaced the AC motor so the unit is operating as new. At time of check out our Assistant General Manager addressed your issues and hopefully to your satisfaction.

Please know the safety and security of our guest is our nubmer one priority so I am sorry that you did not feel secure. All of our rooms are a little different with different views and access but all are equally safe.

Mrs. Tremblay, I would like to repeat the offer from my Assistant General Manager, we hope you and your husband will return and give the Inn another opportunity to serve you on your anniversary.

Reviewed 12 February 2013

My husband, 6 year old daughter and I stayed at the Inn this past weekend and had a marvelous stay! We took full advantage of the heated pool...especially at night under the stars - :) And we really loved hearing and seeing the surf from our room.

The Inn is ideally located but what truly makes a place is the people. And we thank Rachel, Nour and Ekaterina for their special attention in making dinner reservations, suggesting activities, checking us in for our outbound flight and even trying to determine the price of a postcard stamp!

If you like cleanliness, friendliness, attention to detail and want to see/hear the ocean....then we highly recommend the Inn at Laguna Beach. Oh! Our 6 year old also wanted me to make sure I told you that she liked the cucumber water in the morning + the cider/cookies in the evening! Lol! Thanks/Merci!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank EABM9

Dear EABM9

Thank you for your kind review and for mentioning three of our great staff members Ekaterina, Nour and Rachel. I am fortunate everyday to come to work with such a great group of poeple so I am happy that they made an impression on you and your family.

We are so happy you enjoyed the pool and our other amenities like the cucumber water, cider, and cookies. We like to think we have something for everyone so we are glad your 6 year old agrees.

I do hope the next time you are in Laguna for a get away you will look me up as would love to welcome you back to the Inn at Laguna Beach.

Reviewed 4 February 2013

I was in southern California for work and i brought my wife down for a little R&R. We have teenage boys so she deserves a break from them! Anyway, I chose the Inn at Laguna Beach and we were not disappointed.

The location of the Inn is second to none. It is located right on the Pacific Ocean - the Pacific Coast Highway is to the East of us. You are only 3 blocks away from "downtown" Laguna Beach - with all of its quaint shops and restaurants. Laguna Beach is a great get away place which i highly recommend to anyone.

The Inn itself is small and casual. The King sized bed was super comfy and the wireless worked perfectly. We had a balcony over looking the Pacific Ocean and we heard the crashing waves all day and night. The front lobby service was excellent and so was the free tea/coffee and wine tastings (between 5 and 6). However, my favourite thing was the rooftop terrace. We could sit out there, enjoy a meal and/or bevy or two - and watch all of the happenings on the beach. We watched the Superbowl from the rooftop terrace because they brought out a tv onto the deck. Amazing. THe price of our room was close to $300. If it was closer to $200, I would have given this a 5 star rating.

I would definitely recommend the Inn at Laguna Beach.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Silverwoods
Peggy T, General Manager at The Inn At Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Dear Silverwoods

Thank you so much for your review, we welcome all comments as we want to improve our product and services. We like to boost that we have the best walking score in Laguna Beach, at 98, so I am pleased you highlighted our location.

We hope you will visit Laguna Beach again as it is a great year round destination with differennt things to offer depending on the time of year. The next time you are at the Inn please do look me up as I would love to give you a warm Laguna Beach welcome.

Reviewed 2 February 2013

First off - awesome location! Though we rented a car for our weekend in Laguna Beach, the location of the Inn was fantastic. It's near all kinds of shopping and restaurants and it's right on the beach. We had a very nice, spacious King room with Ocean View Deck. Terrific. Yes, this is an older property, but I think the owners have done a really good job updating the rooms. The front desk staff were very welcoming and helpful. And the pool water was literally like bath water! So nice :-) The only two things I think could be improved is (a) having some kind of drinks service available while laying by the pool and (b) I think the room corridors are about ready to have new carpeting and possibly new wallcovering. It's not terrible, but they don't look as good as the rooms. All in all, though, I would definitely recommend the Inn to friends.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KEinSF01
Reviewed 31 January 2013

The only good thing about this hotel was the view. When we checked out on Sunday and got home I realized that I had left my make up mirror behind. A very big make up mirror that spins and magnifys and lights up. I called and left a message the very next day, and didn't hear back from anyone. I called again a week later and finally talked to the man in charge of house keeping. Nothing was noted in their inventory, my mirror was just gone..... this mirror was big and bulky nothing you can just stick in your purse and walk away with. I called and left a message for the general manager, when I didn't hear from her after a week, I called back and her excuse was "Oh I thought that the head of house keeping had taken care of this problem".....Really??? My mirror cost over $60, I could handle if it got thrown away on accident, and I hate to accuse anyone of stealing but come on, there was NO communication. They kept calling me by the wrong name and when I asked for an itemized ledger it took days to get emailed to me. We spent 3 nights there, I expected better service than what I got. They ended up sending me another mirror from Bed Bath and Beyond. Its just unsettling to think that something so big went missing, what about something that could just be looked over and not caught right away. When its time to make your decision choose differently, even if you have to spend a little more, it will be worth it when your stuff doesn't go missing.

Room Tip: Ask about any construction, they were building a new lifeguard station right next door which made a...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Brandi D
Reviewed 31 January 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, our room faced the beach, it was clean and fresh, recently updated and had a perfect balcony with the perfect view of the beach. We were within walking distance of art galleries, shops and many cafes, afew steps from the Laguna Art Museum, very close to everything the town has to offer. The hotel has no restaurant. No free breakfast. Prepare yourself for hotel parking, which costs an additional $30 per day and if you want their Express Breakfast which consists of coffee and cold baking for two (nothing gluten free for my celiac husband) it will set you back $15.00! Our room faced the ocean so we paid a premium price, there is a pedestrian walkway between the notel and the beach but it was far enough away that it wasn't invasive. I don't know what the noise is like for those facing the highway. We'll be saving our pennies to stay here next time we come to Laguna.

Room Tip: Ocean facing rooms are fantastic, at a premium price, be prepared to hear the crashing waves!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Roadrunnergo
Peggy T, General Manager at The Inn At Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2013

Dear Roadrunnergo

Thank you for you review reagrading your recent stay. Feedback is very important to the Hotel as it is a positive way to assess our guests needs, I am sorry that we were not able to accomodate your husband who has celiac on this stay. The next time you visit please let the Front Desk or Reservations know about your husbands condition and we will purchase a gluetin free muffin so you and your husband can enjoy coffee and muffins on the balcony over looking the Pacific Ocean.

Thank you again for you review please look me up the next time you stay at the Inn at Laguna Beach as I would love to welcome you back!