“Just as magical second time”

The Inn At Laguna Beach
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas
“Just as magical second time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

My husband and I had such a wonderful stay at the Inn at Laguna Beach last summer and another couple joined us for a repeat visit. They were wowed too! The beautiful room with balcony overlooking the beach, the attentive staff, the fabulous location; I could go on and on. Even the subtle fresh aroma in the room. The morning coffee bar, the afternoon rooftop wine and munchies, binoculars in the room, the free beach chairs, umbrellas, and towels- every detail made it lovely.
We walked or rode the trolley to fabulous shopping, dining, Festival of the Arts and Pageant of the Masters, the Laguna Playhouse. We rented bicycles from Laguna Cyclery and rode along the beach at Crystal Cove State Park. Perhaps the highlight was lunch at the Beachcomber. Grilled artichokes, roasted sweet corn on the cob!
Every time we mention our stay at the Inn at Laguna Beach we have more friends that want to go. A dreamy 4 days.

Room Tip: we requested a king bed, ocean view, balcony and both times they were wonderful
Green Features: we appreciated the hotel's care for the environment
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Peggy T, General Manager at The Inn At Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear 6nana

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your recent visit to The Inn at Laguna Beach. From the sounds of it you experienced all that Laguna ahs to offer, from our arts to our beaches.

Thank you so much for noticing our touches each year we try to add more services that our guest will enjoy so I am happy that you noticed the changes.

We hope to see you again next year, thank you so much for choosing The Inn at Laguna Beach.

Peggy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Houston, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We just returned from several days in LA followed by several days in Laguna. We always enjoy escaping the Texas heat and humidity in California. We have been to LA several times, but this was our first stay in Orange County. We loved most everything about Laguna and the Inn at Laguna Beach.

One thing I found surprising was how much shopping there was! From what I had read, I expected art galleries and restaurants, but I didn't realize how many boutiques there were! We live in Houston, so when we go on vacation I love to shop at boutiques that we don't have back home. There were tons of cute shops and unique great restaurants.

The Inn at Laguna was a great choice for us. The location is awesome, right on the beach and within very easy walking distance of the shops, Starbucks across the street, and ice cream within 2 minutes. We stayed in one of the 2 suites because we have 2 teenagers and needed the space and fold out sofa. Our room was really pretty, top floor, corner wrap around balcony. They came by each afternoon and served tea, which was super cute. There was also wine in the evening on the terrace and cookies in the lobby. All of the staff are super friendly and accommodating.

My complaints are small, and really probably beyond much of their control, but just so you are aware. I wish there would have been a hotel restaurant/bar. The pool is small and crowded. There is a glass wall around the pool, but the view to the ocean/beach from the pool is blocked by bushes. Last, there is a ton of seaweed on the beach. And the seaweed has some flying bugs all around it. It didn't seem to bother people. I heard that CA law prohibits them from being able to clean it off the beach. I'm not sure about this, but my husband and daughter drove a little ways down to boogie board, and there was no seaweed on the beach they found. You could smell it from our balcony, which was a little yucky. But let me just end this by saying, I am very particular when it comes to hotels, and overall I thought Inn at Laguna was great. I would definitely return.

2 Thank CKTM
Dear CKTM

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to The Inn at Laguna Beach. We learn from all comments positive and negative as we are continuously trying to improve our products and service.

It sounds like you were really able to enjoy Laguna Beach, we do think we have a great location as you can walk to so many shops, restaurants, art galleries, and beaches. If you can not walk we also have the Free Trolley which can get you from Laguna Beach to Dana Point.

As I said we are always looking at improving and this year we are doing a lot of research in regards to a restaurant and bar. This may be something in the future or we may decide that we cannot make it work, but comments like your certainly help. As far as the Seaweed (kelp) 7 1/2 miles of Laguna's coastline is Marine Protected which means we also protect the kelp and the Grunion. I know you can find some beaches without kelp and this is because the locals homes or businesses to choose to ignore the restrictions or the way the tides work they do not have as many kelp beds off there beach. We do work with the City and when it is allowed the City will clean the beach and remove the kelp. I am really sorry it bothered you this stay.

We do hope to see you next year when you want to get our of the Houston heat and humidity. Please look me up so I can give you a warm welcome back.

Monterey, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

The Inn at Laguna Beach has amazing views. The hotel is great and the service is even better. Gary B went out of his way to accommodate us. We couldn't ask for any more.... Highly recommend this as a romantic getaway or for a business conference.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Vikram M

Thank you so much for your comments regarding The Inn at Laguna Beach. I am fortunate everyday to work with Gary, he is such a professional.

We look forward to your next visit, thank you for your business

Hinsdale, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

We'd stayed here a number of years ago and had a good experience, so were really looking forward to returning this trip. Unfortunately for us, we ended up in the worst accommodations on the property - small room, facing the parking lot on the parking lot level, and noisy/drafty air conditioning system in the room. We paid for the accommodations via American Express points, and based on our past experiences, this practice can be "catch as catch can" but when I booked these accommodations - about 45 days out via American Express Membership Rewards - I was not told of this category of room. It was my understanding that there are three categories of room: premium ocean view, mid-level ocean view and "standard" rooms. I booked the reservation knowing that we were going to be in a "standard" room - not a room that was bottom-of-the-barrel. I assumed that our room would basically be non-ocean view. We asked if we could upgrade when we checked in and were told nothing was available. Again - we understand that, just don't agree with being charged $400 per night for an unsatisfactory room.

When we arrived on property, I posted a comment - very fact-based about this misrepresentation of the room category - on Facebook, which was promptly deleted with no response. As a marketing communications professional, I know that this is a very bad social media practice. As I write, I have a voicemail message in to the General Manager of the property and will be interested in hearing back from her. My AMEX Membership Rewards account was charged at a rate equivalency of $400 per night for four nights. If my "parking-lot-special" room were at $99, I'd have no issue. Being assessed at a high-end hotel price point, even with AMEX points, is just unacceptable. Moral of the story? Be sure you have a specific description of the room that you'll get so you're not disappointed and over-charged as we are.

The property itself is lovely - great location, on-premise parking, immediately adjacent to the main beach. Just make them guarantee a room location before you hand over the credit card number.

Room Tip: Make them tell you EXACTLY where the room is - or, which rooms are available in your date range. Do...
7 Thank SusanDMcLeod
Dear SusanDMcleod

Thank you for your comments and even more so thank you for taking the time out of your vacation to talk to me, we certainly appreciate your comments as they will only help us improve our products and service. As we discussed I was just as confused and a little more upset how our entry level room was being sold via an OTA (on line Travel Agent), since our conversation I have had my VP of revenue audit and make the appropriate changes. Once again I am extremely sorry.

I would also like to apologize for your facebook post as we discussed as soon as I directed my Marketing Manager to unhide your post we did, I am truly sorry as we were not trying to hide or ignore anything.

I look forward to having you and your family back next year. We want to make sure your Vacation gets off to the right start and you are able to enjoy start to finish.

Thank you again for your comments and for your business
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We came to this hotel based on location & a great room rate. It was my birthday weekend, so we were looking for something close to the beach & city. I was very happy with everything the hotel offered, as well as the grounds and employees. Everything was clean & well kept. The roof top lounge area was a fantastic spot for photos and looking out at the beach & city. I highly recommend this hotel if you're visiting the Laguna area. You will not be disappointed! We will DEFINITLEY be back!

P. S. - While out in Laguna, we checked the location for the other more expensive hotels & knew we made the right choice when we realized that the Inn at Laguna Beach had the BEST location!

Stayed June 2014
Dear CKBOW

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent visit to The Inn at Laguna Beach. You touched on a couple of our greatest assets our people and our location. We are honored you celebrated your Birthday with us as we know you have many choices and we appreciate you choose us.

We certainly look forward to your next visit we hope to see you before your next birthday otherwise we look forward to celebrating with you next year.

Glendale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is the 3rd consecutive summer our family has spent at the Inn and it was so nice to see the familiar faces of the terrific staff...several remembered us by name from previous visits. The property is meticulously maintained and the location overlooking the ocean, beach and community is ideal. Each year we discover new shops and restaurants (locally owned) within walking distance of the hotel. The Heiser Park walkway along the ocean provides spectacular views. We paddle boarded and snorkeled this year at the intimate beaches just minutes from the Inn. But what keeps us coming back is the service...we're treated like family. From Annette, Jon and Will at the front desk to the asst GM Demi, to Drew the bellman...we always feel so welcomed. The only thing we missed were the Adirondack chairs just outside the lobby for ocean views. We have thought about going to a different location each summer, but always come back to the Inn. Thank you all for such a wonderful stay and memorable family vacation!

Room Tip: Spend a little extra for the ocean view rooms.
Dear Steve M

Thank you for your comment and your continued patronage at The Inn at Laguna Beach. We really appreciate that you and your family continue to return and we hope to see you and your family next Summer. I am happy to see you were able to enjoy Paddle Boarding and Snorkeling, 7 1/2 miles of Laguna Beach Coastline are a Marine Protected Area which makes us a great place for an underwater playground.

Thank you again for staying with us, please look me up on your next visit as I would love to give you a warm welcome back.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

This fabulous hotel is right above the beach with a beautiful view along the coast. Parking under the hotel is free, and very convenient via elevator to check in and rooms. Our room overlooked carpark but was quiet, well maintained and comfortable. Staff were pleasant and helpful. We didn't try the pool but it's delightful. We ate out, but liked how the hotel provided food and drinks with a view. This place is within walking distance to great restaurants and local attractions. Highly recommended - even for a cheaper road-side room!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Frequent Frier

Thank you for your comments after your recent visit to The Inn at Laguna Beach. I agree with you about our location we do believe we are perfectly situated. You truly can leave your car parked once you arrive

Thank you again, we hope to see you in the future