“Your personal beach house with staff”
Review of Surf & Sand Resort

Surf & Sand Resort
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed 6 October 2011

The Surf and Sand is like having your personal beach house right on the water and having it fully staffed. We had a wonderful time. We enjoyed the food, had a nice room (Surfside King) so close to the water that they provide earplugs if you think the surf is too loud. It's not cheap, but it is a wonderful experience. Guys, this is a real "wife pleaser". We will definitely be back soon.

The only negative is poor cell reception (Verizon), but I was not there to talk on the phone and answer e-mails so no problem.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 September 2011

I bought a night here on Luxury Link for $400. It was worth every penny. (Note sure it would be worth the usual $600...) We paid for a Surfside King but we were upgraded to a better view. Our room was in the building away from the pool...so no noise from the pool as some reviews have complained about.

We thought about going out to dinner but then we realized we could not beat the view so we ordered room service. The portions were large and the scallops and shrimp both terrific. We also had room service for breakfast. The waffle was disappointing but the French toast terrific.

Our room was large with a daybed that looked out on the surf and comfortable rattan furniture on the balcony.

The service was flawless. Everyone went the extra mile.

And the star of the show was of course the ocean, with the sound of the surf giving me a great night's sleep.

I'll be back!

Room Tip: Away from the pool!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Beautiful setting in picturesque Laguna Beach, CA.
Charming and comfortable rooms and great service!
Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We loved this hotel. Family of 4, two teens. Great setting, literally right on the beach. The rooms were well appointed and even the lounge furniture on the deck was lovely. Extra special features were the cozy robes and blankets on the beds. Understated elegance. The pool deck is very chic, but chairs are hard to get. Offered beach service and complimentary chairs which is really outstanding. Food was excellent. Overall a must stay hotel and well priced.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My favorite part about this hotel is the restaurant. Absolutely the best dinner and breakfast I've had in a while, and I eat out in 4-5 star restaurants all the time.

The location of the restaurant is pretty as well - you can sit on the patio right on the beach overlooking the sunset.

Laguna Beach has a beautiful ocean shore, so the view is lovely.

The hotel itself is nice. Although our room was right over the pool, which I didn't enjoy due to lack of privacy and much noise. They were full and couldn't move us, and in exchange they offered us a free breakfast. Fortunately it was not a special occasion so the bad location of the room wasn't a huge deal. I recommend getting there early on your check in day to secure a better room. My friends checked in two hours before me and got top floor / ocean view rooms bigger and nicer than mine - for the same price.

Overall our stay was pleasant. Delicious food, beautiful views, nice clean beach, and the decor of the room was serene.

The pros:
- our puppy could stay in our room! (But was not allowed on the beach or in the outdoor part of the restaurant, so she was confined to the room the whole stay)
- fantastic food
- pretty beach

The cons:
- only shower in the bathroom (I'm a bath girl and any resort escape should have a nice bath to relax in)
- rooms in the tower above the pool get noise from the pool and view is obstructed by the pool.
- luckily the room was paid for by my boss - I think the rates are overpriced, especially for the room I had - a reasonable price would have been $200 max.

Room Tip: Check in early
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kayamaya
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We spent two nights here middle of August and absolutely loved it! I have never had a room so close to the ocean before - it felt like we were on top of it!
There's no air conditioning in the rooms, but it isn't needed - leave your balcony doors open and get the ocean breeze!
Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Concierge recommended amazing Italian restaurant within walking distance of the hotel.
For a stay in Laguna this hotel is in a great location - you can walk up the beach into the town and walk back along the road for some interesting shops & coffee stops.
The water was very rough and cold when we were there but i think this is normal. For some better boogie boarding waves and surfing we found the beach in Laguna Niguel at the bottom of the Ritz Carlton to be the best.

Room Tip: Ask for overlooking ocean away from pool!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank EnglishinCanada
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I stayed at the Surf & Sand for a weekend in 8/11 w 2 of my closest friends for an early birthday celebration, & we had a very nice time, but it just was not worth the price. We stayed in a 2 BR penthouse suite, which was actually a 1 BR penthouse suite w an adjoining single room. This was not the suite that I had actually reserved, but that turned out not to be an issue or a problem, though I think that they should have at least informed me of this change, & this was not the first time that this has happened to me at the Surf & Sand. The maid locked me out of my room by locking the door between it & the living room, which was very, very annoying. The front desk staff initially gave me keys for the single room, & not the suite, which didn't exactly start the weekend on a good note. The panoramic ocean view was absolutely amazing! But they played extremely loud, booming techno/dance music at the pool below, & we could also hear the screaming kids in the pool, which wasn't quite so amazing. There were several suites in the adjacent building with very large lanais that were immediately next to our lanai, so it wasn't all that private or intimate, which was disappointing considering that the room cost over $1400 per night (with taxes). My overall impression was that the staff/management don't pay attention to the details, which one would expect from a hotel in this price range. Oh, & I was in a rush when we checked out & forgot my Sonicare toothbrush, & when I called the front desk after I'd checked out, the staff member was rather brusque. I did promptly receive a call from the Security later that night, & it was sent back to me within a few days, but they charged me ~$20 to ship it. One might think that after spending >$3000 for a weekend at their hotel that they might have been more gracious? Oh well, guess not!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends