“Ambiance +”

Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Conyers, Georgia
“Ambiance +”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Located on the Beach! First rate rooms; Spacious, excellent amenities, and crashing waves as background. Staff is excellent in all aspects of service. Resort is very accommodating and very easy to work with.
Splashes Restaurant is very appealing. Great view of Beach, sea breeze, interesting style in table setting. They have plenty of heater for those chilly Days and Nights. Good choices on Menu of meals and cocktails.
Be aware long walk to Laguna Beach Central, but lots to see and do on way. Check-in is at 4:00pm a little late? This Resort is awesome and you will enjoy!

Room Tip: All rooms are great! Lower the level, more crashing waves.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
San Clemente, California
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Years ago, my husband and I came to California from Atlanta for a business trip. On the last day, we came down to the Surf & Sand Resort. We had lunch and spent the day at the resort and walking on the beach. The service, friendliness of the staff and food were terrific. The location is incredible. We had such a fantastic and wonderful day, when my husband was asked to transfer to California, we immediately said yes! Thank you, Surf & Sand for changing my life! It is truly a very special place.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Susan_Traveler33012
JCResortsMarketing, Public Relations Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
That's wonderful Susan! We're so happy to have made a positive impact on you and your husband's story! I will share with our staff =)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This is a nice hotel at a great location. I'm guessing its the most expensive resort to stay at in the area. Despite a nice view and easy beach access, the lack of air conditioning makes it unreasonable for the price. In the summer months, you must keep a fan on and the windows open to stay reasonably comfortable. This leads to a very noisy night given the waves constantly crashing just outside the window. Its hard to enjoy yourself when you're struggling to fall asleep due to extreme heat an noise. They do provide ear plugs but, again, at the prices they charge air conditioning is not too much to ask for. Stay only during late fall to early spring.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kamimoni
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Fabulous views of the ocean make a stay at Surf and Sand completely relaxing. On top of that the service is excellent, -- the perfect balance of friendliness and professionalism - from every employee from valet, to reception, restaurant host and waiter as well as the spa personnel. I recommend the resort very highly.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Laguna Hills, California
Reviewed 26 January 2014

excellent service, beautiful property by the ocean, room ammenities are just right, mini service bar has great selections to chose from.
room service menu is just perfect, i you like wine and cheese you will not be disappointed, cheese selection is good

Room Tip: if you really like the sound of waves at night then stay right at the bottom of the hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 23 January 2014

A yearly pilgrimage from San Diego to this fine resort during the Christmas -New Year holiday season is an absolute must. The rooms are very spacious and well-appointed -each one featuring a panoramic ocean view and replete with just about every amenity you can think of...even nightly turn-down service. The staff is friendly and efficient and the service first-rate. We just love the atmosphere and overall ambiance and consider this fine establishment a "home away from home".

Room Tip: There really isn't a bad room in this resort.....all rooms have are blessed with a magnificent o...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charles B
Montreal
Reviewed 22 January 2014

First class from start to finish.

Check in experience: Seamless. Valets greeted cars, took baggage. Lovely reception area, well appointed, seashell color and decor. Our room was not far – room 338. Not a plus that we needed to lift our heavy baggage a few times over one step or a short flight of stairs to get to our room. We had the option of having a porter bring it to our room, but I am conditioned to take my own. If I was less able, I would not have been able to manage this on my own. I like to be able to manage on my own. For those who this is important, it should be mentioned upon arrival.

Room: Beautiful décor, again in the soothing seashore colour décor, soft beiges, whites, coral decorative touches. The balcony gave out onto the nearby sandy beach, palm trees, an amazing Mykonos blue swimming pool and bar with stand-up paddles in the distance. There were mornings when we watched dolphins, California grey whales, Canada geese (reminded me of home), pelicans. We had three chairs to relax on and a nice table. The wall of glass facing the Pacific ocean view could be covered with a wall of shutters when needed.
All appointments were there, including safety deposit box, iron, ironing board, hair dryer, lovely postcards, etc. We never did use the mini bar. Hotel-branded mini-chocolates made a good gift to bring back to my son. And worth noting: I love their very slim pen. It went away with me in my purse, and I made it through my trade show with it – loved how slim it was. Must I go back again for a pen??? That is my excuse and I am sticking to it.

Restaurant: Splashes is the restaurant. Stunning views of the beach, with open windows and a lovely breeze. I could not stop taking photos of the sunsets, as could other guests, while we were having a drink. Incredible setting. I did not feel like it could get better than this. Have the mohito. For breakfast, I had the O.C. breakfast, which was tasty and healthy, and the heuvos rancheros, an interesting take on this recipe. One of the things that I loved about this restaurant was the little nooks and crannies, some tables outside, some inside, one with a fireplace. For outdoor tables, there are numerous outdoor heaters. An idyllic place to eat near the beach. Very competent, friendly service.

The beach: This is the star feature of this hotel. The beach is not across the street or a trip down the road – this hotel is ON the beach. It is a few steps down from the restaurant, it is a view down from the room’s balconies, no obstacles to view. Well, a few palm trees, but they are lovely to look at as well and makes for a great picture. The sand is beautiful, one can walk down the beach without shoes for a distance. There are lovely houses built into the cliff, and a wonderful photo opportunity in a rock formation that frames a photo, and a staircase planted into the cliff which makes for a wonderful picture. For those who are looking to swim, the Pacific in these parts can be notoriously cold, colder than many spots I have ventured into. Bring your wet suit. I loved watching the stand up paddlers in the distance – I noticed a stores with lessons, rentals, etc. not too far away. Maybe next time.

Etc.: An area to relax or meet up is just off the reception area and features lovely fire pits and fireplaces. Lounging here with a nice drink, looking at the ocean: it does not get much better than that.

We took a little shopping spree by walking down the street, heading towards the Laguna Beach lighthouse. Lots of art galleries and boutiques. Great surprises and nice sales to be found in clothes. Once we reached the lighthouse area, we got a coffee at Starbucks, and headed to the beach, took off our shoes and headed back to our hotel by the beach.

Coffee in the morning: Our room did not have an in-room coffee maker. Instead there is a coffee station that is laid out quite early downstairs. For those who wish to have a little something to knosh, there is a tiny snack shop to pick up a pastry.

Stores: A cute little store is located not far from the relaxing fire pit area. Good souvenirs, lounging clothes, necessities. This shop has lots of nice things.

Pool: Lovely pool with lots of loungers. Sticker shock on the bar prices: 2 mohitos set us back about $30. We had a lovely rest here on a Saturday afternoon. There was a wedding party moving throughout the hotel; I could see at least two other couples sitting with event planners. The first night we were there, we could not enter the pool area. Just from our small time there, there was evidence of quite a bit of wedding activity.

Would I stay at this hotel again? In a heart beat.

Room Tip: We were on a lower floor looking over the pool. The sound of the waves did not bother me, but it mig...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business