“Oceanfront Splendor”
Review of Surf & Sand Resort

Surf & Sand Resort
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed for a quick seaside getaway and were not disappointed. It is pricey but the view, location and service are top notch. First - the view - our room was in the tower with an ocean view, Lovely décor and amenities. Free Wi-Fi; nice sized balcony where we could see swimmers, divers, paddle boarders and the sunset; all this along with the rhythmic sound of the waves made us feel like we were far away from home and work.

Next - Location. In my opinion the location is PERFECT. It is right on the beach. While it's not on downtown/main beach, it's walking distance to some of my favorite places in Laguna, for example, K'Ya bistro (LOVE this place - food is unique but not weird and delicious, e.g., lobster risotto is so so good), the Rooftop Lounge, Mozambique restaurant (awesome live music several nights per week and Reggae Sunday afternoons) as well as shops. There is a trolley that will take you up and down the highway if you want to go into downtown or down to the Montage, Aliso Creek Golf course, etc. This is one of those resorts where you do not have to get in your car the whole time. Spa is relatively small but it is fabulous, the patio bar/cafe is solid, on-site shop has nice selection of gifts and sundries, and the upscale Splashes restaurant and bar is great (right on the sand, great ocean view, good food and bar offerings.)

Lastly - the service. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived at around 4:00 p.m. so they gave us 4 tickets for beverages. We sat on the patio and enjoyed wine and a cocktail with the fabulous view. The delay getting into the room was no big deal because free drinks with a view does not suck! Everyone was attentive and trained to give first class service from the bell, to the valet, front desk and housekeeping.

I'm planning to come back again. And again!

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are also ocean view just not as close to the sand. You can hear the surf pounding ou...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 May 2014

My wife and 11 year old son joined me for a four day stay. It was our first stay in the area and could not have been more relaxing. We stayed on the fourth floor and was fascinated by the sound of the ocean. It may be too much for some but was quite tranquil to us being from North Oakland County, MI. The food from room service was as good or better than actually in the restaurant. Our server set the table out on the balcony. Just was a splendid stay. We will absolutely be back to stay again this year I hope.

Room Tip: Lower room really has the fell of sleeping ON the ocean beach.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We have recently returned from five days in The Surf & Sand. We were originally allocated room 317 which I have to say along side room 318 must be the worst rooms in the hotel, so when you check in if you are given these rooms save yourself a journey. After complaining, they couldn't move us that night but did the following into The Tower block. It was like being in a different hotel - room was bigger, better furnished and the view was spectacular. The only complaint was that the sound proofing is really, really poor.... We were awoken by the couple next door 'rutting' like they were on a film set at 10.27pm, 1.20am and 4.46am. They then followed this with a lengthy dialogue. Clearly a newly formed relationship for obvious reasons. I appreciate it is relative but we could hear everything - having to explain to the children who woke and asked 'what's that noise' was challenging. They do provide you with complimentary ear plugs - not sure whether this is to block out the ocean or the neighbours. Overall great setting on the beach, great location, great service but expensive for what you get.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Hettysaunt
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This would be our third visit to the resort in the past Year. We were at another hotel in Laguna Beach last year and were not satisfied with our accommodations or service on our first night there. My daughter and I went on a run and saw the Surf and Sand Resort , went in to check availability. They were wonder, did have availability and even allowed me to see the room they thought would suit our family. We loved it! Right on the beach, beautiful clean rooms and the amenities were just what we were looking for. The pool being right on the beach and the hotel it self not too large entices me. I have a 9 year old and felt very safe having her running back and forth from pool to beach. My teen agers loved it as well. The pool and beach staff were great! Always making sure we had our favorite space on the beach as they set up umbrellas , chairs and towels. They even have beach games games that we were able to use!!

Once we parked we used our car just once or twice. You are able to walk to shopping and restaurants easily and during the summertime there is a bus taking you up and down the PCH.
The use of the Spa was wonderful as well Shower after a day at the beach eliminating bringing sand back to the room, not to mention the wonderful spa services we got!!

We plan on returning this summer again and enjoy the beautiful beach and family time we are able to have. I recommend this resort to many of my friends and clients all the time and hope my review is one that will finalize your thoughts on were to stay in beautiful Laguna Beach!

Room Tip: Well, as I am a very hard one to please with the room and location. We stayed in the beach towers fl...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DanvilleShelli
JCResortsMarketing, Guest Relations Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Shelli,
Thank you very much for reviewing Surf & Sand Resort! We're thrilled to hear how you and your family have enjoyed your stays with us, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

What an incredible night we had at splashes! The view was spectacular, it was like having dinner right on the beach. Our Sommelier Kyle, made the perfect wine and entree pairings. Wonderful vegan options as well as mouth watering short-ribs and Halibut. The service was perfect, relaxed and comfortable, we could have stayed all night. We will be back soon.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Beautiful hotel right on the water. It appeared as though almost every room on the property has an ocean view. Beautiful, clean grounds and friendly staff. Amazing restaurant with ocean views from vitrually every table. Excellent food! We had breakfast, lunch and dinner at Splashes restaurant and each meal was delicious with great service.

The only reason I'm not giving this hotel 5 stars is because we found it to be extremely noisy. We had a hard time sleeping the first night due to the group of teenagers above us. We also tried to take a nap the second day because we hardly slept the first night and it was so nosy with people walking around our room and housekeeping staff working around our room that we couldn't sleep. This would be a difficult hotel to take a baby or small child that needs to nap during the day. I don't know if it's the layout of the hotel or if it's an older building but I don't think I've ever stayed at such a noisy hotel that cost so much money. Maybe it doesn't bother some people but if you are bothered by a lot of noise this is not the hotel for you.

All in all, this is a beautiful hotel with a wonderful restaurant in a great location but be warned about the noise!

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Catalina suites. Extremely noisy!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SaraSanDiego
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed here for a week and felt like I was in heaven. My room was right on the beach and the room was impeccable. Service was very attentive from the valets to bell hops to restaurant staff. I would highly recommend staying here if you are looking for a place to stay in Laguna.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business