“Not bad - but not perfect” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Surf & Sand Resort

Surf & Sand Resort
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Sacramento, California
“Not bad - but not perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

There are probably only a couple weeks throughout the entire year that would require air conditioning in this hotel. Unfortunately, we picked 3 days during these times. It wasn't completely unbearable, but for $500+ per night, I never thought to even check into whether or not they had air conditioning.

They are right on the beach and they also have a pool and hot tub for guest use.

The bathroom was nice, however, the shower was quite small. There was no ventilation fan in the bathroom and it would get quite hot and humid in there while showering.

The beds were very comfortable. Felt more like home rather than a hotel room.

The hotel staff was very nice to us and seemed genuinely happy to see and help us each time.

The sunsets were beautiful each night. You can watch them from the beach, from your balcony, from Splashes (the restaurant), from the pool, or sitting on top of your paddle board out in the middle of the pacific ocean.

And yes, there were waves. And believe it or not, they made sounds. Yes, we could hear the waves crashing on the shore the whole time we were there. And this was great! I can't believe someone would complain (but they did) about the sound of the waves when they booked a room at the SURF and sand. Come on people - this is the Surf and Sand Resort, not the Puddle and Mud Motel.

Parking there is valet only. Or you can leave your vehicle out on the street if you want to take the chance. There are meters for this and you can pay by credit card if you like.

Overall, this is a great place to stay. Just make sure to check the forecast before booking. Like I said, probably only need air conditioning a couple weeks per year there.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor where the hallway was also the way that everyone walked to the bar and...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JonnyPilot2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

My boyfriend and I had two days off at the same time and booked a little getaway at the Surf and Sand. It was PERFECT! We so needed to decompress and relax - to feel like we were actually far away from our home (which btw is about 1 1/2 hours away) - to feel like we were in a luxurious and upscale place. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. We already booked the same room for August. This place is amazing. Whether you like the pool or the beach - both were so easy and low maintenance. The beach was SOOOOOO LOW MAINTENANCE. A staff member Kyle helped he out - brought me two beach chairs, towels, and an umbrella. I also was nursing an ankle injury and every hour or so would bring me a bag of ice to ice my ankle. He was so great and I didn't have to lift a finger. The beach was pristine and my BF and I swam in the ocean. I read magazines, people watched and DID NOTHING which was exactly what I needed. The hotel is gorgeous.

Room Tip: We didn't use the spa or have breakfast there but I put excellent since everything else was supe...
2 Thank 333MRB333
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stay at the Surf and Sand every opportunity I have when I need a get away; the hotel is right in the middle of Laguna Beach which has wonderful shopping, restaurants and nightlife. However, it may be available but you may never want to leave Surf and Sand to go outside to anything - no reason! The hotel is beachfront; the rooms are fantastic; the pool is unbelievable; their restaurants (and room service) is wonderful and I cannot say enough about the staff and the service. I have stayed in all areas of the hotel; the tower is my favorite but all the rooms are great. I have stayed their with many different people, from friends to family and romantic weekends and never have I had anyone disappointed that I have taken with me.

Room Tip: I love the tower the best but they are all lovely
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Debip
JCResortsMarketing, Guest Relations Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for your review of Surf & Sand! We're so thrilled to hear that you've enjoyed your stays with us, and we look forward to future visits as well!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

This place is RIGHT on the beach in Laguna Beach and the views are awesome. Hotel is very upscale and all the staff were incredibly friendly. Our Ford Focus was quite humble in relation to Mercedes, etc., but staff paid no attention to that. It was a fantastic place to celebrate an 80th birthday!

Room Tip: Might need earplugs if the sound of breaking waves keeps you awake and you like the window open...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed for a quick seaside getaway and were not disappointed. It is pricey but the view, location and service are top notch. First - the view - our room was in the tower with an ocean view, Lovely décor and amenities. Free Wi-Fi; nice sized balcony where we could see swimmers, divers, paddle boarders and the sunset; all this along with the rhythmic sound of the waves made us feel like we were far away from home and work.

Next - Location. In my opinion the location is PERFECT. It is right on the beach. While it's not on downtown/main beach, it's walking distance to some of my favorite places in Laguna, for example, K'Ya bistro (LOVE this place - food is unique but not weird and delicious, e.g., lobster risotto is so so good), the Rooftop Lounge, Mozambique restaurant (awesome live music several nights per week and Reggae Sunday afternoons) as well as shops. There is a trolley that will take you up and down the highway if you want to go into downtown or down to the Montage, Aliso Creek Golf course, etc. This is one of those resorts where you do not have to get in your car the whole time. Spa is relatively small but it is fabulous, the patio bar/cafe is solid, on-site shop has nice selection of gifts and sundries, and the upscale Splashes restaurant and bar is great (right on the sand, great ocean view, good food and bar offerings.)

Lastly - the service. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived at around 4:00 p.m. so they gave us 4 tickets for beverages. We sat on the patio and enjoyed wine and a cocktail with the fabulous view. The delay getting into the room was no big deal because free drinks with a view does not suck! Everyone was attentive and trained to give first class service from the bell, to the valet, front desk and housekeeping.

I'm planning to come back again. And again!

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are also ocean view just not as close to the sand. You can hear the surf pounding ou...
MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

My wife and 11 year old son joined me for a four day stay. It was our first stay in the area and could not have been more relaxing. We stayed on the fourth floor and was fascinated by the sound of the ocean. It may be too much for some but was quite tranquil to us being from North Oakland County, MI. The food from room service was as good or better than actually in the restaurant. Our server set the table out on the balcony. Just was a splendid stay. We will absolutely be back to stay again this year I hope.

Room Tip: Lower room really has the fell of sleeping ON the ocean beach.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

We have recently returned from five days in The Surf & Sand. We were originally allocated room 317 which I have to say along side room 318 must be the worst rooms in the hotel, so when you check in if you are given these rooms save yourself a journey. After complaining, they couldn't move us that night but did the following into The Tower block. It was like being in a different hotel - room was bigger, better furnished and the view was spectacular. The only complaint was that the sound proofing is really, really poor.... We were awoken by the couple next door 'rutting' like they were on a film set at 10.27pm, 1.20am and 4.46am. They then followed this with a lengthy dialogue. Clearly a newly formed relationship for obvious reasons. I appreciate it is relative but we could hear everything - having to explain to the children who woke and asked 'what's that noise' was challenging. They do provide you with complimentary ear plugs - not sure whether this is to block out the ocean or the neighbours. Overall great setting on the beach, great location, great service but expensive for what you get.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family