Surf & Sand Resort
Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa(Laguna Beach)(Great Value!)
US$328
US$298
Laguna Beach House(Laguna Beach)(Great Value!)
US$329
  • Pool
The Ranch at Laguna Beach(Laguna Beach)(Great Value!)
US$353
US$341
The Inn At Laguna Beach(Laguna Beach)(Great Value!)
US$349
US$333
  • Pool
Laguna Beach Lodge(Laguna Beach)
US$130
La Casa del Camino(Laguna Beach)(Great Value!)
US$239
US$227
Travelocity
US$298
US$214
  • Pool
The Tides Laguna Beach(Laguna Beach)(Great Value!)
US$182
US$177
Orbitz.com
Montage Laguna Beach(Laguna Beach)
US$951
US$909
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
Crescent Bay Inn(Laguna Beach)(Great Value!)
US$274
US$265
Travelocity
1,851 results
All reviewssplashes restauranttower roomthere is no air conditioningsound of the wavesprovide ear plugsceiling fanhigh tideocean frontthe pacific oceanturn down servicefalling asleepbeautiful resortbeautiful roomspecial occasionamazing locationthe ritzsouthern california
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 August 2014

One of the first things you spot in your very spacious and comfortable room is a set of earplugs with a message that the hotel's greatest asset is also it's noisiest. Slide open the balcony windows and you have the ocean on your doorstep - a truly fabulous setting. However, given the lack of air-conditioning in the room (a bit of a surprise given the quality of the hotel), we assumed that sleeping with the windows open wouldn't be a problem. Wrong - the breaking waves make an absolute racket making it impossible to get a peaceful night's sleep. Sleeping with the windows closed (which turns the ocean sounds into very soothing) isn't an option either as the room gets too hot and stuffy. There is an overhead fan that makes a small difference if you keep it on full speed the whole time - the problem is that you run the risk of losing a hand (or arm) if you lift your hands above your head in the middle of the room! Lastly we would have expected to have coffee/tea making facilities in the room for the convenience of guests. Criticisms aside, the hotel is great and the staff, especially at the concierge desk, are really friendly and helpful. They gave us great advice on really good non-resort golf courses (Arroyo Trabuco and Oak Creek in particular) which we thoroughly enjoyed playing - definitely better value for money than the very pricey nearby resort courses. Food at the hotel was excellent, especially at Splashes, which has the added advantage of it's great setting.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dudleyfields1
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Good location ,wonderful staff .No sleep due to no air con in the rooms ,the heat was un bearable . You are provided with a fan ,which is not only loud but makes little difference . We were not informed about the hotel having no air con even though we booked direct .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank Karen B
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Splurge for an oceanfront room in the tower for one of the best sweeping views of the CA coastline you will ever see. The rooms are nice and bright and well appointed. One drawback is the lack of air conditioning, though the ocean breeze is pretty good for the most part. I would still prefer AC for sleeping. The pool is quite nice though it can get crowded. Valet service was a bit slow and I could not check in until almost exactly 4:00pm, but I still did get to my room by 4:00pm so I guess I can't complain. The location is superb but some of the foot traffic in the hallways is heavy and the hotel has a "busy feel" to it, but then so does Laguna Beach in general. I can't rate this property as excellent and I think it is a stretch to do so.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank TOWestonCT
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Surf and Sand

"Tale of Two Cities"

A question I never thought I would ever ask at a hotel...especially one costing $800/night..."is there air conditioning?" Well, the answer at Surf & Sand is NO...."we are an open air property" was the response I got when I asked how to turn on the AC. By the way, don't look for ANY evidence of this in advance. It's a "secret" until you get there! There is no mention on the web site, not mentioned when reserving the room, not disclosed at check in...NO MENTION until you too finally ask someone how to turn on AC when you enter your stifling hot summer room. My second clue (first clue was overwhelming heat) should have been when I saw the ear plugs. Why would you need earplugs in $800/night hotel room? Well, its because you have to open all the doors to the crashing ocean all night so you don't die of heat stroke.

Personally, had I known, I would have gone elsewhere. Which is why I call this the "bait and switch". I laughed throughout the course of my stay listening and watching others as discovered this little "pearl"...some went berserk.

So, why "Tale of Two Cities"? Well, the views are phenomenal (if ocean front). Staff are exceptional and really try hard. They are very helpful, friendly and responsive. When I complained to the front desk manager about AC, he discounted our first night by 50%. Nice, but I was still miserable during the day and when getting ready to go out at night. At night it was comfortable with doors opened.

Food is really good..rooms are very nice (at least on 9th floor)..not Temperpedic quality on mattress, but ok. Views are awesome. Beach is right there...nice breeze at night to offset humid hot room during day. Very centrally located and convenient.

What upset me the most...was Surf and Sand not being transparent about AC. Not giving me the choice to decide.

Bottom line...I need AC and I do not like the fact it was never disclosed. Perhaps if we had read Trip Advisor reviews in advance we would have known!

That said, there is much that makes it very good there...just figure out if you can deal with AC and noise level before getting there. Hence the lower rating.

Advise to owners...try honesty. It goes a long way in most businesses.

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Michael B
Joanna B, General Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Michael,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, and I appreciate your comments about our exceptional staff, beachfront location and dining at Splashes Restaurant. I am disappointed to hear that the lack of AC negatively impacted your experience and would love another opportunity to have you back during cooler climate conditions.

Please feel free to call me directly at 949-376-2759 or jbear@jcresorts.com.

Joanna Bear
Resort Manager

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I will recommend it to anyone!! We stayed at this amazing Resort one night as a get away with the kids. From the front desk receptionists to the restaurant staff to the great ocean view rooms. Every one was very nice and courteous! We had an amazing time. Loved the fact that the hotel is right on the beach!!

Room Tip: Rooms close to parking and very easy beach access
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family