“Amazing view”

Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Riverside, California
“Amazing view”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I stayed the weekend at the Surf and Sand Resort for our anniversary, and we had such an amazing time!!! The location is beautiful, you are right on the beach!!! On our anniversary when we came in our room there was champaign, chocolate covered strawberries and a card for us!!! I thought that was very thoughtful of the hotel staff!!!

Room Tip: You can look at the ocean while lying in your bed!!! It's amazing.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Starting with location, perfect choice. Direct access to one of the most beautiful beaches, unbelievable views.. all right from your balcony. The ease of access to restaurants and shops also adds to the location. There is a trolley if you don't want to walk the mile down to little downtown area, making things extremely easy and the restaurant choice has great variety, all excellent. What makes the hotel stand out is the open air, I think no air conditioning was a real plus. The rooms, hallways, and restaurant all have an open air feel that just improves the whole beach experience. Last, the staff is what really made us enjoy our holiday. Extremely accommodating and just all around pleasant, really contributes to the relaxing feel of the place and makes for happy guests. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I love Laguna Beach and travel there often. I booked two rooms, one for my parents, and one for myself and my husband with ocean views. They were the same price as the Montage but I figured it would be better to be in town.( I didn't realize that the hotel is actually a mile from the town center.. ) at first glance, the hotel looked like a road side motel, ugly building, carts and trash bins everywhere, dirty staircases. Anyway, you would hope that booking two expensive rooms would mean you would be treated well but we got given two rooms on low levels which meant our "ocean view" was essentially the pool. Reception staff seemed young and inexperienced. The rooms are nice and light but small and the decor is dated and cheap. The pool is small and loud. Access to the beach is great but it is a public beach which was packed with people and their dogs roaming around not on leashes which made the whole experience feel cheap and dirty. The redeaming feature is the restaurant, the food was great, the waiters lovely and the manager went out of his way to accommodate us. I was annoyed to hear a waitress at the table next to us beg her customers to write an online review, she needn't beg, the restaurant was good. One last point was that there was a wedding the night we were there and because you have to keep your sliding doors open for ventilation as there is no AC, you could hear everything until really late so a "relaxing trip" it was not. Oh and the breakfast burrito/pancake station isn't all you can eat, you get charged every time. All in all, I wish I had stayed at the Montage.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank sbell030
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Awesome property and location, I have stayed here several times and at different times of the year and never been unhappy. I have twin boys that love the beach and pool which makes this enjoyable for the whole family

Room Tip: We stayed on the bottom floor so we had immediate access to pool and beach however all rooms are awe...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Beautiful resort on the beach with the surf breaking non stop. Rooms are impeccable, sheets a delight and the bath amenities will make you smile. Splashes restaurant….a view like no other with food to accompany such a beautiful experience. If you love California and the beach/surf - this is a must. Laguna also has many shops and a light airy feel to enjoy!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed 21 August 2014

On August 18, 2014 my son made reservations for my wife and I to enjoy an amazing dinner and night together at the Surf & Sand Resort. We arrived early and the Lobby Staff: Nolan, Marcus, and Rebecca were amazingly helpful. The Surf & Sand literally sits on the sand less than 50 feet from the break water, overlooking the ocean. The sound of the surf while you sleep is incredible. That night we had dinner at the resort restaurant and Nick, Kyle, and Sam made our 35 Anniversary a very special time. I highly recommend the Surf & Sand Resort and restaurant as a must visit for any occasion. My wife and I will definetly be returning soon.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gary F
Reviewed 20 August 2014

While the stay at this resort was lovely, the month following the trip has been HELL! So if you do plan on staying here, you better pray they don't make a mistake because chances are they will not return your calls...I am now having to dispute with the credit card company since apparently they have better things to do then help!

It's really too bad because it's a nice resort...I have never written a review ever, so this is not flagrant in its intent but rather disappointing that I must take it to this level.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business