“Would rather this place doesn't get busier...but they deserve the review!!!”
Review of San Shi Go

San Shi Go
Ranked #66 of 175 Restaurants in Laguna Beach
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Did you ever contemplate not writing a review on a great place because you don't want the restaurant to become more popular than it already is? Well therein lies my quandary as the wait at San Shi Go is already long enough! But what the heck...they deserve a great review!

Located on the top floor of 3-story business/retail building right on Pacific Coast Hwy (about a mile south of downtown Laguna Beach), this sushi-lover's gem is nothing less than delightfully, delectably delicious! The sushi and sashimi is fresh (albeit a tad on the small cut size) and the selection is "Nobu-esque". (if you're sitting at the sushi bar, which I think is a must, be sure to ask the chefs about things not on the menu...like the marinated fish). The amazing food mirrors the wonderful attitude of the staff who are attentive, informative and quite often entertaining. A few of the "senior" sushi chefs are downright hilarious....dishing out dry humor along with their creative delights. Another phenomenon that happens hear (and is rare for protective and litigious population of Orange County) is that we meet new friends while sitting at the sushi bar every time! I think this happens because everyone is happy when they're here...it's all part of the perfect atmosphere made up of good food, good drink and a not-to-fancy environment. This is one of the few places that still reminds me of the way Laguna Beach used to be...full of fun, artsy, diverse and easy going people.

Make a reservation...you'll need it...even for the sushi bar. Enjoy............and think twice before you add another fab review to the roster!!! LOL!!!

2  Thank skitramp

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Funny, when it's a negative review, it can get long. When it's positive, there is not much to say except that everything here is perfect- flawless sushi, fun if you are at the bar and get to talk with one of the chefs, nice atmosphere otherwise. I have been coming here since 2007 and it's consistently been this awesome. AND, the check at the end of the night doesn't even hurt too badly, at all. Just make sure you make a reservation on the weekends or you will have a long wait.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is my favorite sushi place in Laguna! I have lived here for years, and this has become my "go to" sushi place. Great selections, always fresh and the chefs are flat out amazing.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I was with a group of colleagues at a convention in Anaheim and we wanted to try a sushi place. Since we like Laguna Beach, we set our sites there. Queried Sushi / Laguna Beach and this little restaurant popped up. Read some reviews and thought we'd give it a try.

Got to admit, would have passed this place 100 times before I noticed it. Also, was a little interesting just getting to the place. Underground parking, spooky stairs, then another set of stairs (elevator was available but we wanted the exercise). At first glance, not a place to get too excited about. But when we stepped through the doors, it was flat out crowded. Filled with a lot of local folks so we knew we'd chosen well.

Sushi was excellent, but what really appealed beyond the sushi was the extensive menu. Both of my group had steaks and the girl wouldn't shut up about how good it was. "Spectacular" was her description. And, they had Mochi Balls for dessert. You gotta love a place that serves Mochi Balls!

Highly recommend you give this place a try.

Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

We've been going for Sushi for almost 30 years in all the western states incl. Hawaii. Sanshigo is the absolute best, hands down and Uji is the number 1 chef who is popular, always busy and always friendly. He is also clairvoyant; knowing exactly what regulars crave (and he remembers your name.)
Tai (Japanese Snapper,) uniquely prepared with lime, sea salt and peppers, sliced thin would be my choice of last meal. I would die happy if this were my last meal!
Uji also prepares many specialties along with traditional sashimi.
Other favorites include salmon skin salad and hand rolls, the best yellow tail, salmon and tuna which is always fresh every day.
While Sanshigo is popular for locals, they manage well, typically seating everyone quickly and efficiently. There are usually 6 chefs on most times, and many servers waiting to assist you!
We go there at least twice a month and is my son's favorite place when visiting from law school.

1  Thank OC-RaiderFan