“Alessa's in Laguna Great”

Alessa by Chef Pirozzi
Reserve with OpenTable
Alessa by Chef Pirozzi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 178 Restaurants in Laguna Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Arrived on a Friday evening at 6pm without resi's before Laguna Playhouse Theatre. It was jammed but we got an outdoor cramped table, which was great for people watching (Reminded me of cafes in Paris). Too crowded for more than two people, but the food and service are 5-star. The focaccia bread with pesto sauce is spectacular. We shared the ravioli with meatballs, superb. Too warm and crowded to sit inside in the summer.
Best food in Laguna from a local's standpoint.

1  Thank WildcatDad

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our 5:30 reservation didn't get us a table till 5:50.

Ordered immediately, didn't get our meal till 7.

Half the food was burned or uneatable.

Don't go here. You can do MUCH better for the price.

1  Thank Jon D
Reviewed 19 July 2014

After being made to wait for 25 minutes despite a reservation being made 3 weeks in advance we were finally seated only to be given undercooked shellfish. After pointing out to the management how disappointed we were, we were treated with utter rudeness. Obviously this management believes "the customer is always wrong!"

3  Thank Erwinamoo
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I'm giving this a grudging 2 because of the food. The other categories are fine, but after all, we are trying to figure out if we should EAT here. I ate here yesterday.

Positive first. Great lively ambience, wonderful staff. The tables, however, are closer together than in any family restaurant in Italy. Your conversation will be heard so that may appeal to you. See above ambience. However if you are more than California pencil thin, you will have trouble navigating between tables, much less to the back of the restaurant to the restrooms. It was a bit gross to open the door to the restroom and have a waiter shout he was "behind you" with food.

Pizza. I read the TA reviews and thought it can't be this bad. It is. Here's the problem, I think. It's a very tasty extra thin crust. You can't load that crust with a half pound or more of, in my case vegetables, and expect a crisp pizza. It's a soggy, sorry mess in he middle, and I would think a classically trained chef could figure this out. Plus vegetables, even crisp ones like broccoli and asparagus , which are what appeared on my pizza are going to give off steam. A final note, more care has to be taken in choice of vegetables. The broccoli and asparagus have an earthy flavor, which in my opinion, conflicted with whatever sauce was chosen. It seemed like they were just dumping whatever they had leftover on top of the crust.

The dinners might be great, but frankly, pizza needs lots of work. The great staff deserves food to match.

1  Thank Linda1117
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I liked this place quite a bit for a easy and casual dinner. Actually grabbed a spot at the bar since there was a wait. Ordered a Caesar salad and two gluten free pastas all of which were pretty good. I liked the atmosphere most and will likely return next time I am in town.