“Hurray for breakfast!”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Enroute from Los Angeles to San Diego, we searched "best breakfast between ...." This restaurant came up in a Chowhound search in answer to the same question. How right they were! Creative, inventive, not too serious with just the right amount of humor and heat when you want it. First of all, though sorely tempted, we did NOT have the French toast creme brulee!!! My husband chose the barbecued pulled pork, which was plated with a sweet corn bread, an oriental cole slaw, eggs tempura and essence of five spices. I chose the "skillet," of grilled cubed chorizo and potatoes with tomatoes, onions and peppers, melted cheese, guacamole and sour cream, topped with two poached eggs. The coffee was spectacular and the jasmine tea made my husband's meal all the better. The atmosphere was almost serene and most inviting. And, I don't think anyone comes away hungry.

Reviewed 3 September 2012 via mobile

I travel to SoCal at least twice a year to visit my son. I always use tripadvisor to find and try new places to eat. I'm not a fan of "typical" breakfast foods. Break of Dawn is definately not typical. My son and I arrived around 10:30 on a Saturday. We were seated right away. We decided to sit outside since was a beautiful morning. The staff was very attentive. My son had the short rib and bacon mac and cheese w/ eggs. I had the corned beef w/ sweet potato hash and tarragon cabbage. It came w/ two perfectly poached eggs. We also had the iced Vietnamese coffee. Everything was absolutely delicious. It is a little pricey but worth it. I will go again next time I'm down SoCal way.

1  Thank gcsmit
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Read about this restaurant in an inflight magazine coming back from Chicago. Loved the concept and all the reviews I read. Had brunch on Sunday and I have to say thoroughly enjoyed the meal. I ordered the braised short ribs with poached eggs and my wife ordered the eggs with lamb and feta. The flavors were unique and we really enjoyed the food. The ambience is quiet and nestled as everyone has commented in a tucked away location. Pricing was par for the amount served and I would go back. If you are in the area I would give it a try

Reviewed 25 July 2012

This restaurant has totally unusual and excellent food. The menu sounds strange but all the flavors go really well together and I've never had better eggs. Service is great and the restaurant itself is very nice.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Unique little restaurant located in the back ofa local mall area and can be a little tricky to locate which is why mostly locals were present which was nice. They offer a variety of specially prepared breakfast meals not normally found which made it fun and exciting to try. Food was tasty though a feel a little over priced. If you can find it, give it a try. I don't think it is for everyone, but if you are adventurous and will to try something new it is worth a try.