“Once was more than enough!”
Review of Break of Dawn

Break of Dawn
Ranked #10 of 97 Restaurants in Laguna Hills
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My hubby, 11-year-old son and I went this morning - mistake! We won't be back. Their service and food come nowhere near to justifying what they charge for the "experience."

The waiter never smiled, he seemed indifferent to our presence. Like if we came to the restaurant he wouldn't mind, but if we didn't come in again, that would be OK too.

He never checked in during the meal. He never offered me a second cup of coffee, and I couldn't catch his eye when he walked past us a couple times - maybe he didn't want to look our way in case we, heaven forbid, wanted some service? And the place was almost empty!

The 16 dollar French toast was okay - just two thin pieces of bread fancied up a bit with unremarkable flavor. The 8 dollar cinnamon rolls looked great, tasted OK.

If you decide to check it out for yourself, I hope you have a better experience. We usually give a place a second, even third chance, but not this time.

1  Thank kathy j

Reviewed 16 February 2013

The "Break of Dawn" name is accurate if you are still on Hawaiian time since the restaurant opens at 8:00 Pacific time. Be that as it may, there were some hits and misses in my opinion.

Anyone who has spent some time on the islands outside of all inclusive hotels knows the unique breadfast dishes influecnced by Asian, European and mainland immigrations. Rice is a staple at breakfast as well as choritzo. Personally I always enjoy it on my visits and.this reastaurant's breakfast offerings are heavily influencedby the Islands, but no Spam---a Hawaiian staple.
While we did not by any streatch try the whole menue, we did enjoy the Cinimmon Bun covered in very tasty whipped cream, fruit serving and the rice and eggs with a healthy portion of sausage.

The walls are covered with what I would assume to be complimentary restaurant reviews and the tables are utilitarian as befits a Honolulu breakfast spot.

The meals were pricy but attractively presented and quickly served by unsmiling and non-engaging waitpersons. Because of the niche breakfast offerings I am confident that Break of Dawn has its die hard fans. Considering the competition within walking distance, I am struggling to see reasons why we would be more than an occasional diners at best.

Because of the uniqueness of the breakfast offerings we wish the operation continued success with the suggestion of a more cordial welcome. It did indeed feel to all of us that we crashed an invited gathering and dropping sixty bucks for breakfast for four did not give us the password..

Reviewed 28 December 2012

美味可口, 他們的“ Potatoes + Eggs + Avocdo" dish, (Potato Skillet - must have dish ) 簡直好吃得不得了, 還有一味甜點 “ 法國布丁 ” ( Chocalate Cream Brulee - can't miss dish ).....這都是不可錯過的喲!

服務員工態度親切、很適合家庭、朋友一商務、和來這城市旅行者來嚐試。 一家不可錯過好吃的餐廳

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Being open only Thursday through Sunday for breakfast and lunch, the hours mean that locals and serious diners make the trek there.

And well they should - the food is outstanding. Whenever I travel to Southern California, I try to find time to visit with the good friends who introduced me to the place. For me, timing is not the issue, however - it is what to order since the menu offerings all are wonderful. I am particularly fond of the chicken lemon grass. Whatever you might order, consider washing it down with one of their Asian Marys, which is their take on a Bloody Mary done with wasabi twist and served with not only the requisite celery stalk, but a rasher of crisp bacon. Heaven!

1  Thank SARicher
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Enroute from Los Angeles to San Diego, we searched "best breakfast between ...." This restaurant came up in a Chowhound search in answer to the same question. How right they were! Creative, inventive, not too serious with just the right amount of humor and heat when you want it. First of all, though sorely tempted, we did NOT have the French toast creme brulee!!! My husband chose the barbecued pulled pork, which was plated with a sweet corn bread, an oriental cole slaw, eggs tempura and essence of five spices. I chose the "skillet," of grilled cubed chorizo and potatoes with tomatoes, onions and peppers, melted cheese, guacamole and sour cream, topped with two poached eggs. The coffee was spectacular and the jasmine tea made my husband's meal all the better. The atmosphere was almost serene and most inviting. And, I don't think anyone comes away hungry.