“Something new to try...”
Review of Break of Dawn

Break of Dawn
Ranked #9 of 103 Restaurants in Laguna Hills
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Something new to try but not a place I would come back to. Came here for my sister's bday breakfast with the family and we thought we would try something new. Well I'll only review 3 dishes. I had the French toast brûlée and it was really good. It's sweet for those of you who have never had brûlée. My dad had the Quail and if you don't like tomatoes you are out of luck. It's not a big meal. It's like two quail legs and lots and lots of tomatoes. Let's say he was not a fan. My sister had the Mac and Cheese and it was interesting the noodles were a little hard but it was different levels of noodles, eggs and meat.

Service could have been better. No one came to see if we needed coffee or water refills. Just ok not great. Don't think I would come back. But nice to try.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is an excellent and unique dining experience. Breakfast is what they do. No lunch. No dinner, although the hours of operation extend into early afternoon. And they do a great job.

They take traditional American breakfast fare and give it a tasty Vietnamese twist. It sounds strange but it isn't.

Example: they serve a crispy oatmeal pancake topped with fresh salmon and a poached egg with fennel, cucumbers and kumquat preserves.

Example: an omelet cooked in duck fat with duck meat, pickled beets and a creamy cauliflower sauce with toast points.

The staff is friendly, the atmosphere is laid back. Definitely worth exiting the I-5 freeway to chow down here.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I've never had Vietnamese for breakfast, but now I'm going to have to reconsider after our visit to Break of Dawn.

First off, how can you beat Vietnamese coffee for breakfast? Can't do it....so I had two!

We had the French toast and the oatmeal. Now, I know this sounds like standard "American Food," but it was made with a certain Vietnamese flair that was something quite unique and tasty.

They also had other traditional Vietnamese meals offered that looked mighty good.

It's too bad we're from out of town and can't come here regularly. We certainly would.

Pricing is a bit on the higher side than what you might normally expect, but I think the culinary delight is worth the price.

1  Thank OneBadCowboy
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Break of Dawn, one of my favorite breakfast spots in Orange County has reopened in their new location in the same little strip center as before.

The new space is great and has a wonderful, large patio area.

The food is the same great, creative Asian/Viet/French/Hawaiian mash up it was before. My father had the beef tongue brisket and if you did not know it was tongue you'd never have known it was anything other than just beef.

My mother had the Duck Fat Omelet, which was to die for; just amazing flavor.

And I opted for my favorite, Hawaiian Portuguese sausage, two eggs, rice and a Hijiki garni.

Thrilled that they are open again and I hope their old customers know that and find them.

1  Thank scottca075
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

The food at this place is amazing. Former Sous Chef from Ritz Carlton makes this place an extradinary find!