“Weekend Romantic Getaway to Laguna Beach Cities!”

The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
“Weekend Romantic Getaway to Laguna Beach Cities!”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My husband and I spent two nights over President's Day Weekend at The Hills. Our king-bed room was very spacious. Nice bed linens and we both slept very comfortably! Free bottles of water in our room were a nice touch! My husband is tall, so the high showerhead, great water pressure and deep tub were all a plus for us! There were some touch-ups with paint on the door and in the bathroom in mid-progress, but it didn't affect our visit in the least. Our room was on the I-5 side of the hotel, but you wouldn't have known it with no traffic noise at all! All of the facilities were beautifully appointed, nice lounge and restaurant, as well as a comfortable front patio seating area. Perfect location to head out to any of the Beach Cities. Major Amusement Parks North, Beach Cities, Artsy Enclaves, Irvine Spectum and upscale shopping...the area has it all! Front Desk Staff were especially courteous and helpful with directions, and greeted us each time we were coming or going to our room. I noticed some spots on the arm of the sofa in our room and reported it as we were checking out. The manager overhead my comment and immediately asked for my room number and assured me they would take action to correct the issue. We were very impressed with The Hills hotel and the staff, and will definitely stay again when we're in the area!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 107, which required walking down a steep interior ramp. I'm disabled and walk...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I can't even begin to describe the horrible experience that my husband and I had with this hotel when we stayed here on our wedding night. We got married on July 16, 2011, in San Juan Capistrano at a beautiful country club. Half of our guests stayed at the Dana Marina Inn in the Dana Point Harbor and the other half stayed at the Hills Hotel in Laguna Hills.
After our wedding night was over, my husband and I were "wisked away" in our hummer limo to our "honeymoon suite" at the Hills. We were so excited but very tired as well. When we arrived at the hotel at 2:30am ( I in my wedding gown and my husband in his suit), no one from the hotel even acknowledged us or helped us bring in any luggage from our car that had been parked at the hotel. We had to carry in all the luggage ourselves -- not exactly romantic.
Now that we had gotten our luggage ourselves, my husband and I entered the lobby and approached the front desk to check in to our room. Once again, even though there were two individuals standing behind the desk working on the computer, they were very rude. We didn't even get a single "hello" or "congratulations". Is this how you treat your guests? Even a simple "We'll be with you in a minute" would have suited me just fine. Instead, we were completely ignored for a good 10 minutes or so.
We were finally assisted by the men at the front desk. They gave us two key cards and we headed up to our room with our luggage in tow. At this point, I was so ready to get into our room and get some sleep, as we had a brunch to attend the next morning. To our dismay, when we slid our key cards into the door, we weren't seeing any green flashing lights that would give us access to our room. Instead, all we saw was bright red. Our room keys weren't activated! At first we thought this was a fluke and that it had just happened to us. However, when my husband went back down to the lobby to resolve this issue, it appeared that a couple other wedding guests of ours were experiencing the same issues. I was so embarrassed that my guests also had to deal with the hotel's incompetence.
Later on, my husband and I came to find that the hotel didn't even have a room for us in their system. In fact, when a friend of ours went over to the hotel 2 hours before our arrival to decorate our room with rose petals, and candles, there was no record of our room in the Hills' database. The room that they did put us in was definitely NOT newly remodeled and NOT a honeymoon suite by any means!! Instead, the hotel stuck us in whatever room they had available. Had our friend not gone to the hotel prior to us getting there, my husband and I would not have had a room on our wedding night.
Any other night, I might have let these little things slide, but the fact that I was a newlywed anticipating that romantic night in my "honeymoon suite" with my husband, kind of changed things a bit. I hope this hotel will not treat other newleyweds the way that we were treated. They definitely put a damper on my first night as a married woman.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Ronnie_Torres, Front Office Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Unfortunately, we do not have a bellman available outside the hotel however, our frontdesk agents can definitely assist you anytime. It would be greatly appreciated if we were informed either calling us ahead of time or informed us at the desk because our front loading/unloading zone is not visible from the frontdesk.

We did coach and remind our staff that even in a very busy night, we need to be more attentive and proactive. We do apologize about this and we are very confident that this will never happen again in the future.
Sandy, Utah
Reviewed 8 February 2012

This hotel was built as a Hilton, became a Holiday Inn and is now an Ascend Hotel by Choice Hotels. I understand the hotel was sold a few years ago and the public areas have and are in the process of being remodeled. In the meantime, all services are available. The staff is exceptional. The desk staff, manager, and waiter at breakfast, all went the extra mile. Even the grounds are beautiful. I'll stay again when nearby.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Ronnie_Torres, Front Office Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Wow! you know our History very well! This really shows how you like our service! We do really appreciate you for sharing your great experience here at The Hills Hotel and we are looking forward to your next visit and Thank you for the great conversation!
Reviewed 3 February 2012

- I really enjoyed the outdoor spaces, especially for night time conversations. The seating arrangements were classy & comfy.
- There was a wedding, and three or four sports teams staying that weekend... #1. It was really quiet, under control, looked organized, and I didn't hear anything. #2. When I talked to members of the various groups they all were excited about their stay, and in great moods.
- The room was clean, comfortable, and spacious.
- The staff was friendly and informative.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
chehalis Wa
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We spent 2 nights in this Hotel while visiting with my wifes sister & her husband it was a pleasent surprize they have remodel the hotel and did a wonderful job! We were also surprize that it was so quiet for being right on I-5. Weate breakfast in there and it was also nice and quiet and very good food!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Ronnie_Torres, Front Office Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 5 February 2012
Thank you so much for recognizing our hard work and there are a lot more surprises coming. Also, Thank you for mentioning how quite our rooms are especially the one's facing the I-5. Again, we appreciate you and your family for staying with us.
Modesto, California
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I have stayed at many places in this area and all have come to a near lousy "0" in my book after I stayed here. Everyone here is great so friendly and going out of their way to help me out. They helped me with my luggage to my room and set up a wake up call for me in the morning since I have an early flight. They even called me to make sure I was awake. They have everything here that I was looking for a quiet room lovely restaurant and close to everything. I would recommend this place to anyone and everyone I know if they happen to travel that way. I thank everyone at the front desk for being such great help with directions, local attractions, and even great places to SHOP!!! Whether your here for business or leisure your going to love.

Room Tip: Any one you choose your going to enjoy it with great pleasure!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Ronnie_Torres, Front Office Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
Thank you so much for highly recommending us! The next time you'll be in town please do not forget to stop by our newly renovated "Amber Lounge" the has great drinks, food and we have entertainment every friday and saturday nights. Again, Thank you so much for staying with us and we are looking forward to your next visit! Happy Holidays to you and your family!
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Hotel is a part of the Choice hotels Ascend collection so I expected better.

They may have pumped a lot of money into the lobby and lounge but that doesn't do much for me when I'm looking for a quality hotel room for a night or two. One of the other reviews said the rooms were like a motel. That about sums it up.

The beds were not comfortable (linens alone do not make for a comfortable nights sleep). The room we stayed in had a toilet that ran all night, the door had mismatched paint, the air/heat was a floor unit like you'd expect in a motel that blew right in your face if you were in the bed closest to the window and the faucet in the sink and shower sprayed water everywhere. The room was just blah. I can't think of a better way to describe it.

I'd rather them refurbish the rooms instead of the lobby and lounge but I guess my priorities are different. The rates were very affordable and that sums it up. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2011
Ronnie_Torres, Front Office Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
We valued your opinion. I will address this feedback to our weekly management meeting and we will make sure we will resolve any issues you experienced. Again, Thank you so much for your feedback and we are looking forward to your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laguna Hills