“Nice place with easy access”

The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Having stayed at The Hills after reading some mixed reviews on this site, I must say that my overall experience was good. When compared to other hotels in Orange County in this mid-price range, the accommodations are very good. The staff is very pleasant and was helpful when I asked for recommendations on nearby casual dining. The room was clean, the bedding very nice. The bathroom was a little small, but clean and similar to other hotels. All in, The Hills is a good hotel, at great price for a night or even two in Orange County.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Ronnie_Torres, Front Office Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Thank you so much for giving us a chance and it was our pleasure of having you as our valued guest.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

We had a great experience with the staff. They were all very friendly. The lobby is very very nice. The lounge and dining area are nice as well. As for the rooms, though the bed was comfortable it could definately use some updating. The bathrooms look like they are original. Wallpaper looked old. The countertops are very low, cabinets were old and dirty, tile in the shower was a pretty blue, but old. The carpet in the halls were enough to make you dizzy, they look really old. Elevator was hot and super slow....not good for the claustrophobic The outside grounds were ok, nothing spectacular. Looked like they were just about to redo something. It's convienent, right off the freeway. Few fast food and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! We also have newly renovated rooms available so please let us know the next time you will be in the area so; you can experience our boutique and classy newly renovated rooms. All of our carpets are recently installed and we appreciate your feedback. We apologize for failing to exceed your expectations and we will continue to make improvements to continue providing excellent service. I hope you will visit us again so we will have another chance to provide you an excellent service.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

My brother and were in town for medical reasons for 1 week. This hotel was recommended by the clinic. Night before his week long treatment, August 19, 2012 all our credit cards, cash, purse,camera,gps, medical records,i-phone were stolen while we were sitting in the lobby outside.
Very little concern on the part of the staff, front desk, etc. Honestly, as if it was an everyday occurrence, I phoned police, they showed and took the report and suspected it was an inside job and said that the hotel has a "history" but wouldn't elaborate. No cameras in the hotel in hallway or lobby, etc, Found that my ground floor window was unlocked.(didn't know it could open in the first place and the adjoining room had a broken lock. My friend joined us a couple of days later and found that she didn't have a lock all together. 2 nights later another robbery was reported at this hotel.
Absolutely, no concern on the part of hotel mangement/owers, etc. I couldn't believe it. I would have thought a free cup of coffee might be in order(at the least) but, nothing.
I will never go back to this hotel(as nice as it may look)., Don't judge a book by it's cover. Very unsafe and happened right under our noses and the staff. Clearly an inside job.
DO NOT CHECK IN,

Room Tip: Please don't check in at all unless security is present or the management and staff step it up
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Suzi4835
Ronnie_Torres, Front Office Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

We are saddened to hear about your missing items and as you know, we reported this incident to the local police right away. We have seen the police report and it was clearly stated that you were talking to someone (not an employee of the hotel) that you don't know and one thing you realized, your items where missing. The cops were here two days later because we asked them to come to investigate further. This is an isolated incident. Our hotel is safe as well as the City of Laguna Hills. Yes, our in room windows can be opened but only for 5 inches (Security feature). I am hoping that you will give us another chance so, we can prove to you that our hotel is safe and has great staff.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

We live in Mission Viejo. On Monday, August 13, we were having some work done on our home. In order to sleep comfortably, since we would be without air conditioning for the night, we went to the Hills Hotel. Our main reason for this choice was that they allowed our small dog to stay.

When I first called to see if they allowed pets and to inquire about a price, I was quoted $145 for the room. I did not book at that moment because I wanted to check with my husband to make sure he was okay with the price. He was and so I called back within five minutes of my first call. At the time of my second call, as I was booking the room, the person booking the room told me that the room would be $155. I told him that I was just quoted $145. He told me that they could accomodate that price and in fact could book the rooms for $139 instead. He also told me that there would be a $30 pet fee. I had no problem with that, so I booked two rooms, thinking one would be $139 and the other would be $139 plus the pet fee.

When I checked out, I was charged $139 plus the $30 pet fee for the one room and $159 for the other room!!! I spoke with the woman at the desk who brought out the manager (I think) who listened to my explanation of the price quotes and he kept telling me that they accomodated the one room because of the pet fee, but that the other room, which was the SAME room, right next door, would be $159 with NO pet!!! He was charging me $20 more for the same room that had NO pet in it!!

They had the opportunity to make an accomodation and a happy customer. Instead they made an enemy. We used to go to Sunday brunch there. My husband and I both graduated from Mission Viejo High School in 1971 and 1972 and our classes have class reunions at this hotel. We have gone to Comedy Nights there and we have gone when Doug Houston was entertaining there. We LIVE in Mission Viejo and when we have friends visit who want to stay in a hotel, we give them THIS hotel's number.

The customer sevice at this hotel was horrible. There is NO reason that I can imagine that the manager could not have honored the price that was originally quoted to me. From this point on, we will no longer refer friends to this hotel. In fact, we will no longer go to any function that takes place at this hotel. It was a simple fix. The Hills Hotel let us down. But, it won't happen again.
The Laguna HIlls Lodge will be where we refer people in the future.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Susan B
Ronnie_Torres, Front Office Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Good Afternoon! We appreciate your feedback and taking it seriously. I have sent you a private message to get more detailed information so, we can correct this incident right away. Thank you!

Reviewed 6 August 2012

We arrived at The Hills Hotel on July 14, staying for 7 days. I read the reviews, herd they had done some renovations, noted they advertised free WiFi and thought this would be okay. For starters, the grounds are well taken care of and the lobby is lovely, but they forgot to renovate the rooms. The carpet, furniture, drapes are need an update. The bathroom is in terrible shape. The WiFi didn't work for two days, the televsion had limited channels (they are working on it) was what we heard during our stay. The dining room was very good and the serving staff very friendly. The staff had the front desk were very nice, but that didn't make up for the condition of the room. We were lucky we had an inside room. Friends had an outside room facing the highway and they found the noise dreadful.There was a pool & exercise room, but no spa. The A/C did not work very well and during the night you had a choice of a very warm room or a fan located across from the bed blowing all night.

Room Tip: If you don't care, this will do; but there are better hotels not far away.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Ritalb

Thank you for the feedback. You are right, at the time you checked in we had some technical difficulties with our WIFI but was taken care right away. As a matter of fact we have installed 3 T1's to broaden the bandwidth of our internet and now, we have better internet connection. I hope you will give us another chance so, you will experience the new changes we did and this includes better internet service, more channel listings and new great changes to our rooms.

Reviewed 28 July 2012

Nice location and helpful staff but this place needs some serious upgrades. Carpets can smell moldy and rooms are right out of the 90s. With many nice places in the area, this is a last resort choice.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dellanno31
Ronnie_Torres, Front Office Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Thank you for recognizing our great service. I will make sure I will share this to all of our staff and everyone will be rewarded for it. We have done so many improvements such as newly renovated restaurant and lounge. Also, all of our rooms has upgraded flat screen TV's, new beds with plush duvet, complimentary high speed internet, newly repainted sleeping rooms and we've installed new carpets to all of our rooms that hasn't been replaced few years back. We inspect our rooms and made improvements. I hope you will visit us again for you to see the improvements we've made.Again, Thank you for recognizing our great service.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stayed for 3 nights for a weekend and to attend a wedding reception at this hotel. It's a good size room, though a bit dated. Nice lobby, good breakfast, and love the drinks and jazz music at the lounge. It has free wi-fi and parking. And though our room is facing I-5, we didn't really hear the freeway noise. One complaint -- the shower didn't have enough cold water. The first day, we were able to get the cold water to work after several tries of turning the valve on/off, and left to right, but not on the next two days. It's still okay, but we had very hot, but short showers on the last two days. We left this comment with the front desk when we checked out and hopefully this was fixed for the next guest. Overall, we had a good stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

It was a pleasure serving you and your family. Thank you for informing the frontdesk about your cold and hot water situation in your room. Our head maintenance personnel resolved the issue as soon as you informed our frontdesk. Again, Thank you for staying with us and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laguna Hills
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
#1 of 10 in Lake Forest
Courtyard Laguna Hills Irvine Spectrum/Orange County

Been to The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels? Share your experiences!