The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful getaway at the Hills. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We had fun with the bartender from Austria, and enjoyed the live music. The room was clean and nicely appointed. Our only complaint was that the simple continental breakfast and coffee offered should be complimentary as with most 3-star hotels.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Karen,

Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'm delighted to hear you and your husband had a wonderful stay with us. I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their friendly service as well. Hope you get a chance to visit Laguna Hills again soon!

Take care,

Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed just one night and had a positive experience. The room was a good size, bathroom in good condition (although the shower was a bit low on pressure), free wi-fi, reasonably priced breakfast, helpful staff. The room's air con unit was a little noisy but generally the place was very quiet.

If you're happy with three star accommodation, then The Hills is a pretty good, especially at the price I paid.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Thanks for recommending us! I'm glad to know you found your room both comfortable and affordable. I hope you keep us in mind the next time you visit Laguna Hills!

All the best,

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Got there late, so didn't check out any amenities. The room was good sized, but there was an abundance of mold in the bathtub which was pretty disconcerting. Convenient location came with loud traffic but it was drowned out by the air conditioner. The elevators were dilapidated and plain scary. This place is decades over due for a real update and is way overpriced. But then again this IS Orange County. Mea culpa, we were so tired, we didn't complain.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room first and check out the bath/shower. Or BYOB (bring your own bleach).
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Melinda,

I'm shocked to hear there was an abundance of mold in your tub. We normally put much more thought and care into the upkeep of our rooms. Do you mind letting me know what room you stayed in? I want to make sure we fix the problem right away. When you get a chance, please call me at (949) 586-5000.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Iove the hotel... Only thing I would change is the temperature f the room when u first get there...talk about sauna ... Other than that great hotel great staff . Beautiful ball rooms area. Atm available. Inexpensive breakfast available. Drinks at night time.

Room Tip: Microwave only in select rooms FYI
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their service, and I look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

For the price, I was expecting a complimentary breakfast, but we did not receive that. I was pretty disappointed. The rooms weren't bad. They were clean but you could definitely tell we were in an older room. Would maybe stay there again if in the area but we did not feel this was one of the "better" hotels in the Ascend collection.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed by us. We've worked hard to offer our guests a clean and comfortable space, renovating the entire interior of our hotel. Besides a complimentary breakfast, what can we do to better serve our guests? I sincerely appreciate your feedback and hope to hear back from you soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Location was great, beds were good and clean rooms were kept up nice except for the fact our shower bottom was warped and uneven and needed to be replaced. Hallways were dark and gloomy needed a good paint job and lighting. Overall was a good stay... quiet in our room.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Brandon,

Thank you for letting me know about your experience. I'm glad to know you appreciated our convenient location and our clean and comfortable rooms. I appreciate your detailed feedback about our showers and hallways, and will definitely keep it in mind the next time we renovate our interior.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

This is a good place to stay. The lobby looks really good as you enter the hotel. The lounge looked nice and the restaurant is also good. The staff seemed very friendly and eager to help. The rooms are very well laid out with enough space to move around without bumping into things. The bathroom was very well done with a dual-flush toilet and nice fittings. The only thing that I noticed were the walls in the corridor that seemed a little bare for a hotel of this stature. Perhaps an upgrade to that and the carpeting would make the plan shine even better. Didn't go to the pool but it looked good with people enjoying it. I wish my trip was longer.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Hi Jay,

Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to know you had a great experience from the moment you walked through our doors. I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their friendly and helpful service as well.

Please know that we are currently in the process of upgrading our entire interior, including our walls and carpeting. We hope to have everything completed soon.

Looking forward to your next trip to Laguna Hills!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laguna Hills
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
#1 of 10 in Lake Forest
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels? Share your experiences!