The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
San Diego, California
“Nice Stay”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The Hills Hotel is conveniently located right off the 5 freeway. We stayed here the night before the Jingle Bell 5k. We booked it last minute for a great price and were very pleased with our stay. The front desk staff was very welcoming and polite. Our room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The only negative was we were the first room inside the door and heard it opening and slamming all night and had smoke come in our room a few times from people propping the door open and smoking outside. I would just make sure to request not to stay by the door next time, but we will definitely consider The Hills the next time we are in town.

Room Tip: Ask to stay away from the doors that go outside. It's too noisy inside the room otherwise.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Ronnie_Torres, Rooms Division Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thanks for staying with us, Nicole! I'll be sure to pass along your message to the front desk staff. They're truly dedicated to their work, so they'll be thrilled to hear you found their service welcoming and polite. I appreciate your feedback about the smoke and noise getting in your room, and will make sure it's better insulated for future guests. It was a pleasure having you, and I look forward to your next stay with us.

Ronnie Torres, Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
San Diego
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Unfortunately when my wife and I booked this Hotel for 1 night, they had a wedding with approximately 150 people and the parking lot was loaded making it impossible to find parking once we returned. So if you plan to stay at this hotel, you may want to ask if they are having a wedding on the night you are going. The hotel staff should have told us in advance that there was going to be a wedding and that the hotel was going to be full. If they are having a wedding, DO NOT STAY HERE. They actually roped off the stairs so you could not go down to the lobby level via the carpeted stairway forcing you to use an elevator that is outdated and slow. The bathrooms showed tremendous wear and tear.

The other thing - this hotel need a renovation - BADLY. The elevator wood is badly scarred, the windows in the room have gaps so that air and rain come in and the it has a general appearance of just not being kept up. We were in room 308 and there was a 1/2 inch gap between the sliding window and the permanently fixed window that you could not close.

I would have rather paid another $20.00 and stayed at the Ayres Suites. Looking at the other reviews, it makes me wonder who is actually writing a positive review of this place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Ronnie_Torres, Rooms Division Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Hi Mike,

I'm truly sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us. The last thing I want is for any of our guests to feel inconvenienced. I'll definitely take your feedback to heart and work with the staff to make sure all our guests enjoy a comfortable stay, regardless of whether a wedding is taking place.

As for our interior, we are currently renovating all our rooms. I'll make sure the sliding window in room 308 is fixed as soon as possible.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The Hills Hotel is conveniently located right off the 5. We stayed here over Thanksgiving weekend. We booked it last minute for a great price, and were very pleased with our stay. First off, the front desk staff were very welcoming and polite. Our room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The ambience has a "modern-chic" feel. Overall, the hotel was a great experience. Next time we are in town, we will definitely consider The Hills.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Hi Josh,

Thanks for staying with us during Thanksgiving. I'm happy to hear you were pleased with your stay and thought your room was clean and comfortable. I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their welcoming and polite service as well.

Looking forward to your next stay with us!

Take care,
Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My company uses this hotel regularly for our out of town clients and also meeting space for corporate functions. Use to be a Holiday Inn and is an older building but now has a modern, fresh feel and we really don't have anything like it here is South Orange County. The meeting rooms range from upscale boardroom to a grand ball room upstairs. You could have a simple company meeting, wedding reception, anniversary party, or a sweet 16 - something for every budget. I recently stayed the night myself for the first time because of plumbing issues at home and it was a great little get-a-way! The food and wine in the bar and restaurant was excellent. Home made fresh salsa with the pulled pork tacos and my breakfast of eggs benedict was yummy! Everything about the room has been remodeled. Large rainforest showerheads, beds were dressed like the "heavenly beds" at the big resorts and I slept great. It's a unique property, neighborhood type hotel for visiting family and all sorts of functions. Ronnie gets my highest praises for customer service - he is unsurpassed in this industry. And really the entire staff is friendly and helpful....

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Ronnie_Torres, Rooms Division Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you for keeping us in mind whenever out of town clients are visiting Laguna Hills. It's really nice to know you appreciate our hotel's fresh and modern atmosphere. As you mentioned, we've recently remodeled our entire interior.

Thanks also for your kind words about me personally. The credit for our customer service really belongs to the entire team. I'm lucky to work with such a hardworking and dedicated group of people. It's been a pleasure hosting you and your clients, and I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

All the best,
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I have been staying at this hotel two nights a week for a few months now. I feel it is way above the usual business accommodations available in this area for the same price. I have found the staff to be very courteous and responsive to my needs. The hotel is very accessible, parking is convenient, the lobby is pleasant and the rooms clean and comfortable. The food in the restaurant is very good ( try the salmon dinner) and the wait staff excellent. I would highly recommend the hotel to anyone needing to be in this area on business.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Ronnie_Torres, oms Division Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us over the past few months. It's really nice to know you've found our hotel comfortable and convenient and think our service is courteous and responsive. That's the goal! I sincerely appreciate all your support.

Take care,
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I had the pleasure to stay at The Hills Hotel in Laguna Hills on a recent business travel. You can tell that the building itself is very old, but they do a decent job of making it look trendy by playing with the decor. In terms of other patrons at this hotel, I saw an eclectic group of people, everyone from business travelers, tourists, to retired couple ( I didn't see many kids).

What really stood out to me about this hotel was how friendly, and professional the staff were. Upon check in, we received a coupon for a free glass of wine/beer at the bar.When my colleague needed to make copies of material for work the next day, the front desk staff were more than happy to help. When I needed a cab in the morning, again, the staff was very helpful.

The room was very clean and spacious. And despite my room facing the freeway side ( I-5 I think), it was surprisingly quiet. There is a very small gym in the back of the hotel. (Apparently there is a 4 mile walk/jog trail around the hotel, too) I had breakfast at the hotel's restaurant and it was reasonably priced and delicious.

I would recommend this hotel to those who might be looking for a place to stay in Laguna Hills/Mission Viejo area.

Little side note for those looking to have lunch/dinner in the area: There is a very small mexican food restaurant called Perla's Taqueria about 10 minuets away in Mission Viejo. They have, quite possibly, the best tacos I have ever had in my life!! I'm from the Pacifc Northwest :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mikimas202
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

I Have been to this hotel three times in the last few years. It is convenient when I visit my grandparents or we would have never been back a second time let alone a third. This hotel is falling apart and instead of fixing the necessities they focus and trying (poorly) to dress it up. The pluming in two rooms in our party was broken. The windows were nearly impossible to get open and when you did they didn't have stops do the kids could easily have fallen out. One room in the party smelled seriously like urine and mold. The fixtures in the bathroom were loose and the rooms were lightly and poorly cleaned. The restaurant was overpriced and mediocre and had no kids menu.

I have worked in hotels in just about every position. Sometimes older ones take work. If Management has their priorities straight this work can be done and leave guests with a positive experience. That is just not the case here. I will not be back.

Stayed November 2013
Ronnie_Torres, Rooms Division Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
I'm alarmed to hear you had such a negative experience with us. We definitely don't try to cover up necessary repairs with mere cosmetic fixes. In fact, over the past year we've committed ourselves to renovating and modernizing our entire interior. As such, I'm shocked that one room in your party smelled so unpleasant. Do you mind calling me at (949) 586-5000 with the room number? I want to make sure the plumbing in that room is completely functional. Also, since you're also experienced in the hotel industry, I would appreciate any constructive suggestions to improve.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laguna Hills
Best Western Plus Irvine Spectrum Hotel
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
#1 of 10 in Lake Forest

Been to The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels? Share your experiences!